• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am replacing the 6x42 in my .308 with a 3-9x40 tomorrow. A thought occurred to me. Could I lock my rifle in a bench vise (with padding and gently) place a target under the crosshairs and then with the new scope, adjust POI to that target? Shouldn't that in theory be on target or extremely close?

I wouldn't run out hunting with it, but hoping to get within just a few MOA of dead on

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Lazarus, really don't see how that would work. I just zeroed my new smokeless build over weekend with 2 shots. Bore sighted first. Fired 1 round and chased the crosshairs to that shot. You could do what your saying by pulling bolt out and zero by looking down bore. It get ya close. Just have big target

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Okay, I'll save the hassle and use my bore as a giant ass ghost ring. At least I can do that with my .308 bolt action. Just makes me feel not right to have a rifle I know probably isn't dead on and it'll be a few weeks till I can hit the range, but I want to get the old scope off and on the classifieds to fund other projects now (Nikon Monarch 6x42)

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Okay, I'll save the hassle and use my bore as a giant ass ghost ring. At least I can do that with my .308 bolt action. Just makes me feel not right to have a rifle I know probably isn't dead on and it'll be a few weeks till I can hit the range, but I want to get the old scope off and on the classifieds to fund other projects now (Nikon Monarch 6x42)

I have successfully boresighted on paper pulling a bolt. These days I get close using a laser boresighter. They can be had for a relatively cheap price these days

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Bore sighted and snugged down. Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40. Seems decent. It ain't as clear as the Nikon Monarch 6x42 it replaced and the Nikon's cross hairs have better visibility without being thicker, but it is pretty close to the same clarity and has the advantage that for the woods around here, 3 power capable. I also like the matte finish body coating on the Busnell over the parkarized coating on the Nikon. Of course the Parkarized coating exactly matched the parkarizing of the Sako it came off of...

Biggest excitement, the screws on the rings have a couple that are pretty buggered which made me worried they were wrenched down tight. Nope. Easy to back out and easy to out back in and they are proprietary screws that are either $30 for 8 from the one guy on the internet who sells them (I looked, no one makes them because they are an odd metric size), or buy new rings for $50+ (Sako rings).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom