New VEPR's: Muzzle cap designed to be removed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I just took the muzzle cap off of a couple new VEPR's from the CenterFire Systems sale. The previous pictures I've seen have a pinned cap and the pin goes through the threads. On the new ones, the pin goes into the barrel below the threads and the threads are still 100% intact. I wish I'd seen these photos before attempting to remove the cap, it would have made it easier to remove. So I'll post them now so if you get one, it'll be a simple job.

This new ver. 2 barrel may be more suppressor friendly than most AK's.

-Jim

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 820
    Last edited:

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Just had to throw in a photo of the two together. The 20" barrel is a .308, the 16" barrel is 7.62x39.

-Jim

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      62.4 KB · Views: 844

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Using my finely calibrated eyeball, the threads in the first picture don't appear to be concentric. If you use a suppressor, I would get those re-cut, or at least measured.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I had been looking at getting one with the integrated sights a while ago. How do you go about removing the cap? I assume it's wouldn't require a trip to the gunsmith?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I saw the weld point on the muzzle cap and used a dremel tool to follow and grind away the pin. After about 5 minutes I grabbed the cap with a pair of pliers and twisted it off.

I thought the pin went all the way through. It would have been easier if I knew the pin went only half way and didn't intersect the threads.

If you are thinking about getting one, you should! I love these things, by a large margin they are the best AK's I've shot.

-Jim

wuzuprad

Oct 13, 2012
    I just bought a new Vepr .308 and it came two days ago. Is there anyway to tell whether your barrel is pinned the old way or the new way? Also is it threaded to a standard thread size?

Thanks!

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I just bought a new Vepr .308 and it came two days ago. Is there anyway to tell whether your barrel is pinned the old way or the new way? Also is it threaded to a standard thread size?

Thanks!

Don't know, but both of mine had a little weld spot on the cap. The older style I've seen has a pin visible with no weld.

Both of mine are threaded 14x1LH just like a standard AK47.

-Jim

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    How about this... What made you choose the integrated sights model over the more traditional AK type sights model VEPR? Do you plan a conversion to take AK mags?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom