• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I'd put it in a modern black synthetic stock to match. It looks odd as it is right now. I won't bash it though.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Yeah, I have seen this come up before; I once was on the road of Bubba and decided that I really enjoyed my rifles as they were, their story, history preserved in their appearance.

I figured if I wanted a modern looking rifle, I would buy/build one.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I'd put it in a modern black synthetic stock to match. It looks odd as it is right now. I won't bash it though.

I've seen one that was refinished OD green and it actually didn't look bad, as far as refinished rifles go. To each his own.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Your rifle so you can do with it what you want but god lord you could of used a more original finish. Many moons ago I too desecrated a milsurplus and I still have it, I use it to remind myself never to do it again.

Here are some "non matching" non bubba 1942 mosin pics to help redeem this thread.

That looks sweet! Finn marked!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'll bash it. It looks like crap to me ... but it may be beautiful to you, and it's your rifle. I don't understand why anyone would want to take a war veteran with character and make it look like something out of a toy store ... but it's your gun. Not bashing you ... just have a different opinion about how these firearms deserve to be treated.

Attachments

• Meh.jpg
      Meh.jpg
      71.7 KB · Views: 234

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    That came out really well. I'm a big fan of KG gunkote, it's nearly identical to the polycoat that CZ uses on some of their firearms. It's incredibly durable, and very very very protective of the metal underneath of it. The only better additive finish IMHO is cerakote, but frankly, you did not lose ANYTHING by putting the KG gunkote on. You basically 100% guarunteed that there will be no rust on the gun anyplace you've finished.

Just make sure you bake it long enough.

Jradack

Dec 12, 2013
    Somd
    I figured I was going to get pooped on for doing this to a mosin with just a few likes. Bottom line is I like it. It stands out from the rest of my surplus stuff. It could of been worse......... maybe I'll put a big green laser on it and a red dot scope. Maybe even a vertical gangsta grip. I could mount it to a trailer and tow it behind my jeep.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I figured I was going to get pooped on for doing this to a mosin with just a few likes. Bottom line is I like it.

Yep ... you knew that going in, so I gave you some poop. It's your gun, and you knew up-front that you were taking away most of the history of the rifle ... and it's a pretty common rifle ... and you said it was pretty trashed to begin with. The only reason I even respond to this sort of thread is so that some new person wandering in here doesn't see a post like this, think "Oh ... so that's what all the cool kids do to their rifles", and then go out and bubba up something with real value.

As a C&R collectors group, we should be encouraging preservation of historic firearms--no matter how common--and discouraging practices that destroy the history associated with a firearm.

It stands out from the rest of my surplus stuff. It could of been worse......... maybe I'll put a big green laser on it and a red dot scope. Maybe even a vertical gangsta grip. I could mount it to a trailer and tow it behind my jeep.

Why not just mount it to the jeep? (Which, I assume, has spinners on the wheels, fluorescent undercarriage lights, mudflaps with nekkid woman silhouettes, and clever bumper stickers all over it ... :rolleyes: ... BTW ... just pulling your chain.)

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    As a C&R collectors group, we should be encouraging preservation of historic firearms--no matter how common--and discouraging practices that destroy the history associated with a firearm.

Two things to keep in mind here:

1. As stated before it is the property of the OP and thus his to modify.
    2. Whenever another one is modified it increases the value of those left in original configuration.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Geeze, guys. There were what? 27 million of these things made? What does it matter if someone wants to refinish one, especially if it was in rough shape to start with. It's a $150ish dollar rifle. A little perspective please. Now don't get me wrong, as a pilot, I want to cry when I read that a P51, or some other rare WWII plane crashes and is lost. But I emphasize "RARE". Something that very few Mosins can ever claim to be. I have about 10 of them, and have been thinking about refinishing one of the rougher M44s myself; just haven't had the time with the new job.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    The simple fact is that out of all the Mosins imported here, 75% or more of them will be altered by someone who just wants an inexpensive high powered rifle. Without the demand of these people who choose function over collectability, these rifles likely would never have been imported in the first place, there would have been insufficient demand to make the economics work. This point came from the moderator of 7.62x54r.net, and from my observations is correct.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    The simple fact is that out of all the Mosins imported here, 75% or more of them will be altered by someone who just wants an inexpensive high powered rifle. Without the demand of these people who choose function over collectability, these rifles likely would never have been imported in the first place, there would have been insufficient demand to make the economics work. This point came from the moderator of 7.62x54r.net, and from my observations is correct.

Oh, interesting point. Probably correct.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    People modify collectible 3 window hotrods and they are WAY more collectible and VALUABLE than any Mosin will ever be.

His work looks solid IMO. The Mosin snobs are pretty funny as they are probably the laughing stock compared to Collectors like Luger and other highly valuable specimens.

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    the gun looks great. If the gun is better off refinished then do it. If itll clean up and have good character then I wouldnt refinish. While I enjoy the signs of age and travel, I have no problem enjoying a sweet thang like that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom