• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tinydata

Jul 29, 2011
    Potomac
    Dupage Trading recently posted a couple of M1903s for sale and this one caught my eye for one, and only one reason- the pre-WWII C stock attached to it! So, while the rifle may be a mixmaster, it is a perfect candidate for Camp Perry use.

Springfield Armory didn't manufacture a whole lot of the pre-war C stocks carrying the drawing number D1836. Most of them went to NM rifles while the service rifles received the plentiful S stock as replacements. The stocks not chewed up during the war seem to have been hoarded by collectors and shooters and consequently, I've never seen one for sale in decent shape.

The pre-war C stock is slimmer and features a different grip profile from the wartime manufactured C stocks from manufacturers such as Keystone and American Bowling and Billiard. Some people claim that it is a more comfortable stock but I don't have a wartime C stock so I can't comment on that aspect.

The rifle is in the 1.43 million range with it's original SA 10-32 barrel and a nickel steel bolt. The stock has been stamped with a Greek rack number but retains a decent SA/SPG cartouche.

As nice as it looks, the stock wasn't quite properly fitted. The barrel wasn't settling properly so I very, very carefully broke out a chiesel and sand paper and dropped the action a tiny bit further into the stock. It's still not as tight as a new production stock but I think the results speak for themselves:

100-2X at 100 yards- unsupported prone with 168gr handloads

For me, the C stock really is a much more comfortable option than the S stock, especially in offhand. The pistol grip allows the shooter to get a better grip on the rifle and pull it in toward the shoulder.

Thurmont and Camp Perry should be a good amount of fun this summer

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    Looks very nice, and great shooting too!

I've only had the opportunity to handle 1903's at gunshows, but I never liked the feel of the S stocks either. That's a real winner in my book.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I know we've had this discussion Before. But that could easily pass for a USMC rifle.

Did you get an SRS grouping around it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom