• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Didn't know where else to stick it, but since i used it on a mosin, i figgered here was as good a place as any.

got 2 cans of wipeout today. i knew it'd be here, so I took the mosin out of its furniture in anticipation. shot the barrel full of foam, waited an hour and VERY blue liquid ran out with the first patch. pushed a bunch of patches through it. when it got to a reasonably clean patch, i reapplied wipe out and waited ANOTHER hour. MORE blue liquid, followed by dark grey patches. pushed a bunch more patches and got down to a reasonably clean one. reapplied wipeout one more time, gonna let it sit till i get home from work tomorrow. Let's just say that I'm a believer now, cuz I started with what I thought was a pretty clean barrel. I'm gonna take the mosin out on saturday, can't wait to see if it's accuracy improves any. :)

so, TLDR; Wipe Out is worth the money and I'd like to thank all the gurus that recommended it!

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    Did you use the Wipe Out Accelerator also with it, Supposed to double the speed of cleaning the weapon. It seems to work better with it than without it.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Glad to see it. I too am a convert thanks to the advice of many others on MDS.

As for where to put the thread, I probably would have started it in The Depot.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I'd like to see what this stuff can do to my Mosin's bore. I'm confident that it will never come clean, but you never know. Anyone have a can to spare? :D

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I too am a convert thanks to the advice of many others on MDS. I was cleaning the old fashion way for almost the entire day on one of my bolt rifles. When I heard about Wipe-Out, I tried it on the gun I spent all day cleaning and was amazed on how much crud was still in the barrel. It's what convinced me to keep using it.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Got up this am, couldn't wait to see what an overnight application would do. on this, my third application, i only got a light blue patch to start with. after several more patches, i got to a light gray. didn't have more time so I put a very lightly CLP'd patch down it. I might give it one more try tonight, but I have to put it back together so i can shoot it tomorrow!

I want to try this stuff on my turkish mauser, but I can't get the front barrel band off and i don't wanna take the chance on ruining the finish on it's wood.

I wonder what it'll do to my pistol's barrel :)

I need to buy more guns so I can try wipeout on them!

edit: i didn't buy the accelerator. i figured I could be patient and wait at least an hour between cleanings. I was WRONG. get the accelerator. I'll pick some up w/my next order.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I noticed something some of the old Mosins I used. After the initial cleanings, shooting the rifle seems to blast some of the really stubborn crap out of the barrel. I think this crap is stuck in between the lands in the rifling.

I cleaned with the wipe-out and it was a great improvement but once I shot the rifle and cleaned it again it was super shiny!!

Winchester_guy87

Mar 2, 2011
    Odenton
    So everyone so far seems to be really happy with this stuff. Where can I pick a can of it up? I have a RC K98 that I can never seem to get clean...

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Gotten all of mine through Midway. I wish more local guys would carry it.

One caveat to cleaning the hell out of a surplus barrel is sometimes the copper buildup helps fill in the pits and scratches and improves accuracy. A little crud sometimes does a barrel good, as counter-intuitive as that sounds.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    So everyone so far seems to be really happy with this stuff. Where can I pick a can of it up? I have a RC K98 that I can never seem to get clean...

I've not had much luck finding it at gun shops or gun shows, but it's easily found online. I usually get mine from Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=784639?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

don't forget this http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=237658?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

not to mention http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=461265

Winchester_guy87

Mar 2, 2011
    Odenton
    I am trying to save myself 200 bucks, I was thinking about getting the Outter's Foul Out system... But if I got that I would be willing to let others use it for a small price :innocent0

Giogolf

Jan 3, 2011
    Harford County
    My Mosin was abear to clean... almost 50 patches and nothing... Took her to the range and shot the crap out... Got home corked the barrel and filled her up with Mineral spirits... next day drained her out... passed the brush a few times... 2 patches dry.. then 2 patches #9.. 3 patches dry and no more black!.., one pathc of oil and she is back in the case.

Man these Mosins are dirty

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Gotten all of mine through Midway. I wish more local guys would carry it.

One caveat to cleaning the hell out of a surplus barrel is sometimes the copper buildup helps fill in the pits and scratches and improves accuracy. A little crud sometimes does a barrel good, as counter-intuitive as that sounds.

I too have heard this. My accuracy is bad enough, it can't hurt. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom