• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Was out in the woods most of this week packing my .500 S&W BFR revolver. I made a western rig holster which hangs pretty low and wiggles around. So, I decided to make a more modern holster which will ride almost 6 " higher on the side. I started at 8 am and finished it up at 1:30 pm. Made a buffalo nickel snap and made a two-tone holster. It now rides really nice on the waist and has little movement when walking. I have a cowboy type sewing machine hand lever operated. As another note a friend has a horse and his bridal needed repair and could not find anyone to fix it locally. I told him bring it by and I will take a look. I actually made a brand new one using the existing hardware he will be sending me a pic of the bridle on his horse.

H1.jpg
    h2.jpg
    h3.jpg

Last edited:

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    nice work, what material did you use? I know how to hand stitch and use a sewing machine a few times I am not opposed to learning something new on the side.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Nice machine.
    What kind of dye do you use?
    I buy various dyes and the dye I used on the holster was made by Feibing's. Sometimes I make my own some of the brown dyes are made from the outer husk of black walnut shells. A black dye can be made by soaking fine steel wool in white vinegar.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    nice work, what material did you use? I know how to hand stitch and use a sewing machine a few times I am not opposed to learning something new on the side.
    I used a vegetable tanned 7 oz. leather which I typically use for holsters. Vegetable tanned leather takes dyes very well. I used to hand stich too and loved using sail twine. Two years ago, I purchased the Cowboy Outlaw hand-operated sewing machine. As it best suits my needs and does not require electricity, they are not cheap but well built.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    I used a vegetable tanned 7 oz. leather which I typically use for holsters. Vegetable tanned leather takes dyes very well. I used to hand stich too and loved using sail twine. Two years ago, I purchased the Cowboy Outlaw hand-operated sewing machine. As it best suits my needs and does not require electricity, they are not cheap but well built.
    Hell sewing machines in general are not cheap I think my grandmother's most recent machine was still north of $400, will check out some videos of the Cowboy outlaw machine and see what it's about. Thank you

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I buy various dyes and the dye I used on the holster was made by Feibing's. Sometimes I make my own some of the brown dyes are made from the outer husk of black walnut shells. A black dye can be made by soaking fine steel wool in white vinegar.
    Thanks.
    I use Fiebings to color match wood.
    A little bit goes a long way its pretty good stuff but I need to get some glass jars to store it once I open a bottle.
    I get it on my fingers and it will be there for nearly a week.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Thanks.
    I use Fiebings to color match wood.
    A little bit goes a long way its pretty good stuff but I need to get some glass jars to store it once I open a bottle.
    I get it on my fingers and it will be there for nearly a week.
    Yes, the die does a good job on the leather and fingers. I started to use nitrate gloves which made a big difference in non-staining of fingers.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Hell sewing machines in general are not cheap I think my grandmother's most recent machine was still north of $400, will check out some videos of the Cowboy outlaw machine and see what it's about. Thank you
    The cowboy outlaw machine was $1,100.00 3 years ago when I bought it is now $1,400.00. That does not include various needle sizes for different thread thicknesses.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    The cowboy outlaw machine was $1,100.00 3 years ago when I bought it is now $1,400.00. That does not include various needle sizes for different thread thicknesses.
    Hey that's less then I was thinking it would be and since its got no electrical parts it means it will work even if the grids down.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Hey that's less then I was thinking it would be and since its got no electrical parts it means it will work even if the grids down.
    That was the main reason I purchased the Cowboy. I have it mounted on a Husky bench with all my leather tools, and I can roll it into my trailer.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I prefer the bandelaro holster for my 45-70 BFR.

Its a lot more comfortable for me, and doesnt pull my pants down :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom