• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    This looks like an interesting surpressor. Its a multi-part body, only the lower portion is registered, so you can replace the baffles or upper section if needed with no ATF paperwork.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sturmgewehre

It is also multi-caliber (5.56/5.45) (7.62/9mm)due to the fact that the surpressor uses an omni-adapter, which can be swapped for different applications. $499, available after the first of the year. The company Huntertown Arms already produces a .22 caliber for $349.

http://www.huntertownarms.com/kestrel22.php

Thoughts? Opinions? Seems like a good idea and a very good price. Since I want to get a 5.56/5.45 and a .22 to go with the 9mm I'm waiting on; the features and price-point are attractive.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I saw this as well. I applaud their design wich allows repair after being damaged but I think that so many threaded parts will be problematic.

The threaded portions will shoot loose when you dont want them to (End Cap, Mount, Suppressor Body) or will sieze up.

If people realized how bad user servicable cans were to get apart when they arrbon up they wont be too happy with this. It takes a mice padded vise or barrel blocks to hold the tube while a strap wrench or padded jawed tools work on the siezed parts. SOmetimes it takes hours or sonic baths or chemicals to penetrate the siezed parts before disassembly can even be attempted. The 7.62/9mm can is a neat thing but worthless unless they make a LCD/Neilsen Device for it for semi auto pistol use.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    This looks like an interesting surpressor. Its a multi-part body, only the lower portion is registered, so you can replace the baffles or upper section if needed with no ATF paperwork.

No. An SOT licensed manufacturer could do this without paperwork, but not you or I.

Much like the absurdity of the recent "chore boy" wire wool thread, suppressor components are considered to be suppressors themselves and the possession of spare or replacement baffles is consequently illegal. A private individual who legally makes a Form 1 suppressor can't even replace a baffle on his own creation!

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    They have since clarified their origional statments regarding replacments.

They require the suppressor to be sent in for those repairs. They will not and can not send out replacment parts to the end user.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    They will not and can not send out replacment parts to the end user.

Oh well. I still might try one. I like the idea of being able to use it on either a 5.55 or a 5.45. Though I suppose they sell adapters for that anyway.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I saw this as well. I applaud their design wich allows repair after being damaged but I think that so many threaded parts will be problematic.

The threaded portions will shoot loose when you dont want them to (End Cap, Mount, Suppressor Body) or will sieze up.

If people realized how bad user servicable cans were to get apart when they arrbon up they wont be too happy with this. It takes a mice padded vise or barrel blocks to hold the tube while a strap wrench or padded jawed tools work on the siezed parts. SOmetimes it takes hours or sonic baths or chemicals to penetrate the siezed parts before disassembly can even be attempted. The 7.62/9mm can is a neat thing but worthless unless they make a LCD/Neilsen Device for it for semi auto pistol use.

:thumbsup: What he said. I don't see any 'real' benefits here. Adapting can be done with other companies cans through QD adapters. The threaded sections are more areas that can cause misalignment issues. As far as cleaning after corrosive ammo, just soak your can in windex and allow to dry. Most good quality rifle cans are going to be stainless any way, so corrosive ammo is not a big issue. When they talk about changing the baffles under warranty, most large companies can cut the welds on their cans using laser or edm methods and replace the baffles in your existing can. A 7.62 can that will work on a 9mm, just means a real heavy 9mm can. The bore through the baffles is going to be really over sized for 7.62, meaning the level of suppression will not be as effective. With that kind of weight to withstand rifle use, the can will not work on any pistol with a moving barrel. I doubt a booster could even make it work reliably with that kind of weight. IMHO, it is all a gimmic to sell a suppressor with out dated baffle technoligy.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    :thumbsup: What he said. I don't see any 'real' benefits here. Adapting can be done with other companies cans through QD adapters. The threaded sections are more areas that can cause misalignment issues. As far as cleaning after corrosive ammo, just soak your can in windex and allow to dry. Most good quality rifle cans are going to be stainless any way, so corrosive ammo is not a big issue. When they talk about changing the baffles under warranty, most large companies can cut the welds on their cans using laser or edm methods and replace the baffles in your existing can. A 7.62 can that will work on a 9mm, just means a real heavy 9mm can. The bore through the baffles is going to be really over sized for 7.62, meaning the level of suppression will not be as effective. With that kind of weight to withstand rifle use, the can will not work on any pistol with a moving barrel. I doubt a booster could even make it work reliably with that kind of weight. IMHO, it is all a gimmic to sell a suppressor with out dated baffle technoligy.

I couldn't agree more. There are much better options out there. I'm not saying you have to shell out big bucks for the best. But this is a case of getting what you pay for. It seems like Huntertown Arms is playing the price tag game. Plus, after seeing some of their posts on other forums bashing other manufacturers, I don't have the best feeling about them.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm just getting into surpressors, and this seemed like a neat idea. I wasn't thinking about the possible downsides. Sure is nice to have a resource such as this forum to get knowledgeable opinions.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

Man, that's just cruel, and can get messy....:D

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Looks interesting. I am looking for a 5.56/7.62 can that is take apart and quick mount.

Wonder what 5.56 ammo they were using. Pretty quiet stuff and it cycled the AR.

Dave

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Looks interesting. I am looking for a 5.56/7.62 can that is take apart and quick mount.

Wonder what 5.56 ammo they were using. Pretty quiet stuff and it cycled the AR.

Dave

I can video my M4 with XM193 all day and it will sound like that with either can. It all depends where you put the camera and what distance you are shooting at. The sonic crack of the bullet is easily hidden when recording. There are no magical 5.56 rounds that are subsonic and will cycle a normal AR action.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    I can video my M4 with XM193 all day and it will sound like that with either can. It all depends where you put the camera and what distance you are shooting at. The sonic crack of the bullet is easily hidden when recording. There are no magical 5.56 rounds that are subsonic and will cycle a normal AR action.

Most people seem to forget that a subsonic .223 is really just a subsonic .22LR

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

Most people seem to forget that a subsonic .223 is really just a subsonic .22LR

+1. A good .223 can (with full powered loads) will only get the noise down to about the level of an unsuppressed .22 short.

semperfiusmc

Dec 28, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sturmgewehre

It is also multi-caliber (5.56/5.45) (7.62/9mm)due to the fact that the surpressor uses an omni-adapter, which can be swapped for different applications. $499, available after the first of the year. The company Huntertown Arms already produces a .22 caliber for $349.

http://www.huntertownarms.com/kestrel22.php

Thoughts? Opinions? Seems like a good idea and a very good price. Since I want to get a 5.56/5.45 and a .22 to go with the 9mm I'm waiting on; the features and price-point are attractive.

Thanks a lot for your interest (full disclosure: I own Huntertown Arms). We have put a lot of effort into the Kestrel 5.56 and Kestrel 7.62S suppressors, giving customers what they've asked for - a hearing-safe, light-weight, short, tank-like, user-serviceable centerfire rifle suppressor capable of being used on several host weapons at a price they can afford. We think these two suppressors will expand the market and introduce a lot of new customers to the world of NFA and hearing-safe shooting.

There are a few misnomers and incorrect statements in this thread I'd like to clear up.

I don't know how the threaded parts will be problematic. We have put quite a bit of engineering work into designing adequate opposing forces to keep the suppressor together. In the tens of thousands of rounds of testing we haven't had a single failure of a suppressor by unthreading, other than at the barrel, which we have no control over and can and will happen to any thread-mounted suppressor.

We designed the suppressor specifically so it will come apart even after intense and abusive use, including after over 1,000 rounds of corrosive ammo fired through a AK74. I'm not sure how you can fairly make the claim it won't come apart unless you've had one in your hands and tried to take it apart. As far as coming apart we designed hex into both sides of the suppressor so you can put one side into a bench vise and use a standard wrench or crescent wrench to get it apart. No sonic baths, strap wrenches, padded vise or receiver block necessary. Those are old tools needed to work on suppressors with less thought put into how to get them apart when they are filthy.

As to why a 7.62 / 9mm can, the Kestrel 7.62S is designed to be used on AK47s in 7.62x39, one of the few suppressors specifically rated for that platform. We opened the bore enough to handle all but the worst thread jobs, and in doing so opened it enough to support a 9mm carbine as well. At 19 ounces the Kestrel 7.62S is too heavy to be fired on a pistol.

There are no other rifle suppressors that we are aware of that support both threaded and QD applications. The real benefit is that you can buy one suppressor and adapt that suppressor to mustiple hosts, whether those hosts are threaded at 1/2-28, 24x1.5 mm, 14x1 mm, 1/2-36, 5/8-24, A2 flashhider, or other popular flash hiders.

Why clean a suppressor after shooting corrosive ammo? We put 1,000 rounds of corrosive 5.45x39 into a test can and let it sit for 3 days. The boor closed up by .010 because of the oxidized corrosive salts. Cleaning the baffles cleaned the corrosion up immediately and restored them to the condition they were in prior to the test. In another test we shot the can a few days after firing corrisive ammo. Upon inspection of the baffles when we tore it down we found a very small nick on one of them (a bafle strike). We were able to replace that part in seconds.

Yes, other manufacturers can cut their welded suppressors to repair them. They have to reweld and edm them as well. They don't do this for free. Some charge 60% of the retail price, and don't guarantee they can repair the suppressor. With our design if there is an end cap strike we replace the end cap. If there is only one damaged baffle we only have to replace one damaged baffle, not the entire stack. I'm not sure who really has the outdated technology in this instance.

An additional benefit of the user-serviceable design is longevity of the suppressor. Explosive gases inside a suppressor wreak havoc on the suppressor and over time will destroy any metallic material inside the suppressor. In a welded suppressor Inconel is typically used in the blast chamber as Inconel is less susceptible to errosion. But it still errodes, just not as fast as other materials. Inconel is very difficult to machine and adds to the cost of the suppressor. I would not purchase a welded suppressor that didn't have an Inconel blast chamber.

The Kestrel 5.56 is made of 100% stainless steel. We are able to do this because the baffles are designed to be interchangable. When cleaning the baffles, rotate them like you would the tires on your car. This will greatly enhance the longevity and lifespan of the suppressor. And if you shoot the suppressor enough that the baffles wear out, we will replace them for free for life under warranty. Do any manufacturers of welded suppressors offer that same commitment to their customers?

I couldn't agree more. There are much better options out there. I'm not saying you have to shell out big bucks for the best. But this is a case of getting what you pay for. It seems like Huntertown Arms is playing the price tag game. Plus, after seeing some of their posts on other forums bashing other manufacturers, I don't have the best feeling about them.

In our 17,000 square foot shop we are able to produce an entire suppressor in less time than other manufacturers take to engrave a tube. We could price our products ridiculously high, but we decided not to. We make a fair profit, allow the dealers who sell our products to make more money than selling competitive products, and the customer pays much less than they would had they bought another product. It's a win win win for everyone.

As to slamming other manufacturers, we don't do that. We don't need to. Compared to last year suppressor sales, based upon our sales this year we will be in the top 5 or 6 manufacturers of civilian suppressors in the nation. If you have an instance where you think someone did bash another manufacturer PM me the info. I'll fire them.

+1. A good .223 can (with full powered loads) will only get the noise down to about the level of an unsuppressed .22 short.

Agreed. While we continually improve the db reduction on our Guardian 22 and Kestrel 22 suppressors (both among the quietest 22 suppressors on the market), in center fire rifle we have one goal - hearing safe. There is no difference between 134 and 137 db, the range where most 5.56 suppressors fall. They are both loud. Over 140 is not hearing safe, and will ring your bell.

The Kestrel 5.56 has been tested and is hearing safe without hearing protection on an 11.5" machine gun. So is the Kestrel 7.62S on an AK47 host. Not only for the shooter, but those around them.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Welcome to the forum semperfiusmc. It's always nice to see new innovation by 07's. :thumbsup: No one has the monopoly on good ideas......which is part of the reason that I have cans from 8 different manufacturers. :) Looking forward to seeing some of your products.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom