• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ponypeddler87

Feb 17, 2013
    St. Marys
    Hi all I'm wanting to get into reloading and have a chance to pick up a used dillon precision 650. I'm wondering what kind the value on this is? It comes with alot of componets dies, brass, powder, and thousands of projectiles in various calibers. Do they hold their value? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Mike.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    There is one for sale in DE for $1000 http://delaware.craigslist.org/spo/4926283421.html
    It's the only one using a 2000 mi search range on seachtempest.com. Nuthin used on Ebay.

If it comes with more than 5# of powder, don't tell those of us who live in the PR of MD.
    The extras are where the money really adds up with a Dillon so the more the merrier. Though Dillon has a lifetime warrenty, rust would be a big negative for me. Also a machine that belonged to Uncle Joe that is in parts and pieces could be problematic, especially for a beginner.

If you don't know what Sticky's are, they are permanent posts that live at the top of most forums. There are several on Dillon's. Read those. It's not the easiest choice for the beginner but with the help you can find on this forum and from members willing to "show you theirs" it is doable.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hi all I'm wanting to get into reloading and have a chance to pick up a used dillon precision 650. I'm wondering what kind the value on this is? It comes with alot of componets dies, brass, powder, and thousands of projectiles in various calibers. Do they hold their value? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Mike.

What all comes with it? Depending on what comes with it, it might be worth it.

Also keep in mind that the 650 is not for beginners. If you want to start reloading on a Dillon, get a RL550B. It is a manually indexing progressive press and you can switch between progressive operations and singe stage operations in about 10 seconds. Being able to easily switch between SS and progressive operation is a big thing, especially when doing load development.

I run my 550 as a single stage when making my 308 match loads, but when I want practice loads I run it in progressive operations. All I have to do is pull 3 pins to switch to SS operations. Put those same 3 pins back in to go back to progressive operations.

Depending on where you are, I'd be willing to teach you everything I know and give you hands on instruction, so you know how to safely make your own ammo.

Check out the "sticky" threads. I put a lot of work into setting them up, so it is an easy reference for the community. Those threads are living threads, and members have as much invested in them as I do.

ponypeddler87

Feb 17, 2013
    St. Marys
    I will know what all comes with it later this week the guy I work with is bringing it in, his neighbor is selling it since her husband passed away.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

Dillions lifetime no bs warranty keeps the used market pretty close to the price of new forbthe big items like presses and feeders. usually you can getbthe accessories like tool heads and caliber conversions for typical "used" prices.

progressives can be tricky. you have multiple cartridges in process of being loaded at one time, and multiple chances for catastrophic mistakes. in my humble opinion is much better to start with a simple turret or single stage, to better understand the process of loading and potential problems.

with a progressive, making small adjustments to powder charge or seating length, like a reloader typically does when working up a load, is much more time consuming and difficult. its much easier to make those small batches on a turret or single stage. 5 of 5gr, 5 of 5.1gr, 5 of 5.2gr and so forth. so a good turret or single stage will always serve you no matter how advanced your reloading setup gets.

once you find "your load", the progressive allows to to crank them out quickly.

ponypeddler87

Feb 17, 2013
    St. Marys
    I have a single stage press as well that I picked up a little while back but haven't started using yet. I guess I should start with learning how to use that first before I step up to the big boy stuff. Thanks alot guys

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I have a single stage press as well that I picked up a little while back but haven't started using yet. I guess I should start with learning how to use that first before I step up to the big boy stuff. Thanks alot guys

Good choice. Starting with the single stage will save you frustration and maybe some fingers. The 650 is a fine machine.

warreng

Feb 1, 2012
    With respect to your question on value/price, I purchased a 650XL with everything to reload, 9mm luger, 45ACP, 308Win, 30-06, 223/5.56, 300AAC (complete head units for each so basically pull two pins and change calibers), electronic scale, vibratory cleaner, tumbler/separator, etc 2 years ago. Cost was about $3K new. Find out what all comes with this one and the condition its in and go from there. BTW - Like you I also have a single stage mounted on my workbench for small quantities and test loads.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Take all the things from Dillon, go to their site and add up the prices new.

Most Dillon items hold their value, so 10 - 20% off of new price for the whole lot would be about what I would expect to pay. Since a Dillon 650 press alone is $567 new, go from there. Conversion kits (to change from one caliber to another, NOT including dies) is $78. Die plate (tool head) is $28. An extra powder measure is $77. Dillon carbide pistol dies are $65 a set. It adds up QUICKLY.

Heck a year of so ago, used Dillon presses were selling for MORE than new, due to the long wait to get a new one.

Lifetime NO BS warranty is a good deal. You can send a 650 back to Dillon, and for $75 they will upgrade to the latest specs, replace any worn parts, and basically bring it to brand new conditon. Heck, if it old enough or damaged enough, they have sent back a new press, replacing rather than repairing.

ponypeddler87

Feb 17, 2013
    St. Marys
    What all comes with it? Depending on what comes with it, it might be worth it.

Also keep in mind that the 650 is not for beginners. If you want to start reloading on a Dillon, get a RL550B. It is a manually indexing progressive press and you can switch between progressive operations and singe stage operations in about 10 seconds. Being able to easily switch between SS and progressive operation is a big thing, especially when doing load development.

I run my 550 as a single stage when making my 308 match loads, but when I want practice loads I run it in progressive operations. All I have to do is pull 3 pins to switch to SS operations. Put those same 3 pins back in to go back to progressive operations.

Depending on where you are, I'd be willing to teach you everything I know and give you hands on instruction, so you know how to safely make your own ammo.

Check out the "sticky" threads. I put a lot of work into setting them up, so it is an easy reference for the community. Those threads are living threads, and members have as much invested in them as I do.

If you live in Fredrick I'm about 2 hours away but I'm willing to travel to learn.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Admittedly I'm not overly a Big Blue fanboy , but for the $500 price range with anything beyond basic setup for one cal , you are getting at least a good deal, depending on the additional booty could be great.

This sort of discussion will always have a signifigent minority opining that " sure , beginners can start out fine with a progressive" , but I'm advocate of learning the principles and practices with a single stage. And singles remain handy for load developement and small batches.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Admittedly I'm not overly a Big Blue fanboy , but for the $500 price range with anything beyond basic setup for one cal , you are getting at least a good deal, depending on the additional booty could be great.

This sort of discussion will always have a signifigent minority opining that " sure , beginners can start out fine with a progressive" , but I'm advocate of learning the principles and practices with a single stage. And singles remain handy for load developement and small batches.

Gotta walk before you run.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I wouldn't worry too much about the complexity of the progressive over the single stage just starting out. Just load with one case at a time on the shell plate. The die adjustments are the same. You'll need to make or ensure all the press adjustments are correct...good way to get to know the press.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Problem is, 650 feeds a primer with every press stroke. So if you only put in one case at a time, you get a LOT of primers spit out of the press.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    If my wife sells my Dillon for $500. I'm coming back to haunt her.

Buy it. Don't think twice. You're getting arguably the best equipment out there for home reloading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom