• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    It appears part of their issue is traffic, parking & noise associated with a business, not that it's a gun business per se.
    My neighborhood's zoning wouldn't allow a commercial enterprise but if zoning did permit it, I would probably be against someone on my residential street wanting to start a business for those reasons.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This country's claim to fame is people starting businesses wherever they damned well pleased.

It's called having an idea and starting small. Out of your home. Out of your garage. Then building from there if things go as planned. Growth. Then more growth. Oh the horror.

Now this state has their collective noses and money grubbing hands up everyone's a$$es and in everyone's wallets. Permit this. Permit that. Zoning this. Zoning that.

I hope they get their permit. I hope they start their business. And I hope it angers a lot of town folk. Especially those folks who didn't take the risk to start their own businesses.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    It appears part of their issue is traffic, parking & noise associated with a business, not that it's a gun business per se.
    My neighborhood's zoning wouldn't allow a commercial enterprise but if zoning did permit it, I would probably be against someone on my residential street wanting to start a business for those reasons.

I don't know...the article mentioned people in that neighborhood having tax prep and a home based salon (IIRC) present. I'm sure both of those would be more traveled than a guy taking in a few rifles for restoration. Given the time frame for that work he won't have much traffic.

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    I think it IS all about guns. As Mr Breeze says, there are currently other home based businesses in Carroll Co Mt Airy that do have zoning approval. (My accountant is one of them).

Most counties have a review process to look at home based businesses & determine how much traffic they will generate. I live in Howard County, & my dentist was permitted to have a dental office in his basement, provided that he pave part of his yard for 6 parking spaces. That kind of thing is reasonable.

I know some folks who accept internet gun sales & have zoning approval for that, but they don't have any "stock". I think that the neighbors just got hysterical over that thought that this could be the camel's nose that could lead to a flood of new gun shops in their communities. It does sound like the petitioner wants to stock modern guns.

Larry David

Jul 1, 2013
    Carroll County
    FaceBook page

I've been told of a facebook page created by Melissa Straley for the yoga pants wearing residents of the affected neighborhood to voice their heart felt concerns.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    The article states that the president of Marylanders to prevent gun violence is not aware of another business like this in the state. Does that mean they have never heard of someone in Maryland running an FFL out of there house? I'm certain there is someone in MD who has an FFL and runs it out of their home. I understand the concern about opening a business in a residential area but like someone else posted earlier a small company has to start somewhere and there are people who have the salons etc out of their home. I think he's approaching it the right way, by having appointment only will limit the amount of traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008

This is just the means to prevent it, not the actual reason they dont want it. Anytime any business is opening and someone opposes it they throw out the "traffic, parking, and noise" issue and want them to pay for a study.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Interesting comment from the co-owner of Gun Shack. "It isn't like it's Avon." Really! If it was Avon, she would be OK with it but since it is guns and not in a business district like the business her father started, it's not. I'm thinking her real reason is that he would have less overhead and be able to sell at lower prices is the real reason she is opposed. If the guy wants to start a gun shop, my advise is to bring it to Eldersburg. I know, I have certainly given it some thought, for something to do when I finally leave my present field of work. Multiple ranges close by and no gun shops here!

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Interesting comment from the co-owner of Gun Shack. "It isn't like it's Avon." Really! If it was Avon, she would be OK with it but since it is guns and not in a business district like the business her father started, it's not. I'm thinking her real reason is that he would have less overhead and be able to sell at lower prices is the real reason she is opposed. If the guy wants to start a gun shop, my advise is to bring it to Eldersburg. I know, I have certainly given it some thought, for something to do when I finally leave my present field of work. Multiple ranges close by and no gun shops here!

If he started doing transfers, I'm sure he'd get a lot of business too. I don't think gun shack does them for anything they can get.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    This country's claim to fame is people starting businesses wherever they damned well pleased.

It's called having an idea and starting small. Out of your home. Out of your garage. Then building from there if things go as planned. Growth. Then more growth. Oh the horror.

Now this state has their collective noses and money grubbing hands up everyone's a$$es and in everyone's wallets. Permit this. Permit that. Zoning this. Zoning that.

I hope they get their permit. I hope they start their business. And I hope it angers a lot of town folk. Especially those folks who didn't take the risk to start their own businesses.

Absolutely spot on! :thumbsup:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If he started doing transfers, I'm sure he'd get a lot of business too. I don't think gun shack does them for anything they can get.

Gun Shack doesn't. Can't really blame a shop for not doing a transfer for a current production product they can stock and sell though. They do have to make a profit to keep the doors open. I have transferred a few older guns that are no longer in production and some custom guns there so, I know they will do transfers on those. I did a lot of business with them back when Steve ( the original owner ) was there. He would even hold something for me just on my saying I wanted it. He was really good to do business with.
    Things always seem to change when the kids take over a business.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    NIMBY'S. Not in my backyard.

People act like he's opening up an adult book store. Could very well be low key, by appointment only. I can think of 2 "home" based FFLs located in unincorporated Harford County, been around for years and everything is just fine.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    NIMBY'S. Not in my backyard.

People act like he's opening up an adult book store. Could very well be low key, by appointment only. I can think of 2 "home" based FFLs located in unincorporated Harford County, been around for years and everything is just fine.

They would probably be OK with an "adult book store".:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom