• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arloe

Dec 30, 2023
    Oberlin, KS
    I've been reading bits on this forum for quite some time, and decided to join. I will be posting some new information to an 8-year-old thread on early UMC primers. Better late to the party than never.

My collecting parameter is pre-war American upland shotshells. This allows me to include many essential things related to shotgunning--cleaning gadgets, shell boxes, advertisements (upland related only), vintage shotshell reloading implements and components, and so forth. Limitations for shotshells themselves are twofold--no size larger than #4 and no gauge larger than 12. The parameter also forces me to pass on most things, which immeasurably enhances marital bliss.

The only singles on which I concentrate are those with self-expanding shot columns--known as "Scatter Loads" (the genericized trademark, from Remington-UMC self-expanders). They go by many other names, depending on the company that made them--Brush, Close Range, Thicket, Bush, and Open, to name a few.

I don't hunt upland birds any more, but do shoot clay targets. I shoot in a summer trap league and I suck at it. I also shoot .410 in the Kansas prairie winds (Winchester M37 single shot 28", full choke, of course) from a blind wobble trap (yes, I suck at those, too, but they are so much fun). I'm a retired college teacher and have lived in NW Kansas for the past decade.

Last edited:

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Welcome aboard!
    We also hope you'll join some of our advocacy associations, and annoy the Government by getting your Handgun Permit soon.

Why should I join the State Association?

The NATIONAL Rifle Association sponsors and sanctions National Competitions, and defends your rights in Washington, DC.

The STATE Association sponsors and sanctions local competitions in Maryland, and defends your rights in Maryland

By joining the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association, you are eligible for membership at the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Greetings.

Joeboboutfitters delivers to MD faster than Jimmy Johns makes sandwiches. I'd imagine you get stuff showing up before you even order it...

Arloe

Dec 30, 2023
    Oberlin, KS
    Thanks to all of those on my ad hoc welcoming committee. As a Life Endowment Member of the National Rifle Association and a retired criminologist (theoretical criminology and justice policy), I have published articles and op-eds about our 2nd Amendment liberties. Thankfully, after Justice Thomas's absolutely brilliant writing for the majority in Bruen, I no longer have to slog through others' works for and against various gun policies because their uses of science as a political tool are now completely irrelevant after Bruen. And, to be frank, that goes for both sides, including the NRA. I suspect I will make some postings in the 2A section if I convince myself I have to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom