• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    Ok, Newbie to the gun world. Just bought my first..XDM 9mm in black on black. Still waiting the 7 day period. In the meantime, sounds like I need to be building a stock pile of ammo.

Beside 9mm Lugar, what am I looking for? This is for target practice for starters...I mean I guess I would use it for protection if someone broke in.

But are there any suggestions? Brands..I've seen Winchester, Blase and Federal on line.

What are your recommendations?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Basically, from what I remember about 9mm, the cheapest is fine for target parctice, but the ammo is usually dirtier and you have to clean your gun more often (some people clean their gun every time they go shooting so this is not too much of an issue). YOu can even use the cheap stuff for home defense to, but there are much better rounds for that.

Other than that, I will let the knowledable 9mm shooters chime in.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    for target parctice i buy whatever is cheap. check wally world fro some blazer brass or whinchester box. for self defense most recomend a jacket hollow pt, but put atleast 100 - 150 through your gun to ensure proper feeding and reliablility, before you trust your life with it. and i must say i have an xdm 9 and it seems to eat everything ive put through it. good choice.

rli1973

Dec 2, 2008
    Baltimore
    For target shooting shoot 115gr target loads Blazer Winchester or what ever is available. You don't want to shoot expensive ammo on paper targets. Get a good box of ammo for home protection.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I think what he was asking for is what brand of 9mm luger home defense loads do people recommend...

Hornady and Federal both make very good JHP rounds that my wife and I have put through her 9mm. I don't have any experience with other brands but I'm sure others have..

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    I use pmc starfire for personal defense, federals at work.

the starfire is out of production, but I ended up with a "few" rounds at the close of a contract.

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    I appreciate all the suggestions. Also, I don't think cleaning the gun after each use is a bad idea. I wouldn't want to be trusting my life on a hope that it's clean enough to work right. On that note, anything special or just a basic cleaning kit for starts?

rli1973

Dec 2, 2008
    Baltimore
    I clean my gun's after every shoot. A gun is like anything else. You take care of it it takes of you. I have a universal cleaning kit I bought from Walmart years ago. I use it on all my guns.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Ok, Newbie to the gun world. Just bought my first..XDM 9mm in black on black. Still waiting the 7 day period. In the meantime, sounds like I need to be building a stock pile of ammo.

Beside 9mm Lugar, what am I looking for? This is for target practice for starters...I mean I guess I would use it for protection if someone broke in.

But are there any suggestions? Brands..I've seen Winchester, Blase and Federal on line.

What are your recommendations?

only been shooting winchester white box on mine since i got it.. no problems w/ them.

now since its hard to find.. ive been reloading.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    When it comes to cleaning...
    If you shoot a lot (most do in the begining) make sure you get a good quality copper sovlent. Butch's Bore Shine is something I have had good luck with. I also use Sweet's 7.62 for the REALLY dirty (read shot heavily) guns.

CLP is a good all around lube to use.

Just my 2 cents. I am sure other have their favorites for cleaning.

Also... Get good cotton or flannel patches. They pick up a lot more dirt... again.. IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom