New NRA sponsored shooting sport for ARs and other military type semi-autos.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Are there any fees for these shoots? I didn't see them on the registration screen. I've been tossing around the idea of getting into competitions and this seems a perfect place to start.

Scroll all the way to the bottom, its there

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I saw this , and tapped into Google Fu.

The NRA is a good , miltifaceted organization , and anything that brings it revenue and exposure is a Good Thing.

Politically this is brillient ! Now in states everywhere , and US Congress NRA Reps and 2A supporters in general can now have overwhelming grounds to proclaim to the effect : " See , See , those tricked out AR-15's are too Sporting Competion Rifles ! And all those people with no marksmanship skills are too viable Competetors ! " . Which is a good thing. [ Note that this discipline is being rolled out by General Operations , not Competion , or even Training Divisions ]

But this isn't "new" , and the Match to be held at Peacemaker is anything but "Inagural" in any literal sense of the word. The "Inagural" iteration meaning actual first , and introductory , was in August 2011 , and matches have been held in various clubs around the country.

Reading about the actual format, I'm scratching my head. I get it about market research , focous groups , target audiences , etc . I get it that NRA is targeting the video game generation. But the match BEing an actual computer game ?

And in the promotions NDM is refered to as a single course of fire. And in the smaller print it comes out that it is considered to be "adaptable" to various venues by leaving off portions. And that it is expected to primarily run on 100yd or shorter facilities.

It strikes *me* as actually being two entirely different matches , and should be split , and seperatly named as such.

Unless the pace is stepped up to Steel Challenge speeds , the 7-100yd stages are kind of Simon says backyard plinking. The 7-50yd version does sound like an interesting Pistol course.

The 200-500yd stages done as a seperate match do involve marksmanship , and seem like a good gateway to get new shooters into precision shooting.

And the actual name and promotional material are a direct attempt to undercut Appleseed , which teaches actual marksmanship and preparedness.
    In 2011 and since the NRA was toying with the concept of the NDM match. That includes the NDM match at Camp Perry in 2011. All of these up till now were "proof of concept" type events. However at Peacemaker earlier this year, with the NRA bigwigs in attendence, they rolled out a final version as a private test event. I missed the limited sign up for it myself. They limited the shooters to a small number of active 3-gun competitors. That is where the new NRA video was shot. Some events have occurred in other places since but this one is the first full event with all three levels of competition running during the weekend as far as I know. The video shows the Basic level event. the one they want new shooters to get interested in. And by new I mean non-shooters that now find themselves owners of new ARs and similar rifles. Those are the kind of people that get intimidated watching something on 3Gun Nation.
    Appleseed is a great program. It gets the younger generation out to learn shooting skills. But it does little to teach real defensive or combat skills. Not much different than the existing NRA Winchester Marksmanship program. Just another type of bullseye shooting. Something NRA would like to move away from it seems (from what I have been hearing anyway).
    As for preparedness it depends on what you mean by it. To me it is the defensive or combat equivalent of the home fire drill. How many have actually analyzed their dwelling to find out where to be under certain conditions. How to get from wherever you might be to where you need to be in an emergency. What are your home's best choke points, defensive points, etc., most don't have any sort of panic room. Anyway anything that improves my defensive skills is a bonus whether I consider it a competition or a training session.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I'm curious, are there any rifles allowed in this new competition that aren't banned come Oct 1 ?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'm curious, are there any rifles allowed in this new competition that aren't banned come Oct 1 ?
    Yes, .308 ARs, Mini-14s, HBARs, Mini-30s, M1 carbines.
    The only requirment is a magazine fed semi-auto rifle shooting a centerfire rifle cartridge between .223 and .308. I would suggest a minimum of 4-6 20-30 rd mags.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Wow I would love to try something like this. Not sure I can do it this year as all free weekends are spoken for. I don't have a suppressor though.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    I signed up for Advanced also in the AM. I doubt that even Advanced will offer shots past 100-200y max. They want you to crawl before you can walk so I am betting that only Championship will offer shots out to 600y. As for optics that depends. I was looking thru the latest SG catalog and they have a Sig tactical red dot that has a BDC ladder that goes out to 600y. I know with an Eotech if you hold the dot at the 2nd dot width above the target you can usually hit 300y steel. My Burris MTAC 1-4x24 scope has BDC dots out to 600y although I have never shot past 300. But I can usually hit targets at 300y one after the other once I figure any windage.
    That is the only thing holding me back from entering the Championship match on Sunday also is the 600y possibility.
    And just remember no 5.56mm XM855 62g steel penetrator or 7.62x39mm bi-metal jacket ammo. Might require US made 7.62x39mm, I just don't know.

This is the link to the PNTC Event page. Click any match under the NDM heading for info and registration:

http://peacemakernational.com/events?l=viewEvent&eventID=144

Yugo M67 surplus is brass cased and does not have a steel core bullet, regular ol' FMJ.
    In addition, it's good, hot, accurate ammo designed specifically for the AK and SKS.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I may have to sign up for this one. Never shot in a rifle competition before. Looks interesting.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have 500 rounds of IMI NATO 55g XM855 I want to unload. Paid $230 from MidwayUSA for it and looking just to break even. Got it as a backup to the the Fed .223 I use in 3-gun but now I am not having any trouble getting the Fed ammo. This is the same price I pay from WM for the Fed .223 so it is a wash for me. Need more shelf space for the 6.8mm ammo from my last build.
    I will put an ad in the for sale section soon if I don't get a response.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I have 500 rounds of IMI NATO 55g XM855 I want to unload. Paid $230 from MidwayUSA for it and looking just to break even. Got it as a backup to the the Fed .223 I use in 3-gun but now I am not having any trouble getting the Fed ammo. This is the same price I pay from WM for the Fed .223 so it is a wash for me. Need more shelf space for the 6.8mm ammo from my last build.
    I will put an ad in the for sale section soon if I don't get a response.

Pm sent.

mtnwisdom

Sep 9, 2012
    Sparrows Point
    You're gonna like this CoF. I was at PNTC this past weekend and had the opportunity to talk and walk with the folks that are running the shoot. Also shot with one of the guys that test drove the CoF.

Wish I had the weekend off to be there!

If you go, have a great time! Good people down there at PNTC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom