• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    falling steel matches were an absolute blast. a TON Of steel! two polish plate racks and a sea of plate racks, poppers, texas stars, dueling trees, knock off steel etc. some all shot from one place, some from several places. they have morning and afternoon matches tomorrow (sunday) if you wanna have some good fun. basically they have all the uspsa pistol divisions and also two shotgun divisions.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    falling steel matches were an absolute blast. a TON Of steel! two polish plate racks and a sea of plate racks, poppers, texas stars, dueling trees, knock off steel etc. some all shot from one place, some from several places. they have morning and afternoon matches tomorrow (sunday) if you wanna have some good fun. basically they have all the uspsa pistol divisions and also two shotgun divisions.

Agreed, it was good stuff. I will be going again.
    Next time, pistol and shotgun on same day :).

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I shot the AM squad and had fun. All except the spinner stage. You need a minimum of .40 or an open racegun to even get one of them to do a complete rotation. And your .40 and up better be a double stack as people shooting .45 1911 had problems also as they could get the plate moving well just about the time to reload. A Para 16-40 running extended basepads would be my guess.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yes the spinners SUCKED. guy in my morning squad got (only) two turned using 40 major. at least one guy in pm squad turned 2 with 40 minor. i was super close but only got one with 40 minor and one with 9 minor. shotgun was a lot more compelling (and fair) story.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Hate those spinners! I did not get any to spin fully. However, Cole (owner of PNTC) shot in my squad and managed to spin three of them with a 9mm shooting factory 124 grain loads. Cole said this was the first time he shot a spinner, but had watched a video and that is where he got his technique - he also double-tapped a lot. Below is a video on spinner shooting technique. I don't know if it's the one Cole referenced. The spinner in the video looks easier to spin than those we were confronted with over the weekend, but maybe that's my perception because I suck at shooting spinners.

Skip to 3 min in on the video for the short version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_cx2tNBLAk

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    So what was the penalty for not spinning the spinner?

Match was conducted with a par time and hit count.

Each stage had a par time, if I remember the longest was 55 seconds. Hit was drop steel.

If you could get spinner to rotate one full revolution, shooter got three hits.
    Otherwise, you get nothing.

Still waiting on scores to confirm.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You know this would be a good match to get your Load2 or Quadload shotgun reloading skills up to par. Even with a Saiga or MKA1919 your going to be hard pressed just by the number of magazines you have to carry.
    Even with a 13 rd tube in my shotgun open division configuration I would need a chest rig with at least 32 rounds not counting how many I can double with a single shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom