• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I just had this random idea in my head to get into competitive shooting at the rimfire level since I have a couple rimfire pistols and rifles. Is there anything similar to a 3 gun competition where you get to run/walk to different stages?

Looking for something suitable for a Sig Mosquito, Savage Mark II SVFR, and S&W M&P 15-22.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Sanners lake (st. mary county) just started rimfire challenge. Its equivalent to rugers rimfire challenge. Rifle and handgun are used.

But dont know if its open to public currently since we just started it. Just trying to get the kinks out first i assume before opening to public.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Gilbert's is only 10 minutes away from me, so I'm there once a week testing new accessories. Quad rails are such a money pit!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    We don't do the running aspects but this Saturday is the monthly Speed Steel match at Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick just up I-270 and both rimfire rifles and pistols are welcome. It is similar to a 5 stage Steel Challenge match. I will be there shooting both my open class Buckmark and AR15-22. As the reigning champion for the last 2 years in that I would be more than happy to help you and maybe even do some practice afterwards. In fact anyone who wants some serious pointers on shooting speed events with rimfires I would be more than happy to do that after any of our events that allow them, meaning Speed Steel (2nd Sat. of month) or Rimfire Falling Steel (2nd Sunday of month) except for those days in which I am out of town shooting other events. And that means I might be entering your event this Sunday, Howard, depending on the roads. The weather looks good for both days this weekend. And I could use the pistol and shotgun practice for the first 3-gun match at Peacemaker coming up on the 16th.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I forgot all about Monocacy: I've been meaning to check them out myself.

OP- do check out Monocacy; it should be a reasonable drive for you. And do not rule out York. They have some great matches, lots of fun, friendly and very open to rookies and newcomers. You might find the drive is not really so bad.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Hmm, the rules seem simple enough:
    http://monocacypistolclub.org/wp-co...Falling_Steel_Match_Briefing_January_2011.pdf

Do I need a sponsor there to be a guest? I'll have to take a look at my schedule to see if I can fit it in this weekend (+depends on the snow)

How long is the wait time vs shooting time? I used to do autocrosses a couple years ago and would spend a little over half a day in a parking lot for 3-5 minutes of driving time. I used to place somewhere in the middle, so I'm not going to be disappointed if I don't place.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Thurmond conservation sponsors CMP RimFire Sporter matches several times each summer. I need to check the schedule to see how many are slated for this season. TCAndSC.org is 15 minutes northeast of FDRK

---
    Shamr0ck

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Hmm, the rules seem simple enough:
    http://monocacypistolclub.org/wp-co...Falling_Steel_Match_Briefing_January_2011.pdf

Do I need a sponsor there to be a guest? I'll have to take a look at my schedule to see if I can fit it in this weekend (+depends on the snow)

How long is the wait time vs shooting time? I used to do autocrosses a couple years ago and would spend a little over half a day in a parking lot for 3-5 minutes of driving time. I used to place somewhere in the middle, so I'm not going to be disappointed if I don't place.
    No just show up early enough to hear the safety briefing (or earlier maybe so someone can check you out). Matches for guests are $5. We break everyone down into 2 squads of shooters, each squad shooters 2 stages in their bay then switches to the other bay for the next 2 stages. Finally we setup a special fast stage in one or both bays depending on entrants numbers.
    You shoot each stage 4 times each consisting of 4 steel plates and a stop plate. Each run is time plus any penalties for misses. Minimum round count would be 100 rounds. Bring more. Range is only 15-20 yards. Plates vary in size from 12"x12" down to 3"x6".
    Myself I went from doing autocrosses to driving in national championship roadracing events, first on motorcycles then for a decade in cars. Even when doing that I sometimes would come back are run a few autocrosses. I have also been a driving instructor for various car clubs. Shooting is what I took up as a new hobby after retiring from motorsports.
    My ID of "photoracer" goes back at least 2 decades or more because when I was competing I also took time out to photograph the events I was in. Besides being big on several shooting forums I am also big on a couple of camera/imaging ones. My younger brother is a pro photographer out West where I am originally from (and will retire to in a few years at most). I will either be driving my black Mazda MPV All-Sport 4WD or my black Mazdaspeed 3.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I gave Monocacy a try for the first time today. I was the one that kept missing with the Sig Mosquito, but I had a safe and fun time. It's definately a lot different than shooting paper sighting targets!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I lost interest in paper that was not an action event a few years ago. Glad to see you came up. This Saturday is the start of our 2013 Pins match (Bowling pins) season, which can be shot with a .22 pistol. 5 full size 3 lb 7 oz bowling pins are setup on our 3 steel platforms at a distance of about 21 feet. Centerfire is setup 1 foot from the front of the table on 2 levels while rimfire has all 5 setup about 8" from the back of the table. All must be cleared from the table for a clean run. Penalties for pins still standing or laying down on the table. Reload if you like, no limit on mag capacity. Muzzle has to be touching the table when the timer goes off. We shoot as many as 10 runs depending on the turnout, only your best 3 count with the winner being the one who has the best 3 run average. Rimfire and centerfire, divisions being revolver and auto, both open and stock. Max velocity 1350 FPS. Most centerfire shooters shoot .40S&W, 10mm, 45 ACP, 41 Mag or 44 Mag, but some shoot 9mm, 357 Mag, or 357 Sig. The heavier bullet the better but higher velocity does not help as much as bullet weight. Rimfire is a speed contest but you have to be able to shoot consistantly and hit as close to the label on the pins as possible. If you don't and the pin spins and fails to clear the table it is 99% impossible to knock it off with a 40g rimfire slug. I will not be there like usual unless something causes me to miss the 3-gun at Peacemaker. So Rimfire Auto open and stock is wide open this Saturday.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    Considering the price of ammo these days, I think .22 versions of our favorite shooting sports would be a good and timely idea. Who can afford to run a 40+ round USPSA field course these days? And then have a prop or steel fail and have to reshoot the stage? I don't know how folks shoot matches anymore, let alone train, with centerfire ammo.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I'm going to need to practice more at my indoor range at 45-60 ft before I come back. I normally shoot pistols at 15-30 ft and can only hit the "+" consistantly at 15-20 ft.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Everybody needs practice. Just a little harder to do now that you can't just stop by the local WM and pick up some more ammo to cover what you shot.
    In July is the PA State Steel Challenge Championship. You can shoot your .22 pistol in the Rimfire division and your .22 rifle in the Carbine division. Might be the last year they have it at the York IWLA.
    Also Sanner's Lake is going to be holding monthly public Ruger Rimfire Challenge type matches once they get the bugs worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom