• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Cleaning area is a good idea. The classroom should be setup so you can do gunsmithing at each bench. A Gunsmith instructor could give cleaning lessons, armorers courses, scope sighting classes etc.....

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Cleaning area is a good idea. The classroom should be setup so you can do gunsmithing at each bench. A Gunsmith instructor could give cleaning lessons, armorers courses, scope sighting classes etc.....

It would be great to have someone on staff that could help with this stuff. Being shown how to disassemble, clean, re-lube and re-assemble would really help.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I'd pay a little more for a stocked cleaning room. Maybe have some things like patches available for purchase and jigs/ brushes/ rods available for rental. I hate cleaning a handgun when I get home since I don't really have a workspace for it.

Use their pool tables. That will learn them.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    Even though I took the survey it was pretty confining. I kept looking for an "It Depends" button.

For instance, "If there were leagues would you join them?".

I think this person should open a thread if he hasn't already for input as FreeState did.

Although that thread got way stupid at times, I still think there were some useful opinions/wants.

:thumbsup: +1

he should open a thread and provide feeedback like randy did. this way we can know how far along this dream range is, and what exactly he is trying to do.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It would be great to have someone on staff that could help with this stuff. Being shown how to disassemble, clean, re-lube and re-assemble would really help.

Thats part of my business plan for a place of my own. Classes and Instruction is highly sought after. I have over 400 people wanting just my basic AR Class. I cant imagine how many would jump for other speficific areas of instruction. Even Scope And Optics mounting would be in high demand.

dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    I'm on my phone, so can't do the survey atm. However, cleaning/maintenance areas would be grand.

If they plan on doing an indoor shoothouse type scenario, they could potentially open it to airsofters on a limited basis to help defray the costs...just an idea.

If I had a couple mil in hand, that's what I'd do...100yd indoor range, and dual-use shoothouse.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IIRC, SEG does airsoft in their shoothouse facility. Very popular, so I've heard. You'd definitely get a huge turnout for that, and get in some folks who would otherwise not be coming.

The cleaning area idea is nice, but I'd prefer just X free cleanings (ala Freestate) than provided materials (who too many people will just take and run).

At the risk of pissing off our remaining IPs (and you know I love all of you): cheap transfers. Maybe even super cheap transfers for members, if the membership cost is high enough. And let people shoot their guns during the transfer period, like Freestate.

Oh, you know what else would be awesome? Actually having some sinks with that lead-removal soap so that shooters could wash off somewhat after shooting. Shooting indoors and not being able to clean up (somewhat) immediately always makes me feel icky.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    I would love a range closer to me. I hear Cresap is nice, but I'm busy most weekends so having something open weeknights would be great, especially on those bad days at work when you want to go blow off some steam.

A cleaning room would be nice. They don't have to provide cleaning supplies, just some tables/benches to work at, and maybe an employee who could help answer any questions customers might have about cleaning/disassembly/reassembly.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    A cleaning room would be nice. They don't have to provide cleaning supplies, just some tables/benches to work at, and maybe an employee who could help answer any questions customers might have about cleaning/disassembly/reassembly.
    I hate to say it, but the chances of having an area where people are handling uncased guns that's not a firing line is pretty remote, if only for insurance purposes. Some idiot pulls the trigger on a gun he "knew was unloaded", that's not going to look good to anyone.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I don't think the dart boards and pool tables are to be used as a social cub but more as a way to pass time while waiting on a lane or a class to begin. I would much rather have that then just sit there waiting. Time would pass much faster. :thumbsup:

This. Waiting would be easier with sonething to do.

I like the idea of rifle ranges, I hate shooting centerfire indoors though.

I'd love to see a move and shoot range, like three gun or indoor idpa....

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Even though I took the survey it was pretty confining. I kept looking for an "It Depends" button.

This is why I was wondering if the person came up with the survey himself. Plenty of the questions will be interpreted in different ways that may invalidate his results.

I'm also wondering what he's going to do with the info. Maybe it is to refine a business plan? Or perhaps it is to create some data to back preconceived ideas? Or maybe it's to convince a banker or partner who has some cash for him?

I also rolled my eyes at the clubhouse thing, but just now thought of something: why not have something for people to do if they are faced with a lengthy wait for a lane? Much better to keep them on site than to hope they'll come back after walking out. Numerous threads complaining about waits at NRA, MSAR, Gilberts, and Free State.

empire550

Spoons made me fat
    Nov 1, 2011
    The waiting room / lounge seems to be a good idea. A place to clean would be nice but I don't see how that will work out.

FreeState

Ultimate Member
    Oct 31, 2010
    White Marsh
    Done. I'm probably in the minority, but I really hate that they ask about crap like dart boards and pool tables. Ranges are overcrowded as it is, I don't want to pay extra for a social club so that people are more inclined to sit around.

Yes, I'm feeling grouchy this morning.

As a FreeState member commented, our pool table gives him the opportunity to shoot two two things badly.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The waiting room / lounge seems to be a good idea. A place to clean would be nice but I don't see how that will work out.

Such a place would be nice but a liability in a facility where you are going to have all levels of shooters and all levels of prudence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom