• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doc_Ski

Sep 13, 2016
    Hello

New to maryland and i was wondering if you guys could reccomend a place that has a good selection of AR 15s?

So far ive been to

Engage and atlantic

Engage was nice, atlantic seemed a bit pricy

Sorry to double post, i saw another thread for sales but it seemes more geared to hand guns.

Also what range would you recommend? I prefer to bring my own ammo. Live in germantown.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Welcome!
    We have an IP ( industry partners) forum, you can check the different vendors. I know some post up when they get fresh inventory. You may find what your looking for there.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hello

New to maryland and i was wondering if you guys could reccomend a place that has a good selection of AR 15s?

So far ive been to

Engage and atlantic

Engage was nice, atlantic seemed a bit pricy

Sorry to double post, i saw another thread for sales but it seemes more geared to hand guns.

Also what range would you recommend? I prefer to bring my own ammo. Live in germantown.

Go buy a stripped lower from Engage. The guys at Engage have been good to the membership and have supported the 2A fight for as long as I can remember.

Once you get a stripped lower, start looking at LPK's and stock options.

If you get a stripped upper from Engage, then you can look at barrels, gas blocks, muzzle devices, hand guards, charging handles, and bolt carrier groups.

A lot of members in your area have built their own AR's and might be willing to help you assemble it.

If you choose not to build one, the guys at engage will build an AR to your specs, with the parts you want. All you have to do is tell them what you are looking for and your budget, and they will work with you to the best of their abilities.

As for a range that is open to the public:

Cresap Rifle Club in Frederick MD is open on Sundays 10am-3pm. CRC is an outdoor range, 10/25 yard pistol, 50/100 yard for rifle.

The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick is open 7 days a week. TMGN is an indoor range, 25 yards.

Heritage Training Center in Frederick MD is open 7 days a week. HTC is an indoor range, 25 yards.

zxcvbnm

Jun 14, 2008
    Go buy a stripped lower from Engage. The guys at Engage have been good to the membership and have supported the 2A fight for as long as I can remember.

Once you get a stripped lower, start looking at LPK's and stock options.

If you get a stripped upper from Engage, then you can look at barrels, gas blocks, muzzle devices, hand guards, charging handles, and bolt carrier groups.

A lot of members in your area have built their own AR's and might be willing to help you assemble it.

If you choose not to build one, the guys at engage will build an AR to your specs, with the parts you want. All you have to do is tell them what you are looking for and your budget, and they will work with you to the best of their abilities.

As for a range that is open to the public:

Cresap Rifle Club in Frederick MD is open on Sundays 10am-3pm. CRC is an outdoor range, 10/25 yard pistol, 50/100 yard for rifle.

The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick is open 7 days a week. TMGN is an indoor range, 25 yards.

Heritage Training Center in Frederick MD is open 7 days a week. HTC is an indoor range, 25 yards.

This is good information. If you don't feel that you want to build your own rifle, I'd suggest to either buy an engage ar15 or have them build you one. They have the best ARs in the state!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 430

Doc_Ski

Sep 13, 2016
    Welcome! Now leave here before you get to settled in. Maryland sucks!

Lose a bet?

Lol, nah active duty. No worries, 0 plans on staying...Ill do my 3 years at this duty station then move on to the next.

Thanks for all the tips, i was considering getting an annual membership to the nra range. I dont mind mind buying into a membership.

My home of record is florida so all this liberal nonsense is hard to digest. I dont own an AR just yet and i wanna snag one and as many magazines as humanly possibe before you know who will likely take office. That and ammo.....gunbot is a great tool if you guys dont know about it.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Welcome Aboard and thanks for your service ! Engage is a Great place to do it ! I was raised in Md but have a home here in Jax Fl. and try to check in as often as I can. Andrew Raymond at Engage is a Stand-up Guy and will not steer You Wrong. We have a lot of Good IP's here as well! Good Luck.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Howdy, I'm just up the road from you in Clarksburg. The NRA range is alright, but I seem to remember that they're going to be closing for maintenance soon, so you'll likely want to give Creesap a visit up in Frederick. It's a large range (much larger than the NRA) but is outdoors (covered though). It's inexpensive and the wait for a lane is usually pretty short to non-existent unless it's the middle of deer sight-in season. It might be worth your while to look into a IWLA (Izaak Walton League) membership if you're going to be shooting on the regular. There are plenty of chapters around, the closest for you being the Rockville Chapter right off of Clopper Road, most have at least pistol and rifle ranges, some have skeet and trap as well.

I'll toss in my support for Engage as well, especially since they're very pro-active in the fight against the burden on firearms owners her in MD. There are a couple of "kitchen table" type FFLs in the area as well that are good to deal with if you're looking for something specific. Shooting Ventures has been good to deal with in the past for out of state transfers for me.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Does Cresap still have Nazi RO's?

Depends on who is there that day. For the most part the only no-nos for public days are no Class III, no suppressors, no bottleneck pistol cartridges (not sure why, it's an earthen backstop). 1 Shot per second or thereabouts. No different from most other public days at club ranges. I've never had anyone get on me about anything and I've shot just about everything up there that I have in my collection. My guess is you got an overly excited new guy doing his "service" for membership if they were super strict.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    hopefully that was the case. I didn't go back.

Just about every RSO I've ever dealt with up there has been pretty decent. Got a warning about "rapid" firing my PA-63 once on the pistol line, but I was admittedly shooting faster than was really pertinent for target-practice purposes. It used to be a bunch of Fudds from what I understand, but just this past winter, I was talking with some of the newer members (past couple of years) and they're all about cans, SBRs, etc. so the culture up there is likely to be more friendly as time goes on.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Lol, nah active duty. No worries, 0 plans on staying...Ill do my 3 years at this duty station then move on to the next.

Thanks for all the tips, i was considering getting an annual membership to the nra range. I dont mind mind buying into a membership.

My home of record is florida so all this liberal nonsense is hard to digest. I dont own an AR just yet and i wanna snag one and as many magazines as humanly possibe before you know who will likely take office. That and ammo.....gunbot is a great tool if you guys dont know about it.

Sweet welcome !
    Where are you stationed ? I'm stationed down here at Pax river, southern MD
    I bought my first MD HBAR from engage I popped in one day and they literally built my rifle while I sat around and played with a few of their other guns

They even lock tited my MRO and mounted and bored sighted it in for free
    Good group of guys

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Does Cresap still have Nazi RO's?

They always have and always will.

Depends on who is there that day. For the most part the only no-nos for public days are no Class III, no suppressors, no bottleneck pistol cartridges (not sure why, it's an earthen backstop). 1 Shot per second or thereabouts. No different from most other public days at club ranges. I've never had anyone get on me about anything and I've shot just about everything up there that I have in my collection. My guess is you got an overly excited new guy doing his "service" for membership if they were super strict.

Super strict? How about making rules up on the spot, like removing the bolt from a bolt gun, even if you are stowing the rifle in a hard case, as you are packing up to leave. Lets not forget an RO that was fingerbanging my precision AR during a ceasefire...

hopefully that was the case. I didn't go back.

I do my best to stay away from there and just keep to myself, if I ever have to go back.

Just about every RSO I've ever dealt with up there has been pretty decent. Got a warning about "rapid" firing my PA-63 once on the pistol line, but I was admittedly shooting faster than was really pertinent for target-practice purposes. It used to be a bunch of Fudds from what I understand, but just this past winter, I was talking with some of the newer members (past couple of years) and they're all about cans, SBRs, etc. so the culture up there is likely to be more friendly as time goes on.

I got warned about rapid fire on a HK pistol that had the factory LEM triger mod. I explained what happened and was told to try to keep it to a minimum.

Another time I was yelled at for rapid firing a bolt gun that I was hand loading each round, because I doing load development. How the hell hell am I rapid firing a bolt, when the eject/load/aim/fire cycle takes about 30 seconds to a minute? The kicker here is that the douchebag next to me was the one that was rapid firing an AR, not me. That RO didn't even say a word to that twatwaffle.

They might become more friendly as time goes on, but the problem lies in the fact that the FUDDS are there and always will be there. The younger guys are pretty chill and laid back, while the old farts are absolute pricks, with the exception of one or 2. I notice that the younger guys tend to be more lenient and understanding about some things, while the old farts make up rules on the spot and will threaten to eject you from the range, if you do not comply with this unwritten rule.

Until the FUDDS are gone, I probably won't go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom