• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blr

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery County, MD
    Hello,

Newbie to this forum and shooting. I have always been interested in guns, shooting, classic and civil war guns. Recently, several home invasions lead me to researching home protection.

Visited local shops; Gilbert Range in Rockville, The Gun Center Frederick, Gun Rack in Burtonsville, Atlantic Guns in Rockville, getting an education on guns, protection and price.

I work in VA; most co-workers are in Sterling, Leesburg and Fairfax, joined NRA or Izzak Walton in VA

So, I purchased a Mossberg 500 Cruiser and a Glock 19, with a Stack On safe.

After reviewing the resources; having trouble finding a resource that will teach Mossberg and Glock one-on-one safety, shooting, and cleaning.

I have found combinations; this location does Glock, this location will not do shotguns, etc

I am looking to join or pay to learn and shoot both guns,

Any suggestions,

This might not be an easy “Just go there” this is a serious matter, gun safety, might be like schooling, learn this here, learn this there. But, a single location or organization that can teach it all, let me shoot, would be great.

Thanks

blr

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    best way to learn is read the manual and clean your firearms. safety first.. make sure non is loaded while cleaning.

take nra basic course.. few industry partners here that will chime in on what courses they have..

welcome.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    As stated earlier, read the manuals, learn the weapons and how they function before even attempting to shoot. There are certain firearm rules that are universal.
    Finger off the trigger until ready to fire
    Never point a weapon at something unless you're fully ready to destroy it
    Know your target and what is beyond it
    Never move forward of a firing line until it is declared safe
    When at a range, always keep the muzzle directed down range
    Anytime you are not using a weapon, keep it either locked up in a box or with the action open and the muzzle down range

There are universal things as far as a gun ranges go. Each will have their own variation in addition to these but this should get you started. You could even take something as simple as a hunter safety course.

Wecome to the forums and congratulations on the new purchases!

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    As stated, a variety of Industry Partners here can probably provide you with what you are seeking, or they know a workaround.

Congrats on choosing a Glock. That's my #1 choice and my speciality. You can't improve upon Glock perfection! :)

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!

Take a look at these links – LOTS of good info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FAQ/Q&A on Maryland Firearm Laws[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

blr

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery County, MD
    Chris,

I love the tag, one of my best is:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Benjamin Franklin

Bruce

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    James, at Proactive Shooters, can offer you quality training.

other options include the Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy and a few other industry partners. Many will do (either normally or by special request) one-on-one or one-on-family instruction in your choice of firearms.

Excellent choices for simplicity and functionality.

The gun rack in burtonsville gets my vote. Good people. Hugh's been good to me, as has Mike (big guy who works there-ask him about quality rifles!) both before and after I started working at a shop. They stock a good bit and will order just about anything you could want.

Get some instruction lined up, buy a ton of ammo, and shoot, shoot, shoot.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Check out the AGC web site (many clubs, great range).....also recommend 2A Sales in Jessup, great folks and lots of experience. Super choice of weapon, by the way!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Sounds like you work close to the NRA headquarters and range.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Welcome from Catonsville!

It may be a bit of a drive, but the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore (www.associatedgunclubs.org) has a nice range facility. Over 30 clubs to join so you should be able to find one that meets your shooting needs.

I belong to Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club (www.monumental.org) . You are welcome to come out to our next meeting on Saturday, March 19 at 2:00 PM at the AGC. No pressure to join and you can check out the club and range facilities!

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    The NRA range does offer some classes (mostly pistol), but they also keep a board of business cards for people who do training (I'm assuming at the NRA range). They'll let you run slugs through your Mossberg at the NRA range, and they'll also let you do (strong-side) holster draws at the range as well.

It sounds like you're pretty close to them, and their range fees are fair for this area. Their ammo is a little pricy, but they do let you bring your own. I go there a few times a month, and their range officers are solid (if you do something bad like shooting the ceiling, they'll explain some of the basics to you, instead of just ejecting you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom