• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Necrolith

Jan 20, 2012
    Hello all!

Purchased my first handgun last week (Gen2 Glock 22) and during the waiting period I've been burning up Glock and competitive shooting videos online. :D

I live in Laurel and was hoping for some tips on any good gun clubs/ranges near me. I'd like to find a spot to do some competitive shooting with a group, formal or informal, and eventually look into IDPA or USPSA.

Any info or tips would be great. Thanks guys!

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    The AGC in marriotsville is a great place. there are handgun, rifle, trap, air rifle ranges, there are like 14 different clubs to choose from and it's only 150 a year. Ive been very happy there.

Necrolith

Jan 20, 2012
    blksniper2000:
    Thanks for the input.

Dave MP:
    I checked out the spreadsheet prior to posting, but it's a bit intimidating. Was hoping to get some personal recommendations/experiences from MDS to help figure out which ranges had active groups that would welcome a newbie like myself.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Actually the price for belonging to an AGC affiliated club is a little more than $150. The range badge that you buy for range use is $150. Each club also has their own annual membership fee as well and some clubs require NRA membership. If you aren't a NRA member, add that into the mix.

For example, Garrison Rifle and revolver Club has a $20/yr fee and the $150 range badge.

Necrolith, check the "Competitive Shooting" section of this forum for that angle. Also, if you hang around you will find people who will post threads saying "Hey I am going to range X or Y, anyone want to go".

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    The AGC has about 29 different clubs to look at for membership. Start at the club level and then once you join a club they will direct you on what you need to be able to shoot at the AGC.

In the 13 years I've been shooting at the AGC I have NEVER had to wait for a lane to open up.

The AGC is open every day of the year but New Years Day, & Xmas Day. They do close 1/2 a day on Thanksgiving, weather related closings, and if or when any maintenance needs to be done on any given area of the range.

Mount Washington, Baltimore Rifle, and a few other clubs have very easy membership requirements.

I think BRC has a Range Orientation Day in the next few weeks were you can join their club and buy a range badge all at the same time .

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    In the 13 years I've been shooting at the AGC I have NEVER had to wait for a lane to open up.

In all the 10+ years I've been using the Marriottsville range, only once have I been unable to find an open lane on the 100 yard line. On that day all the lanes were tied up with hunter sight-in. That's a pretty good record, IMHO.

Bryan

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The AGC has about 29 different clubs to look at for membership. Start at the club level and then once you join a club they will direct you on what you need to be able to shoot at the AGC.

The AGC is open every day of the year but New Years Day, & Xmas Day. They do close 1/2 a day on Thanksgiving, weather related closings, and if or when any maintenance needs to be done on any given area of the range.

Mount Washington, Baltimore Rifle, and a few other clubs have very easy membership requirements.

I think BRC has a Range Orientation Day in the next few weeks were you can join their club and buy a range badge all at the same time .

Or you can wait until Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club has their monthky meeting on Saturday May 19, 2012 at 2:00PM. We are having our Spring Fling (hot dogs, hamburgers, chips. soda, beer). A good time to 'meet and greet'!

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    I, too, live in Laurel.

I am a member at OnTarget which is the closest commercial, public range.

I am also a member at Stoney Creek, which is an AGC affiliate.

If you're going to get into IDPA the only club close is the Annapolis club (Anne Arundel Fish & Game), which is also AGC affiliated.

Just from what you posted, I would look at the Annapolis club. OnTarget is a good indoor range, but not much else you can do there but shoot stationary out to 25 yds. Stoney Creek has no IDPA capability.

Send me a PM if you would like to talk FTF.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Look through the links for associated clubs on the AGC website and find those that cater to your needs (IDPA, etc.) then after you join the club get your AGC range badge. You'll need to whip up your own target frame out of 1x2's but that's easy.

John64

Apr 7, 2012
    If you are looking for a very simple no frilles place to start burning up ammo drive down to the shore and go to Delmarva Sporting Clays...nice easy drive and they have a very simple set up there. Just walk in, pay, and shoot. I go there all of the time.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    Berwyn Rod and Gun in Bowie is quite nice.

Agree. I joined last fall, after getting acquainted with some of the folks via their hunter safety course. Nice ranges, nice people. Expensive, but, IMHO, worth it. It's also just a short drive down 197 from Laurel; you won't find any place more convenient.

Go to their web site (http://www.berwyn.org), look at the calendar, and go to the next range check class. That is the first step in joining the club. They are still accepting new members for this year, according to a statement at last Wednesday's meeting.

They do have various competitions throughout the year (that I haven't participated in yet). These will be listed on the calendar on the web site.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Another fine private club is 12th Precinct Pistol and Archery, in Harwood MD. $135/yr for family membership + $50 first-time registration fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom