• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Finally got to spend some time with the new member of the family, a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum. All I can say is, WOW - I was not expecting that kind of recoil! I always thought the talk of magnum recoil was more bluster than anything, but I'll tell you what, it takes some getting used to. It also doesn't help that I have never shot anything more powerful that my CZ82 up until this point.

Well, anyway, once I got the sights adjusted a little and got a hold of my flinching; I think I was anticipating the punishment to come, it seems to shoot somewhat straight.

This target was 10 yards last weekend at Cresap. The 25 yard targets don't look so good, I'll need to practice a bit ot that range for a while, yet.

Attachments

• Super Blackhawk 1.jpg
      Super Blackhawk 1.jpg
      73.5 KB · Views: 251

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    What load were you firing?

Years back I had one of those and at the time Federal had a mid range 180gr or 200 gr lead semi wadcutter round you could find at Dick's and other places. I fired boxes of those midrange loads and felt that the full power loads can't be that hotter. I decided to get some full power 240gr JHP and JSP ammo. The first time I fired one of the JSP's I thought I got kicked by a horse.

I had fired plenty of guns, but no full power .44 magnum. WOW. Woke me up.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Nice, the SBH is one of the best 44 mags out there, if matched with a good load they can be extremely accurate, and while there is no way around a full power 44mag's recoil, the grip shape rolling the pistol back in your hand does help a little, it's built for comfort, not speed. If you don't handload, you can always use 44 special or 44 Russian for a relatively mild practice load, still about as powerful as a 45 ACP though. a 44mag Ruger begs to be handloaded, not only is it a ton cheaper, but you can make the most of the caliber. Load 200gr plated bullets to a very soft shooting 750FPS, 180gr XTPs to 2,000FPS for a fast and flat shooting 200 yard load, or 300gr hardcast to 1400FPS for a big game hunting load, or anything in between. It is the first caliber I reloaded, and still one of the best handloaders cartridges in existence.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    What load were you firing?

Years back I had one of those and at the time Federal had a mid range 180gr or 200 gr lead semi wadcutter round you could find at Dick's and other places. I fired boxes of those midrange loads and felt that the full power loads can't be that hotter. I decided to get some full power 240gr JHP and JSP ammo. The first time I fired one of the JSP's I thought I got kicked by a horse.

I had fired plenty of guns, but no full power .44 magnum. WOW. Woke me up.

I've only put one box through it so far. That was using the Walmart stuff; Winchester White Box 240 grain jacketed semi-wadcutter? Definitely 240 grain, but the copper jacket comes half way up the slug and the slug is conical, but ends in a flat point so I'm not sure what you call it. Semi-jacket wadcutter? Semi Jacket flat nose?

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Nice, the SBH is one of the best 44 mags out there, if matched with a good load they can be extremely accurate, and while there is no way around a full power 44mag's recoil, the grip shape rolling the pistol back in your hand does help a little, it's built for comfort, not speed. If you don't handload, you can always use 44 special or 44 Russian for a relatively mild practice load, still about as powerful as a 45 ACP though. a 44mag Ruger begs to be handloaded, not only is it a ton cheaper, but you can make the most of the caliber. Load 200gr plated bullets to a very soft shooting 750FPS, 180gr XTPs to 2,000FPS for a fast and flat shooting 200 yard load, or 300gr hardcast to 1400FPS for a big game hunting load, or anything in between. It is the first caliber I reloaded, and still one of the best handloaders cartridges in existence.

Yeah, handloading is my list to get into now, you're not the first person to recomend that tome for 44 magnum. So now I have a collection of 50 empties to keep until I get the gear and knowlege to start reloading...

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    hogue makes a BIG grip for it. I added one to my SBH and it helps with recoil, and keeps your middle finger from getting nailed while your shooting.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Nice blackhawk, heres my custom SBH.

rqz0x1.jpg

I was able to hit a 315 yard 2'x2' steel plate with this revolver, and my friend from ny who was down to shoot witnessed it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Not bad at all for your first time with a .44! I love my SBH but you need to be careful That one led to a Blackhawk in .45LC. If I can find a convertable in .357/ 9mm, it's mine.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Nice blackhawk, heres my custom SBH.

I was able to hit a 315 yard 2'x2' steel plate with this revolver, and my friend from ny who was down to shoot witnessed it.

we believed you :)

Those are both beautiful guns.

I always liked the looks and style of the single action revolvers. Somewhere down my list would be a Ruger in either .357 or .44.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Yep.. full house loads can be stout to say the least..Got several of them and a ole 3 screw one..if I may make a suggestion change out the standard Ruger grips for Pachmayr rubber grips or some other brand of rubber grips..I have them on a short barrel BH and a set of oversize wood grips on another..I have noticed the "felt" recoil is less..just a thought..And when / if you reload for it you can load it down..to help out on the "flinch" factor.. 225gr-265gr cast lswc, then to some full house loads behind a good charge of 2400..the .44 mag is a nice round to load for as some one else has stated, If and when you go to Cresap again I'll bring the 2 that I described above to shoot if you want..send me a pm or let me know here...I love my hand cannons...:)

-Rock

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The .44Mag is a strieght foreward ctg to handload, and it cries out for it. Not just for the $ , but more importantly to be able to tailor loads to desired level.
    Meanwhile , .44Rus , .44Spl, and SASS spec .44Mags provide minimal recoil.
    Between 10-20yrs ago "medium" .44mag loads were semipopular. Featiring 240 gr SWC or RNFPs at nominal 1000fps, combined nonpainful recoil with reasonably adaquate for close range deer.
    While the standard BlackHawk grip shape is pretty much universal, the SBH grip is a Love/ Hate thing . XYZ % of shooters have the squarebacked triggergaurd painfully hit second knuckle. If so various aftermarket/ custom grips ( of rubber OR wood OR whatever) address that by filling in behind triggergaurd.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I've got a .44 Magnum revolver by Interarms. Stainless steel, very nice trigger. I shoot it with .44 Special and the felt recoil is surprisingly light becase of the weight of the gun. It's really pleasant to shoot with .44 Special, but I have yet to try it with .44 Magnum.

(Yes, I'll post pics of it and my other guns soonly)

I really like SA relvolvers as target shooters; the force you to slow down, take your time, and focus on the basics.

tjdreams

Dave
    Nov 28, 2008
    Rosedale
    Nice shooting Fishguy

My Ruger 44 Magnum is by far my favorit gun to shoot.
    I'll 2nd or 3rd or what ever it is to the Hogue grips they make a big diffrence.
    For light practis/plinking loads I have bin using Nosler 200gr JSP 10.1 gr win 231 and fed #155 LPM primers with good results.

Last edited:

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Seems like .44 Spcl. is getting harder to find and definitely more expensive. Any local sources / suggestions?

The only loads I've been able to find are Cowboy Action loads. White Marsh Arms carrys them at gun shows, so I can only assume that they have it at the store too. Most hunting/sporting shops that also happen to carry guns won't have the cowboy loads, try hitting up dedicated gun stores.

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    I have both the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum, and the Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP. Both will kick with factory ammo, which is expensive, which is why you should look into reloading. I am loading .44 magnum with 240grain plated hollow points with 9.4 grains of Unique. Nice plinking round, does not beat you to death. Out in Kalifornia back in the 70's, I had a friend try to teach his girlfriend to fire his Super Blackhawk with factory loads. She apparently did not understand "Lock Your Elbow", as when she fired it the first time the hammer made a nice dimple in her forehead. Good luck with your gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom