• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie Shooter

Feb 26, 2009
    Sykesville, MD
    As my name says, I am new to shooting. I grew up around firearms all my life, but I just recently made my first purchase, an XDM 9mm. I will hopefully be adding to my collection soon.

A couple of questions for all of you:

1. I live in Sykesville, so the AGC range is very convenient. However, you have to be a member of an associated club to use the facilities. Does anyone have any recommendations on any of the clubs?

2. My next purchase will probably be an AR-15. I need some advice on what to look for before purchasing. I am probably not ready to build my own yet. From what I've read here The Gun Connection is recommended, but is it worth the drive to White Marsh from Sykesville?

Thanks in advance for your help.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Welcome.

You might want to think about getting a C&R. For a new person getting into the sport, a C&R FFL is a good thing to have because you can get many different kinds of cheap starter guns to cut your teeth on. It will also get you discounts for online shopping on accessories and ammo for your new modern guns.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I had a lot of trouble getting any clubs in my area responding to me - You can just call the range, join 'their' club, mmss, and join right then and there. That's what I'd suggest. Then you can join another club if you have enough interest in one.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Welcome. I have not been to AGC but, i hear it's very nice. Have you been to Hap- Baker Range near Westminster? It is a very nice public range and as a in county resident is only $10.00/ day to shoot there. They have both rifle and pistol range with good R.O.'s. Here is link.... http://community.carr.org/fullrecord.asp?record=617

Gun Connection is worth the trip. I drive there from Carroll County and I am never dissapointed. His excellent reputation is well deserved.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Welcome to you new addiction. :beer:

I am a member at AGC. Just visit the web page. Picks a club that interests you and join. I have really enjoyed that range. :thumbsup:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Monumental is the largest and they don't require any sort of sponsorship, just show up at a meeting, fill out a form, join the NRA if you're not a member already, get voted on, pay your dues. Then you go for a range walk-through and you're good to go.

www.monumental.org

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Welcome aboard! Gun Connection is a small shop, but their top-notch service makes it worthwhile. They're knowledgable, friendly and competitivly priced.

Not sure where Sykesville is, but in all likelihood it's worth the trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom