• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I've been wanting a rifle length AR for a while now, debating between just another upper, but 20", or a whole new rifle. While browsing GB I stumbled upon this local gem. A 20" Colt, Match Target Competition Hbar. Doesn't have a carry handle, (may source one later) but it has an ARMS rear flip up sight. No threaded muzzle, or bayonet lug, so I guess a ban era gun. Has a 20", 1:9 twist C MP 5.56 NATO barrel. Even has the cleaning kit in the buttstock.

Attachments

• 20221028_232934.jpg
      20221028_232934.jpg
      248.4 KB · Views: 149
    • 20221028_233240.jpg
      20221028_233240.jpg
      116.3 KB · Views: 147
    • 20221028_232901.jpg
      20221028_232901.jpg
      125.2 KB · Views: 154

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    There was a member here (forget his screen name), an IP who has since passed away that used to sell used LE turn-in Colt 20" HBARs years ago. Really, really wish I had bought one.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Took it to the range today. Nice rifle, accurate, but my eyes, I am struggling with iron sights, so I'm not going to look for a carry handle and look for a small scope for it.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Nice!! An unmolested Colt is a wonderful thing. Yes, it's a ban era rifle but it's just as well built as a pre-ban.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Nice!! An unmolested Colt is a wonderful thing. Yes, it's a ban era rifle but it's just as well built as a pre-ban.
    I like it, it has a certain charm to it. I am debating getting a carry handle, and scope that mounts atop it, or just putting a scope on the flat top. My eyes suck I realized. I knew this, but hadn't realized they'd gotten this bad.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I like it, it has a certain charm to it. I am debating getting a carry handle, and scope that mounts atop it, or just putting a scope on the flat top. My eyes suck I realized. I knew this, but hadn't realized they'd gotten this bad.

I'm in my 50's so I hear you. I can hit a man at 100 with iron sights but shooting for accuracy is out of the question. For all intents and purposes, I have to use an optic now. Of course, you have far fewer options with a handle mounted optic. I have a police trade in ban era A2 so it still has all the evil bits. I found a period Chinese knock off scope (a 4x Eurolux....oooooohhhhh) that looks a lot like the old Colt jobbers. I paid something like $20 for it at a gun show and you know, that is my favorite Colt at the range. You don't really have a cheek weld using a handle mount but recoil is so light, it's not needed. Besides, you can always but one of those cheek risers. So, to me for plinking, you don't need to spend stupid money on something that you're never taking to war.

I don't have a picture with the scope mounted but here's the rifle:

To my knowledge, this model is the only ban era full size made with a flash hider and bayonet mount. Very few were made because PD's wanted the carbines. They were marked differently too:

Last edited:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm in my 50's so I hear you. I can hit a man at 100 with iron sights but shooting for accuracy is out of the question. For all intents and purposes, I have to use an optic now. Of course, you have far fewer options with a handle mounted optic. I have a police trade in ban era A2 so it still has all the evil bits. I found a period Chinese knock off scope (a 4x Eurolux....oooooohhhhh) that looks a lot like the old Colt jobbers. I paid something like $20 for it at a gun show and you know, that is my favorite Colt at the range. You don't really have a cheek weld using a handle mount but recoil is so light, it's not needed. Besides, you can always but one of those cheek risers. So, to me for plinking, you don't need to spend stupid money on something that you're never taking to war.

I don't have a picture with the scope mounted but here's the rifle:

To my knowledge, this model is the only ban era full size made with a flash hider and bayonet mount. Very few were made because PD's wanted the carbines. They were marked differently too:
    That's really nice! I don't plan on taking this Hbar to war, but I wanted the M16 look with carry handle, but can't see well thru the sights. Ebay used to have tons of those carry handle scope mounts and wish I would have picked one up years ago when Ebay sold the cool stuff. I'm going to try to find out when mine was built, other than between 94-04 that is.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    If you take the handguards off, you might find a two digit year stamp on the barrel. Beyond that, you have to pay Colt to tell you. They have a serial number look up on their site and they used to tell you what year your AR was built for free but they've stopped. You can still look up lots of other stuff they made though.

Sirex