• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Nice crack in the armor, however no where near the Richter Scale breaking slide necessary for it to become reality. Especially in Marylandistan.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

crowleycr

Mar 4, 2012
    Lexington Park
    Before everyone gets too excited I suggest you read or at least glance through the different sections.
    Section 4.2 b. 1.

Unless you have a state permit you're SOL. Thanks Maryland:sad20:

Its a bit tedious but if you got the OPM letter regarding identity theft, you have G&S in MD.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    I just moved to a new job on a small base in PA. I'm also our building's rep to the monthly Base CO's meeting, which is today. I'm going to bring it up and see what happens, but I'm keeping my hopes low.

Florida_11B

Jun 10, 2016
    I am almost 99% sure of this but I would tell you friend to be careful with this. The main reason being is that the us government pays the lease on that property and as such falls under 18 usc 930 and is subject to prosecution. So that most definitely is illegal

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    I just moved to a new job on a small base in PA. I'm also our building's rep to the monthly Base CO's meeting, which is today. I'm going to bring it up and see what happens, but I'm keeping my hopes low.

Same here, I just sent my boss the "Justification" he wanted and told me that he'll send it up. I don't expect it to get approved. One of the things he brought up was "what about others"...and I'm like, well, they wont know if I'm CCing or not and they can apply just like I am if they wanted to carry..

The logic that I have to "think of others" and their "safe places" because some might see a weapon and get scared...

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA

Well, that went over like a fart in church. "I'm not going to have 4500 people carrying personal firearms on my base." "I don't have the staff to administer new requests every 90 days." "Why would people need to carry guns? We have police here."
    I just kept my mouth shut and shook my head. The last comment really irritated me. First, the base barely has enough cops to man the gates. They don't patrol. At all. Second, there's a special emergency number for base emergencies that goes to a central office. Problem is, no one knows it. In real emergencies, people call 911. It takes time to transfer the call to the base emergency center. I also hear the cell towers around here aren't equipped to locate emergency calls by GPS. That means calls are routed based on area codes of the phone. If that's true, I'll get a Dallas dispatcher if I call 911 from my cell. Yeah, we're perfectly safe here.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Well, that went over like a fart in church. "I'm not going to have 4500 people carrying personal firearms on my base." "I don't have the staff to administer new requests every 90 days." "Why would people need to carry guns? We have police here."
    I just kept my mouth shut and shook my head. The last comment really irritated me. First, the base barely has enough cops to man the gates. They don't patrol. At all. Second, there's a special emergency number for base emergencies that goes to a central office. Problem is, no one knows it. In real emergencies, people call 911. It takes time to transfer the call to the base emergency center. I also hear the cell towers around here aren't equipped to locate emergency calls by GPS. That means calls are routed based on area codes of the phone. If that's true, I'll get a Dallas dispatcher if I call 911 from my cell. Yeah, we're perfectly safe here.

Not sure which base you're located at, but for us here, at PAX it goes like this. Pick up any desk phone and dial 911 and it'll go directly to the regional dispatch center at the Washington Navy Yard. No call transfer is needed. Caller explains situation and the appropriate dispatch is made to the appropriate base for action. Call from a cell phone and the call will go to one of the tri-county dispatch centers who, once they know the call is coming from PAX will immediately route the call to the regional dispatch center at the WNY. Yes, that's a transfer that has to happen, but it's pretty smooth and quick.
    As for the "why" question, IF this ever becomes a real possibility (remember, DoN, CNIC, and local bases will have to write instructions because the DoD directive certainly is not going to be used as is) I will first ask for blanket carry (if permitted by the instructions) and if that is denied I will ask for at least the ability to transport and keep in my vehicle. At the very least that means I don't have to go home to arm up before going out into town for local errands, or go home to secure my gun prior to coming on base to go to the commissary after having been out in town.
    Either way...there is a long way to go before this is fleshed out (at the Navy level) and anything is implemented and allowed...or not.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Not sure which base you're located at, but for us here, at PAX it goes like this. Pick up any desk phone and dial 911 and it'll go directly to the regional dispatch center at the Washington Navy Yard. No call transfer is needed. Caller explains situation and the appropriate dispatch is made to the appropriate base for action. Call from a cell phone and the call will go to one of the tri-county dispatch centers who, once they know the call is coming from PAX will immediately route the call to the regional dispatch center at the WNY. Yes, that's a transfer that has to happen, but it's pretty smooth and quick.
    As for the "why" question, IF this ever becomes a real possibility (remember, DoN, CNIC, and local bases will have to write instructions because the DoD directive certainly is not going to be used as is) I will first ask for blanket carry (if permitted by the instructions) and if that is denied I will ask for at least the ability to transport and keep in my vehicle. At the very least that means I don't have to go home to arm up before going out into town for local errands, or go home to secure my gun prior to coming on base to go to the commissary after having been out in town.
    Either way...there is a long way to go before this is fleshed out (at the Navy level) and anything is implemented and allowed...or not.

That process isn't even remotely "quick" at Pax. We had a guy on our Softball team break his leg sliding into third on base at the field right between the ASTC and the fire department. We called 911 on our cell phones and sat back and watched in amazement. We were literally 100 or so yards from the fire department and it took longer than 5 minutes for the ambulance to turn on its lights and sirens to drive around the back of their building. We actually had someone walk over to the building and get someone after waiting so long.

At the end of the day, the DoD treats people like children. Some Navy admiral gets caught taking hookers and blow in exchange for contracts and I've got to take Trafficking in Persons training and get briefed on ethics while the idiot actually needing the training gets "forced" into early retirement. I don't see the DoD actually allowing people to carry on base. Someone could get hurt, and besides, that is why they have gate guards, to keep the bad guys out. Don't mind the Navy Yard, or Fort Hood. Even in Iraq, we weren't allowed to carry our weapons unless we were on duty, and while the Army had to carry their weapons, they had to turn in all their ammo. We weren't allowed to carry in a war zone, I highly doubt they would allow people to carry state side. The military is way to risk averse for that. It is much easier to make everyone take active shooter training once a year. Remember everyone, Run, Hide, and as a last resort Fight.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    tkd4life said:
    The military is way to risk averse for that. It is much easier to make everyone take active shooter training once a year. Remember everyone, Run, Hide, and as a last resort Fight.

Well, the instruction is pretty clear that the request is to include an acknowledgement that the requestor understands s/he maintains liability. Base COs should be off the hook for any liability. It's much more dangerous to drive, but they let people do that on base. :innocent0

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco

Least you got a no upfront...my Justification letter was kicked because I have to add more info to it...Think I rather have a quick no than to have to type up a page or two and then get a no..

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Well, the instruction is pretty clear that the request is to include an acknowledgement that the requestor understands s/he maintains liability. Base COs should be off the hook for any liability. It's much more dangerous to drive, but they let people do that on base. :innocent0

But sometimes in the military it is much more dangerous to use logic than to drive. This will be one of those things where people will ask, then be denied based on some arbitrary reason then will be quickly directed to just shut up and color. Unless on the rare occasion your CO is a pro-gun person who likes to shoot in their personal time, I don't see very many people getting permission to carry.

Florida_11B

Jun 10, 2016

It isn't as simple as base CO's being off the hook. It is similar to the jump master being responsible for the jumpers but if someone were to get hurt due to the jump the CO would inevitably be responsible for it. Commander can be off the hook all they want but when something happens they will still be on the carpet justifying their decisions and aren't willing to lose that rank. I am not saying i am for or against this but here is something to think about. Active shooter on post and you are armed near him so what do you do i would try to find him to neutralize him so he doesn't hurt others. while you are doing that people see you and call 911 and say there isn't one but two shooters so now police look for two. when they arrive they see you. in the midst of all the chaos you might not hear their commands and they shoot you. Now the base commander is responsible for your injuries or even funeral. just my .02

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

You are attempting to push cooked spaghetti up a wall. Are you aware of that? In DoD, if anything changes from status quo even in the slightest, the change is studied, debated, sliced, diced, and supplemented until it no longer represents a change. The DoDI implementation process takes years, if it happens at all. I've seen several that have been ignored until they were rescinded by the next SECDEF. And you expect an answer in a month? Really??? :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom