Newb intro with some comments/questions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Just wanted to introduce myself, new to the forum. Great to see a forum like this, and from what I've read so far it seems like we silent "passive/inactive" gun owners owe many of you guys a debt of gratitude. Without you guys going to the hearings and making your (our) voices heard, we'd all be completely emasculated by now. I really appreciate that, and wanted to say thank you for your efforts. I'll try to get involved and to contribute in a more proactive and positive way myself in the future, although I've never been much of an activist to be honest.

A little about myself - I'm not real active in the shooting world, I only have a 22 rifle and a shotgun I last shot probably more than 10 years ago. I always loved guns, growing up my neighbor had a safe full of 'em and both my dad and mom were in law enforcement. Still, never did much shooting other than some plinking and a few ventures in rabbit/squirrel hunting with a friend.

But now that I'm older and have a little more money to spend on "luxuries" like guns, my interest in shooting/collecting has been rekindled. I recently bought a bushmaster 223 M4 which seems like a great rifle. Sure had to fill out a bunch of paperwork though (and wait). When I bought my 22 and shotgun back in the mid-80's I just handed over the money and got the guns with a simple bill of sale. Things have changed, although I guess the "assault rifle" label makes the M4 more complicated. I decided to order an HK91 308 battle rifle clone too after getting my M4, hoping to have that one in a few weeks too. I ordered it because I get the sense that the Maryland and Federal legislators are really going to step up their efforts to ban/restrict/regulate/tax now that the dems are back (not that all dems are bad either). So I'm gonna git while the gittin's good, although man I've been laying out some CA$$$H. Plus with this mass killing thing in VA, jesus what in the @#$%& was that madman thinking?? What a massive tragedy, my heart really goes out to the families. It's a damned shame that there weren't even just a sprinkling of faculty and/or students with legally owned concealed weapons there. If they were present, the shooter probably would have avoided the scene altogether (knowing his fate in short order), and gone to a "gun free zone" for easier pickins. And if he did decide to go in anyway, his spree would have been cut short way before the 32 mark had been reached. Just to think of all those people on their knees cowering, just waiting for the bullets to come in absolute helpless fear and terror. Makes my blood boil someone wasn't there to deal out some instant justice to that evil coward.

And of course I knew as soon as I heard about this incident it would be eagerly exploited to step up regulatory action (which has already begun). I think we're going to have a real fight on our hands defending our 2nd amendment rights as a result of this thing. And the screwed up thing is that these incidents seem to inspire other nuts to top the last one. So there will be more fuel added to the anti-gun fire as time goes on, I'm sure. Anyway, this was the catalyst for me signing on to the forum. Hopefully this incident will not just motivate anti-2nd amendment forces, but will also motivate the silent majority (like me) to come out of the woodwork and more forcefully participate in the political process and make their voices heard. I was at the local gunstore yesterday looking at handguns, and it was much more crowded than usual in there. I suspect that means other gun owners are thinking along the same lines as I am.

Ok, sorry to drone on. One last question, I'm also thinking about getting a Glock of some type. I think I have it narrowed down to a 9mm, either a 17 or I also like the longer G34. I havent handled the 34 yet, but I like the the concept of more accuracy for target shooting. I also was intrigued by the C (compensated) models, but maybe they have downsides I'm unaware of. Anyone have any recommendations on these Glocks?

Thanks

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Oh yeah, what's the best dealer with the best handgun selection and pricing anywhere in the baltimore-DC areas? (I'm willing to drive pretty much anywhere except all the way out to western maryland). Thanks again everyone...

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Welcome to the site!

You have a .223 Bushy M4...didnt know they made that I thought M4 was .308, guess I was wrong.

Handguns- Go to OnTarget by Arundel Mill, Jim's OC Outdoors in Dundalk, or Just Guns on Harford Road. OC and Just Guns are owned by the same people. All 3 are great places to go from my stance. Ive had great luck at all 3. On Target does have an indoor range where you might be able to try 34out the

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Glad to have you join us. I can say from recent experience that getting into activism or back into it can be draining at times, but that's why you do it with other people. Feels less exhausting when you're among friends.

Ok, sorry to drone on. One last question, I'm also thinking about getting a Glock of some type. I think I have it narrowed down to a 9mm, either a 17 or I also like the longer G34. I havent handled the 34 yet, but I like the the concept of more accuracy for target shooting. I also was intrigued by the C (compensated) models, but maybe they have downsides I'm unaware of. Anyone have any recommendations on these Glocks?

The compensated models have more muzzle flash I believe. How much of an issue this is depends on use and person. It's something you should be able to find out with a rental (also if the ergonomics suit you. I found some of the compact models too cramped resulting in scraped knuckles but the full sized ones to be fine).

RnRFreak

Forum Cartoon Character
    Mar 3, 2007
    Overlea
    Welcome to the forums.

To quote Simon, try the Glocks out, they don't fit everyone. Thats how I went to an XD.

Just Guns is a really good shop, and I feel the prices are pretty reasonable.

Continental Arms in Hunt Valley is also a great place to shop around as theres a range there as well with a pretty good selection of rentals, plus JeepDriver works there!

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Welcome,

All of the shops listed above are excellent choices. Continental had a nice choice of Glocks the last time i was up there.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Welcome. We're glad that you're getting back into the hobby (or sport or whatever you wish to call it.)

Being an activist doesn't have to be time or money consuming, although for many of us it is. This forum s a great source of information and we try to make it as easy as possible for you to email, call, snailmail or fax your legislatord or key legislators when issues arise. Attending the gatherings that we organize helps too; it shows our strength in numbers and builds a lot of comraderie amongst us. Plus it's just dang fun. :)

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Its alwasy fun :) Thats why I have been into this forum lately for informatio nand gathering what i knwo. I have been writing and calling the reps myself on the videophone to ensure that people like me still want to be armed.

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Thanks everyone

Thanks for the welcome, looking forward to learning a lot from you guys. Appreciate the heads up on the dealers too, I'll look into them. I handled several glocks (and fired my police buddy's G17 several years ago), a CZ of some type (comparable to the glock), the XD you guys mentioned (the salesguy said it was gun of the year in '06), a beretta (like the state police use(d)) and a few others I don't recall offhand. I dunno, I didn't shoot any of them, but the full size glock seemed ok in my hands. The XD didn't seem to feel any better, but maybe it was and I'm just too dumb to realize it. Right now I'm leaning towards a Glock, plus I like the idea it is so commonly used in law enforcement around the world. It just has to be a good gun to be so widely accepted and used amongst those who truly need the best. Plus all those millions of hours of use and customer feedback over the course of many years I'm sure have been put into constantly revising the design so that it has been pretty much perfected by now. That's my theory anyway. :)

Do you guys know anything about the compensated versions of the glocks? They basically cut these two nostrils in the forward part of the slide and barrel to serve as a muzzle brake. I like the idea of minimal recoil, but I would think the muzzle velocity and perhaps the accuracy would suffer somewhat. Anyone have experience with the C models? Is it a worthwhile feature? Simon have you used the C models? Thanks for your input especially on the topic, I'll try and find a rental place. (never knew you could rent guns though!)

And redneck, you're probably right my bushmaster is probably not an "M4". I just called it that because I've seen similar looking rifles being called that. Years ago I used to call the Colt type 223 rifles "M16's", and then later "AR15's", and then they seemed to be called "M4's", but maybe I have that wrong. It's just a standard 223 caliber A3 (detachable handle) with a fixed standard stock and a 20" barrel. Nuthin' fancy, none of that foregrip, stubby barrel tactical Iraq building to building stuff. Pretty much a standard infantry/target shooting type rifle. I think they call it XM15 on their website.

Thanks again everyone...

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Oh yeah, one more thing. What's a good street price for a Glock? Local dealer wants $620 for a G17 9mm...is that outrageous or a fair deal??

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    thats a bit pricey, but in MD pricey is the norm, I'd still look around some more.

XD's are a bit cheaper IIRC, I prefer the XD grip angle greatly. When I hold a GLOCK at the natural angle I am pointing it 10-15 degrees up.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Jesus, That's High Price
    you can go to bass pro shop and they are having it for 489.88 bucks right now for the GLOCK 17

but I always order mine from the internet and have it shipped to my FFL since its cheaper for me. I am getting the GLOCK 23 for 459 + 15 shipped = 474 and do paperwork which will be in the 510 Range. More money for Mags ( NOT CLIPS LIKE THE MEDIA ! )

I will also add a convn 9mm barrel into that ..

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Oh yeah, one more thing. What's a good street price for a Glock? Local dealer wants $620 for a G17 9mm...is that outrageous or a fair deal??

If you find a local FFL that will do the transfer, you can order a G17 from TopGlock.com for $459.

I had a chance to fire an XD at the DelMarVa shoot last week, and while it is a very nice firearm, I still prefer the feel of the Glock. If I could go back in time to the day I purchased my G17, given the choice of the XD or Glock, I would still purchase the Glock, even if the cost was higher. My next handgun will most likely be a G21 .45. To each his own. You would probably do well to go to a range that rents them and see which one fits you best.

As for the "C" models, I've never had any personal experience with them, but this is from GlockFAQ.com:

Despite their name, compensated models have a ported (not compensated) barrel. Two oblong cuts are made in the top of the barrel with matching cuts in the slide (except the 24C, which has 4 round holes in the barrel and a large oblong cut in the slide). When the gun is fired some of the gases escape out the top of the barrel instead of the front. This helps reduce recoil and provide faster follow up shots. C models are considered a poor choice for personal defense because you would be blinded by the escaping gases in any low-light situation. The following C models are available: 17C, 19C, 20C, 21C, 22C, 23C, 24C, 31C and 32C.

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    Drot I don't know where in MD you are located but my .40 XD is a ported model (i believe you called the glock compensated). If you ever want to try it out let me know. You could also try the 45 if you want. I shoot at On Target, Gilberts Gun range, and Continental somewhat regularly.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If you're still unsure what to buy, both On Target and Continental offer rental guns at fairly decent prices.

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    I had a chance to fire an XD at the DelMarVa shoot last week, and while it is a very nice firearm, I still prefer the feel of the Glock. If I could go back in time to the day I purchased my G17, given the choice of the XD or Glock, I would still purchase the Glock, even if the cost was higher. :
    Blasphemer! Death to the heratic:kicknuts: :smack: :rasp:

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County

Attachments

• glock_male.jpg
      glock_male.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 115

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics