• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I'm also within the city limits, near the Laurel Municipal Center. To be honest, before I moved here, my wife and I had always thought of Laurel as not being one of the nicer parts of Maryland. Inside the city limits, though, it's actually really nice and cozy. Nicer and cozier about a week after my HQL comes in... ;)
    Me as well. Right around the corner from the municipal center.

Dec 25, 2012
    Welcome!!! I live in northern laurel, look into a glock it was my first handgun, they are very simple and not a whole lot to them...but it's best to go to a range and try a bunch out to see what you feel comfortably with...

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Thanks everyone!

I've been to 2A once now. A nice shop. Very likely where I'll buy my Ruger SR9, once my HQL arrives. (And I mean the minute I open that envelope, I will be out the door. And my wife has instructions to call me at work if anything arrives from MDSP.)

Glock makes a fine product, as I think every Glock owner will agree. I looked at the Glock 17, but the minute I picked it up, I knew it wasn't for me. The grip doesn't fit my hand, and I haven't found anything else from Glock that does fit me well.

Also, as noted in a separate thread, I bought my first firearm today (well, yesterday by now): a Windham WW-15. The story and pic are over here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=162565

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Welcome to the forum James, and welcome to the world of owning your own firearms! You're about to find out how cheap ham radio is. :lol2:

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    You are close to the jailbreak event.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=159061

Come and join.

I hope to be there. It will depend on my work schedule.

Welcome to the forum James, and welcome to the world of owning your own firearms! You're about to find out how cheap ham radio is. :lol2:

Unfortunately, I'm already discovering this. Postage on QSL cards may still cost more than 5.56 ammo, but even in contests, I can't work 'em as fast as I can blow through a case of ammo. (Plus as a QSL Bureau volunteer, I can QSL through the bureau for free.)

At least my vintage computers are still cheap... oh, wait...

CrazyIvan

Crazy Ivan
    Aug 2, 2013
    Scaggsville (Howard County)
    Welcome to the MDShooters forum!

There are a lot of good people on here. I've always received excellent advice and answers to my questions.

Though I didn't have a sharpshooter dad as an inspiration, I learned to shoot in Boy Scouts but never owned guns of my own until my wife and I found out that we both had interest in shooting/collecting guns (but we each thought the other would think it a poor choice of hobby). LOL

Cheers and Welcome!
    Ivan

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Hi everyone!

I've lived in Maryland for almost 10 years, and in Laurel for the last 3. I'd rather live in a freer state than the so-called "Free State" (what a joke), but having weighed all the factors that influence my overall happiness, this is where I'm staying for the foreseeable future.

I got started shooting in the Boy Scouts at summer camp, where I earned (over the course of a few years) Rifle Shooting and Shotgun Shooting merit badges, and the Sharpshooter qualification at the camp (under the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program's rules). My inspiration was, and is, my father, who toured Europe as a competition sharpshooter while in the Army in the late '60s.

I'm a strict constitutionalist, and I follow a very permissive meaning of the Second Amendment. Until now, however, I haven't owned any of my own firearms. An increasing concern with my family's safety, along with a deep-seated desire to fully enjoy my 2A rights has led me here.

I'm currently waiting for my HQL, sumitted to MSP on 10/10/2014. While I wait, I'm shopping for my first purchase... or maybe purchases.
    Look for a yard with 2 Hogan signs nearby. That is me. :D

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Though I didn't have a sharpshooter dad as an inspiration, I learned to shoot in Boy Scouts but never owned guns of my own until my wife and I found out that we both had interest in shooting/collecting guns (but we each thought the other would think it a poor choice of hobby). LOL

That's too funny! As noted elsewhere, I'm an avid amateur radio operator, and I've tried unsuccessfully to get my wife interested in that hobby. When I brought up my interest in getting a gun (or several), my wife was pretty nervous. I took her shooting at On Target, and afterward she wanted to know if she could get a gun in pink. She's a little tired of my current fixation on it -- brought about by my impatience waiting for my HQL to arrive -- but she's been more interested in shooting than ham radio. So there's that! :thumbsup:

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Welcome! You have found a great resource here. I would like to recommend that you become a Maryland Designated Collector as well. It offers you the ability to buy more than one handgun every 30 days. It also eases the reasons for transport a bit. Just apply with the MSP and wait for your approval letter. there is no cost to you and it makes things just a little better.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Welcome! You have found a great resource here. I would like to recommend that you become a Maryland Designated Collector as well. It offers you the ability to buy more than one handgun every 30 days. It also eases the reasons for transport a bit. Just apply with the MSP and wait for your approval letter. there is no cost to you and it makes things just a little better.

On recommendation from you and others, I am mailing in my C&R application tomorrow. Once I get that, I'll put in for Maryland Designated Collector. Thanks!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom