• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    I really favor the MFT Minimalist stock for action shooting applications: https://missionfirsttactical.com/BMSMIL
    My buddy just told me tonight the company he works for molds all their stuff...
    I use a little bit of

mobil 1 synthetic pink grease and oil.

Second half of the video

I use dabs of grease using a q-tip in the trigger assembly and along the rails of the bolt. Then dip said bolt into a jar of full synth mobil 1 oil. Take out and let it drip until it stops. Then put it back together. The dust cover will show some grease in it like the old putting grease in ball joint nipples. Yes I said it. Lol. Not much. It is called running it wet.

This is what I do. I also do not clean every time I shoot. To me like changing oil after driving to the store. Again, that is me. .22s you do need to clean more than regular ARs

That is a LOT of grease, lol.

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    Lol. Not too much. Lol.
    I thought about this, watched some videos. Thought about it some more. How do you keep dirt from accumulating on the carrier (or inside the unit for that matter?)

I am super green, but plenty of experience with wheel bearings, mechanics, grease, etc. That just seems like a problem down the road? Teach me something... happy to learn!

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I thought about this, watched some videos. Thought about it some more. How do you keep dirt from accumulating on the carrier (or inside the unit for that matter?)

I am super green, but plenty of experience with wheel bearings, mechanics, grease, etc. That just seems like a problem down the road? Teach me something... happy to learn!
    it is going to happen. I have not had any failures. The guy in the vids Chad knows his stuff. I do not run it dry. plus every once in a while you can field strip clean. like changing your oil.

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    it is going to happen. I have not had any failures. The guy in the vids Chad knows his stuff. I do not run it dry. plus every once in a while you can field strip clean. like changing your oil.
    I am not saying that he doesn't know his stuff, I'm saying I can't think of any environment where a firearm would be better in that condition. Say... in the desert? Sand blowing everywhere... at least a lightly oiled unit could repel some of the grit, that the way it is looks like a sand trap.

Do / does the military do that with their firearms?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I am not saying that he doesn't know his stuff, I'm saying I can't think of any environment where a firearm would be better in that condition. Say... in the desert? Sand blowing everywhere... at least a lightly oiled unit could repel some of the grit, that the way it is looks like a sand trap.

well, ask him. Military people take classes from him all the time. How often do you shoot in Assateague? You do you, though. Military does not do anything because they can just go to the armorer to get barrels replaced, bolts, lowers, etc. Ping Clandestine.

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    well, ask him. Military people take classes from him all the time. How often do you shoot in Assateague? You do you, though. Military does not do anything because they can just go to the armorer to get barrels replaced, bolts, lowers, etc. Ping Clandestine.
    No Sir, I didn't mean any offense by it. Clearly there's something to it, I just don't understand it (not surprising).

The only place I've shot is on the farm (a good bit) and once at a range (didn't really care for the indoor range).

I can't stress enough how new I am, so take it all with a grain of salt. Just trying to learn and think things through.

Thanks!

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    No Sir, I didn't mean any offense by it. Clearly there's something to it, I just don't understand it (not surprising).

The only place I've shot is on the farm (a good bit) and once at a range (didn't really care for the indoor range).

I can't stress enough how new I am, so take it all with a grain of salt. Just trying to learn and think things through.

Thanks!
    no offense taken. I was just pointing you to da'man. He can explain better than I. Also, he is a wealth of knowledge.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Appreciate it, I'll check him out.
    Cool. and welcome aboard. to me, think of the thick stuff as suspending the contaminates, like clay bars, too. I have always looked at the Tippmann. a lot of people like it better than what I have- the M&P 15-22. Congrats

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I have a lot of experience with Tippmanns with Appleseed (have 2 I use as loaners). I love the rifles and they can be extremely accurate, reliable, and durable.

I immediately replaced the stocks on both - I like the Magpul MOE SL best (solid lock-up, no rattle, light, and has a QD sling mount included, unlike many other Magpul sticks where you have to buy it separately). One is wearing a B-Systems stock right now and it wobbles.

One rifle had significant light strike issues (would fire one round, but never a second) that were caused by the buffer tube - apparently it required an additional rotation into the receiver.

They are picky on aftermarket triggers as well. I tried the Larue MBT, for instance, and it did not work with the safety. Both of mine have NP coated milspec triggers that are a significant improvement over the OEM model, but cheap.

I do not overlube semi-auto rimfires like I would with a centerfire AR. I clean them and then spray the bolt and receiver with Hornady One Shot dry lube.

Mag-wise, I always load vertically with AR-style 22s to prevent rimlock and other feed issues. The loading button is super helpful.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland

You are exactly right. The military (or those in the military who actually use their firearms) do not run them sopping wet for the exact reasons you described. In blowing sand environments we clean it, CLP it, wipe it dry, MAYBE add one or two drops of CLP to the BCG.

While his method is all fine and dandy for 99% of the users here who's pretty AR never goes anywhere but from the safe to the bench and back, it's not a end-all/be-all method for everyone.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    You can't get a barrel replaced while in the middle of an operation. The military does care for their shit. Likely more then most, because most people don't literally have their life depending on the operation of their AR.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    You can't get a barrel replaced while in the middle of an operation. The military does care for their shit. Likely more then most, because most people don't literally have their life depending on the operation of their AR.
    I get it. However, one of my younger brothers was a marine and when I tried to show him stuff, he always told me that is not the way we did it in the military. I am going by what works for me. Plus, I trust Clandestine. Hope your weekend is great. Hot already here. ugh.

Sirex