New Rehoboth manager takes city to the cleaners!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    I don't see why every little seaside ******** needs to be run by an engineer. Don't they already have access to engineering firms? Does it make sense for every 20 mile stretch of shoreline to managed independently?
    I would expect they have regular need for engineering consultation services to think this particular expertise would be necessary (as opposed to someone with a law degree, or a business degree, for example). Maybe there are enough issues with permitting or safety inspections or water/sewer/road/ power matters between competing interests that an official with say, a civil engineering background might have an advantage. I have to believe that after the Champlain Towers South collapse, insurers and banks are taking a much closer look at the conditions and maintenance standards of structures in coastal communities, that and general rising apprehension over coastal inundation from expected rise in sea levels just add to those concerns. Officials that are trained in the engineering fields may be what the city feels it needs. Rehoboth Beach is wealthy and they might see this as a necessary precaution.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I would expect they have regular need for engineering consultation services to think this particular expertise would be necessary (as opposed to someone with a law degree, or a business degree, for example). Maybe there are enough issues with permitting or safety inspections or water/sewer/road/ power matters between competing interests that an official with say, a civil engineering background might have an advantage. I have to believe that after the Champlain Towers South collapse, insurers and banks are taking a much closer look at the conditions and maintenance standards of structures in coastal communities, that and general rising apprehension over coastal inundation from expected rise in sea levels just add to those concerns. Officials that are trained in the engineering fields may be what the city feels it needs. Rehoboth Beach is wealthy and they might see this as a necessary precaution.
    Wealthy?

They were $4.4 million in the hole before the deal.

There are 5 structures taller than 42 feet, a water tower and 4 hotels. Not a lot to inspect.

Everything you said sounds like you got the job.....

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    Wealthy?

They were $4.4 million in the hole before the deal.

There are 5 structures taller than 42 feet, a water tower and 4 hotels. Not a lot to inspect.

Everything you said sounds like you got the job.....
    Oh I wish. The deal looks pretty sweet, especially that "loan."

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I don't see why every little seaside ******** needs to be run by an engineer. Don't they already have access to engineering firms? Does it make sense for every 20 mile stretch of shoreline to managed independently?
    The shoreline appears to be run by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Every municipality has sewer, water and roads to maintain, build or expand.

The more practical experience in these fields (civil engineering) the more sound their decisions should be.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Delaware is a funny state. Its economy created very little jobs for residents. I am not even sure how most people in Delaware earn a living. Do we have a Delaware historian?

And I don't mean Obama Joe.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Delaware is a funny state. Its economy created very little jobs for residents. I am not even sure how most people in Delaware earn a living. Do we have a Delaware historian?

A lot of Businesses incorporate in the state because of pro-biz laws, this boosts the legal, financial, government coffers and then everything trickles down.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021

It appears to have a diverse economy. There is heavy industry in the north--petrochemicals, shipping, white-collar business, there is a large agricultural sector in farming and poultry production and then there is the tourism sector which has expanded to a diverse services sector and construction. I would think it would look similar to Maryland with the exception of the federal government and related government business activities in the counties surrounding Washington.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    It appears to have a diverse economy. There is heavy industry in the north--petrochemicals, shipping, white-collar business, there is a large agricultural sector in farming and poultry production and then there is the tourism sector which has expanded to a diverse services sector and construction. I would think it would look similar to Maryland with the exception of the federal government and related government business activities in the counties surrounding Washington.
    I divide Delaware into 4 economic regions.

1. North - many bank offices and petrochemicals (Dupont and its contractors)
    2. Dover - gov and Air Force base (small but there are many retirees staying in the area)
    3. Coast - tourism and hospitalities (along the coast to MD's border)
    4. The rest of the chicken farmers and various farmers sprinkling from Kent County down.

But it still does not rank high in jobs comparing to other states. I discount healthcare industry because which state does not have it?

----------------------------

Delaware ranks 43rd in economy size among states and Washington, DC. In the 3rd quarter of 2023, Delaware accounted for 0.3% of the US economy. Source: Bureau of Ecomonic Analysis.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    I divide Delaware into 4 economic regions.

1. North - many bank offices and petrochemicals (Dupont and its contractors)
    2. Dover - gov and Air Force base (small but there are many retirees staying in the area)
    3. Coast - tourism and hospitalities (along the coast to MD's border)
    4. The rest of the chicken farmers and various farmers sprinkling from Kent County down.

But it still does not rank high in jobs comparing to other states. I discount healthcare industry because which state does not have it?

----------------------------

Delaware ranks 43rd in economy size among states and Washington, DC. In the 3rd quarter of 2023, Delaware accounted for 0.3% of the US economy. Source: Bureau of Ecomonic Analysis.
    Delaware has a relatively small population but it is growing steadily and in recent years, at an annually increasing rate (~1.6% per year.) The north part of the state is part of the northeast megalopolis, linked physically by highways and railroads and by a shared economy in the greater Philadelphia region. It is where the heavy industries--refineries, chemicals, ports--are concentrated. The .gov sector in Dover AFB probably contributes something in revenues. The coastal areas, from the lower Delaware Bay to the Maryland line to the south has become a diversified economy, tourism being part of it, but also construction, retail, and services. It is transitioning from a summer resort economy to a year-round community requiring year-round services for permanent residents. The ag sector appears to represent most of the land area of the state, which is similar to the Maryland Eastern Shore, aside from Ocean City and its environs. As far as ag produce goes, large-scale poultry is significant, but there appears to be the the usual crop mix, corn, soybeans, hay, alfalfa, wheat and some truck farm goods.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    GM and Chrysler used to make cars (and tanks) there.

DuPont is still big but not like it was.

The Allied Chemical plant ny grandfather worked in closed some time ago, little sign of it or the steel mill are present.

ICI, Big Pharma and Amazon have moved in.

Agribusiness (chickens) still huge.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    Another happy citizen;

I have owned a house in the City of Rehoboth for more than 21 years and have lived here full time for more than three years. I have a mechanical engineering degree from Cornell, five years’ experience as an engineer, an MBA from Georgetown and 15 years of management experience with a billion-dollar investment firm as an executive vice president. It is appalling that the city would hire someone completely unqualified when for $800,000 less, they could hire someone like me.

Derek Thomas
    Rehoboth Beach

:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom