• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 00Vette

Aug 22, 2015
    Calvert County
    Hello fellow gun enthusiasts! I'm excited about finding this site, but not very excited about the strict laws we have to deal with here in Maryland.

I'm Jon, and my family and I just got stationed here at Andrews AFB. I've been in the service for almost 17 years and am very excited to be here with you all. I love the area, all the wonderful people we have met, the great schools, but just frustrated with the tough gun laws. :tdown:

I have a S&W 9mm, a Remmington 30-06, and an AR15. I wanted to try and get a 1911, but man.. what a PITA that is going to be. May put if off a while just out of principle!

Anyway, I have a new 30-06 that I need to sight in the scope for. I went to MSAR and they only have a 25 meter range and a 50 meter range. Both are indoors, but besides it clearly not being enough range for the 30-06.. that place is super busy!! WOW!!

Anyway, I look forward to talking with some of you and hopefully I can get this thing sighted in.

v/r,
    Jon

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Not sure where you live, but the associates gun clubs has both a 100 and 200 yard range. The AGC is located west of baltimore (take 70w to marriottsville rd north for roughly 8 miles)

Join a club, get your badge and you'll be all set

Welcome and thank you for your service

---
    Shamr0ck

00Vette

Aug 22, 2015
    Calvert County
    Not sure where you live, but the associates gun clubs has both a 100 and 200 yard range. The AGC is located west of baltimore (take 70w to marriottsville rd north for roughly 8 miles)

Join a club, get your badge and you'll be all set

Welcome and thank you for your service

---
    Shamr0ck

My apologies.. I'm in Calvert County. Thanks for the kind words!!:thumbsup:

Where is ACG located? I'm about to google them now and see how far they are. Thanks again.

v/r,
    Jon

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If you are active military and have orders and your ID from the Armed Forces you do not need an HQL. Take the documents to a gun store, pay money, fill out 77R and wait 7 days.

00Vette

Aug 22, 2015
    Calvert County
    If you are active military and have orders and your ID from the Armed Forces you do not need an HQL. Take the documents to a gun store, pay money, fill out 77R and wait 7 days.

I went online and tried three times before I gave up. The first purchase was a gun that wasn't on the "approved" list.. which I couldn't get a copy of (I even checked this forum to only find old links). The second company refused to do business with anyone in Maryland (not even joking, can you believe that?), and the last attempt that handgun had too large of a magazine and they didn't offer the 10 round magazine. If I purchased that handgun, I would have had to leave both mags with the FFL and purchase at least one 10 rounder at $35 a piece.

Just too frustrating!!! I was just down in Georgia visiting a buddy and he walked into a Gander Mountain, bought a brand new 1911 and walked out 30 mins later. I get back, go to MSAR to pick up a 30-06 I purchased online (also from Gander Mountain) and they tell me I have to wait until the FBI gets back with them and I can't pick up my rifle until then. They also don't know how long that will be. So far its been two days that I have been waiting for my 30-06!

I'm active duty, have a security clearance, never had any criminal issues, and I have to wait for a long rifle? No sir!! This is my constitutional right to purchase and bear arms. I grew up in a Alaska, and as a young boy I would shoot my .22 rifle in my front yard. Never had any issues purchasing or handling firearms until I arrived to this state. I apologize if I offended anyone.. end of rant!

Is AGC really worth the $150 annual fee? I'm used to popping into a secluded wooded area and firing my guns.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Your security clearance is why you have to wait. They have to get someone high enough to be able to legally view your clearance and then approve it.
    If I where you I would wait until after October to buy your handgun and save money on the fired shell casing.

Also buying online is really a wash unless buying used as the shipping and transfer fee, plus MSP paperwork, and other stuff adds up. Unless you're saving $100 its not worth it for the hassle.

Of course buying used 1911's presents two issues. One is that every 1911 is the one Sergeant York used when he earned his MoH or Bubba the backwoods gunsmith decided to dremel the feedramps drunk to make it right and all nice and purdy like.

Go to a local gun shop and look at the selection and decide what do you want a 1911 for?

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Welcome to maryland. Not to get off the buying topic but you can go to myrtle grove down in laplata. Its outdoors and 100 yards. Cost ya 5 bucks there or you can buy a year pass at walmart for 20 bucks I think. DONT GO ON THE WEEKENDS!!!!!! It gets way too crowded. Go during the week if you can. Not to be mean but you get a better class of people during the week. The weekends are when the idiots come out.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 300

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    Your security clearance is why you have to wait. They have to get someone high enough to be able to legally view your clearance and then approve it.
    If I where you I would wait until after October to buy your handgun and save money on the fired shell casing.

Also buying online is really a wash unless buying used as the shipping and transfer fee, plus MSP paperwork, and other stuff adds up. Unless you're saving $100 its not worth it for the hassle.

Of course buying used 1911's presents two issues. One is that every 1911 is the one Sergeant York used when he earned his MoH or Bubba the backwoods gunsmith decided to dremel the feedramps drunk to make it right and all nice and purdy like.

Go to a local gun shop and look at the selection and decide what do you want a 1911 for?

I definitely agree with you when it comes to buying online. If I were to buy a firearm online the price for (for me) would have to be $125 cheaper than what it's being sold for in my lgs and that's with free shipping. That price includes the cost of transfer, background check, and $50 savings to make it worth buying. If I could find a FFL close if not in Baltimore, that did both the background check and transfer for under $50 that would be awesome!

In regards to the original poster, I too have the same problem with finding a cheaper out door range. I'm close to the Baltimore area and that yearly membership fee at AGC doesn't look appealing to me at all. I did come across some info on Hap Baker which is a outdoor range. I believe it's a little farther west like in the Westminster area (I'm not exactly sure). From what I read on their site the prices are a lot better, but I don't know how the range actually is/looks.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I definitely agree with you when it comes to buying online. If I were to buy a firearm online the price for (for me) would have to be $125 cheaper than what it's being sold for in my lgs and that's with free shipping. That price includes the cost of transfer, background check, and $50 savings to make it worth buying. If I could find a FFL close if not in Baltimore, that did both the background check and transfer for under $50 that would be awesome!

In regards to the original poster, I too have the same problem with finding a cheaper out door range. I'm close to the Baltimore area and that yearly membership fee at AGC doesn't look appealing to me at all. I did come across some info on Hap Baker which is a outdoor range. I believe it's a little farther west like in the Westminster area (I'm not exactly sure). From what I read on their site the prices are a lot better, but I don't know how the range actually is/looks.

Correct - Hap baker is located between Reese and Westminster in the county landfill located on the north side of 140.

AGC does have a series of fall sight in days for hunters closer to firearms season for deer. Otherwise, it can be expensive depending on how much you shoot.

---
    Shamr0ck

00Vette

Aug 22, 2015
    Calvert County
    I want a 1911 because I shot a buddy of mines and it was such a smooth accurate handgun. I'm sure there are plenty out there and I'm not dead set on anything particular. BTW, taking it apart to clean it afterwards was interesting. Thanks to youtube, it was pretty easy. LOL

That makes sense about the security clearance.. but still its frustrating having to wait for the long rifle. I already knew about the 7 day wait for the handgun, but when I was told I have to wait for my long rifle.. it just blew my mind!

00Vette

Aug 22, 2015
    Calvert County
    Good to know! Thank you, but unfortunately I work during the week and only get weekends off. I'll have to try and take leave to avoid the idiots. That kind of sucks though. :(

00Vette

Aug 22, 2015
    Calvert County
    I would love to come and if I had my 30-06, I would be on my way right now! The only gun I have right now is the AR15 I had before moving here. I will eventually have my 30-06 (as soon as they say I can pick it up) and a handgun.

But for now, only the one firearm.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm active duty, have a security clearance, never had any criminal issues, and I have to wait for a long rifle? No sir!! This is my constitutional right to purchase and bear arms. I grew up in a Alaska, and as a young boy I would shoot my .22 rifle in my front yard. Never had any issues purchasing or handling firearms until I arrived to this state. I apologize if I offended anyone.. end of rant!

Welcome.

Yeah, you are preaching to the choir. Around here you pretty much have to have a clearance to fart. Just ask the ChiComs.

Show up and tell the legislature how you feel on upcoming "gun" legislation days.

Last edited:

00Vette

Aug 22, 2015
    Calvert County
    @Q31 Yeah, I will definitely be calling up our representative. In fact, I called my Alaska state senator a couple weeks ago about the bill they are trying to pass taking gun rights from older social security recipients.

I understand the desire to take guns from unstable people, but they manipulate every chance to take our 2nd Amendment right.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    myrtle grove is in Charles county in between La Plata and Indian head, and is a 100 yard range. nothing special, but its cheap.

do you have a specific 1911 in mind that you want to buy online and transfer in or are you looking for one in stock? there are a lot of good dealers here, however southern Maryland is sparse for MD shooters IPs. Even if you want to buy online it helps to go talk to your dealer to confirm the transfer process. the local dealers will have no problem helping you purchase the 1911 of your choice.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Myrtle Grove is your easiest bet being a new guy in the area. Weekends can be hit and miss, but don't let it sway you - for every dumbass, there's normally 3 to 4 good people.

If you want to avoid the possibility of asshats, wait for shitty weather - high heat, rain, etc. - then you can have the range almost to yourself, unless I'm out there.

Sanners Lake (private club) does have events that are open to the public on weekends, IDPA, bowling pin shoots, rimfire, etc. - they're just across the bridge, not very far from NAS PAX. They have a nice setup down there.

I was at MG yesterday (3 to closing), and there were no issues or idjits, so don't be afraid to give it a shot. Bring your own targets, and make sure they stay within the orange mesh on the target stands - the rules are posted, most of them are basic rules that you'll find at most ranges in this area.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nope , no just randomly walking into the woods ( unless they are your woods ).

Clsest to you is the 50yd indoor range @ Md Small Arms. I'm not a fan of "zeroing" a .30-06 class rifle @ 50yd , but it is permitted. $25 for the rifle capble lanes , and $10 to have extra person acompony you. Do the math , and if you shoot more than once or twice a year , the AGC dues are quite reasonable by Md standards.

Next closest is Myrtle Grove WMA, w 100yd outdoor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom