• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    Looking for a inexpensive but quality BP rifle in a large bore, I suspect 50 cal is what most use. I would like it for large game, i want to start hunting with my son in W Va with BP.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    One of the first decisions you need to make is whether you want to use a traditional BP rifle: percussion lock, flintlock, usually with side ignition and firing round balls or an inline using for instance 209 primers, sabots, scoped, etc.

OnHoPr

Oct 20, 2013
    SE MI
    Agreed with the above. MOST generally speaking the inline will have close to twice the distance, easier to clean, and give less troubles in hunting situations. Being a beginner, I suggest SS, but all SS is not the same. Both can be finicky to start with, but the PRB can be FUN to shoot where the inline and hunting loads need to be wet and dry patched between shots unless Blackhorn is used. The PRB still bewilders me on its effectiveness when hitting a whitetail.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Do you want to get into black powder shooting or are you looking for a muzzleloader just to hunt with?

If it is the former, I would get a traditional like the Hawken mentioned above. If you are just looking to hunt with it, I would only consider a modern inline, also for the reasons stated above. I am very partial to Thompson Center muzzleloaders. Take a look at the TC Impact for around $250. I do not own, but have shot one. It is a nice handling, accurate, and easy to maintain muzzleloader.

If going with an inline, I would also recommend not using pellets and starting off with loose powder. It may not be as convenient but I have found it to be cheaper and the powder has a longer shelf life in my experience. I now use only Blackhorn 209 powder and have zero complaints with it. I also use CCI 209 primers with it and do not use any "designed for muzzleloader" primers.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    why only inline? I still have my first traditions frontier that i built when i was thirteen and can still walk out and kill a deer with it tonite.
    Do you want to get into black powder shooting or are you looking for a muzzleloader just to hunt with?

If it is the former, I would get a traditional like the Hawken mentioned above. If you are just looking to hunt with it, I would only consider a modern inline, also for the reasons stated above. I am very partial to Thompson Center muzzleloaders. Take a look at the TC Impact for around $250. I do not own, but have shot one. It is a nice handling, accurate, and easy to maintain muzzleloader.

If going with an inline, I would also recommend not using pellets and starting off with loose powder. It may not be as convenient but I have found it to be cheaper and the powder has a longer shelf life in my experience. I now use only Blackhorn 209 powder and have zero complaints with it. I also use CCI 209 primers with it and do not use any "designed for muzzleloader" primers.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I said I would only consider inline because they are a more modern technology, many designs are easier to clean with break action designs and tool free and/or easy breech plug removal. In my experience, newer designs do much better in the rain due to the design of the actions. You can certainly use a traditional muzzleloader, but if your only purpose is to hunt, I see no reason not to use an inline. Again...just my opinion.

I do not know the regs in other states, so that could potentially influence your decision.

I can still take my old smooth bore 12 gauge with a Remington slugger and kill a deer. Rifled barrels, better projectiles, and other advancements mean I will never again use that smooth bore to hunt deer. I could, but why?

.458 Dave

Sep 10, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I started out with a CVA in-line muzzle loader and loved it for about 8 years but wanted something more. I got a traditions trapper flintlock pistol kit for christmas one year and I am hooked. Now I use a Traditions flintlock deer hunter. I would say start out with a in-line at first, if you want something more traditional and want to sling some lead balls and use some old technology go with a flintlock.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I have a brand new, never shot Traditions Canyon that can be yours for $140.

PM me if interested

I also have a new matched Rossi pair 50 BP and 12GA rifled slug for $225.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I just started shooting a muzzleloader. I have an inline. It is a blast to shoot. I don't know why I did not try this years ago. Clean up is a pain, but it is still fun.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I just started shooting a muzzleloader. I have an inline. It is a blast to shoot. I don't know why I did not try this years ago. Clean up is a pain, but it is still fun.

I never owned any shotguns until a few years ago. Muzzleloader is new to you and a shotgun and slug gun is new to me. Plus you don't have to give your life history with every Muzzleloader purchase and you can ship them anywhere paper free. Modern guns are like point and click, I prefer a challenge.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Looking for a inexpensive but quality BP rifle in a large bore, I suspect 50 cal is what most use. I would like it for large game, i want to start hunting with my son in W Va with BP.

Buy something in .50 caliber, buy some loose powder and shoot 100 grains, get some 300 grain bullets, get a scope, sight it in, and hunt. Debating one Muzzleloader over the other will last until the Sun burns out. I like to be direct and to-the-point instead of spending all day saying "buy what I use"... they're all the same these days.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    only a pain because you are using the wrong powder!

I think someone should invent a gun that uses a self contained cartridge. Put it in, pull the trigger, and put it away. This measuring, pouring, starting, stuffing, priming, thing is too much like work. :D

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    I'm a Blackhorn 209 convert after using Pyrodex for the last 12 years. Used it for the first time last week sighting in my new ML, 12 shots without swabbing the barrel and cleanup took 10 minutes at best.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I'm a Blackhorn 209 convert after using Pyrodex for the last 12 years. Used it for the first time last week sighting in my new ML, 12 shots without swabbing the barrel and cleanup took 10 minutes at best.
    AMEN brotha! I can't shoot it with the muzzy i have now until i get my custom plug made. cas ass fow show!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom