• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bemmster

Jan 25, 2024
    Harford County, MD
    Hey all! I'm totally new to guns and shooting but I have wanted to dive into it for a while now and I've been doing tons of research. I've done quite a bit of digging and reading regarding the MD laws around AR15s - but I'm getting confused over a few things (seems like that's the norm).

I understand that a Colt AR-15 or a "clone" or "copy" is banned, except for a Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle "clone" or "copy". I get that's because of the HBAR. What I don't understand is the following:

There are some random posts (from other sites) saying that a gas piston AR15 doesn't count as a "clone" or "copy" in MD. I'm not sure how accurate this is, and I can't seem to find a straight answer. Maybe this is a dumb question, but again I'm a newbie.

Is every single AR15 "clone" or "copy" required to have an HBAR? Period, end of story? OR, is that just the common method of making an AR15 fall into the Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle "clone" or "copy" category. For example, if #1 above is true and a gas piston AR15 is not considered a "clone" or "copy", is it still required to have an HBAR?

Another example for #2 above - on the Maryland State Police site, it lists the H&K MR556A1 as not banned because "it would appear that the following internal components of the H&K MR556A1 are not interchangeable with the Colt AR-15; the bolt carrier group, upper receiver, barrel nut, barrel extension with supporting extractor, gas block, piston rod group, piston with rings therefore the H&K MR556A1 is not a copy". Based on that quote, would a MR556A1 still need to have an HBAR to be legal in MD?

I'm basically getting confused over that fact that if an AR15 is NOT considered a "clone" or "copy", I can't figure out if an HBAR is still required or not. Is the HBAR requirement some separate law or reg? Or is using an HBAR just the common method of making it fall into the Colt AR-15 Sportster category?

Are there certain calibers where these type of rules don't apply. From what I'm reading it seems like 300 BLK doesn't apply. Anything else? 6.8?

I also don't understand where people say "just put an approved brace on it and register it as a pistol". I get the concept, but it seems like those laws are constantly changing and I don't know what's current (maybe this needs to be a separate post - seems like it gets complicated).

Thanks in advance! I know stuff like this probably gets posted constantly - but I haven't been able to find anything that specifically answers those questions. I want to stay legal with everything due to having a clearance and making sure I can pass a poly if needed.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Hey all! I'm totally new to guns and shooting but I have wanted to dive into it for a while now and I've been doing tons of research. I've done quite a bit of digging and reading regarding the MD laws around AR15s - but I'm getting confused over a few things (seems like that's the norm).

There are some random posts (from other sites) saying that a gas piston AR15 doesn't count as a "clone" or "copy" in MD. I'm not sure how accurate this is, and I can't seem to find a straight answer. Maybe this is a dumb question, but again I'm a newbie.
    The original AR has no piston- so piston driven systems are legal- unless they are copies of the AK system.

Is every single AR15 "clone" or "copy" required to have an HBAR? Period, end of story? OR, is that just the common method of making an AR15 fall into the Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle "clone" or "copy" category. For example, if #1 above is true and a gas piston AR15 is not considered a "clone" or "copy", is it still required to have an HBAR?
    maybe.

Another example for #2 above - on the Maryland State Police site, it lists the H&K MR556A1 as not banned because "it would appear that the following internal components of the H&K MR556A1 are not interchangeable with the Colt AR-15; the bolt carrier group, upper receiver, barrel nut, barrel extension with supporting extractor, gas block, piston rod group, piston with rings therefore the H&K MR556A1 is not a copy". Based on that quote, would a MR556A1 still need to have an HBAR to be legal in MD?

I'm basically getting confused over that fact that if an AR15 is NOT considered a "clone" or "copy", I can't figure out if an HBAR is still required or not. Is the HBAR requirement some separate law or reg? Or is using an HBAR just the common method of making it fall into the Colt AR-15 Sportster category?
    HBAR is required for AR 'COPIES.'

Are there certain calibers where these type of rules don't apply. From what I'm reading it seems like 300 BLK doesn't apply. Anything else? 6.8?

YUP.
    I also don't understand where people say "just put an approved brace on it and register it as a pistol". I get the concept, but it seems like those laws are constantly changing and I don't know what's current (maybe this needs to be a separate post - seems like it gets complicated).
    Rules for PISTOLS are different from law governing RIFLES.

Thanks in advance! I know stuff like this probably gets posted constantly - but I haven't been able to find anything that specifically answers those questions. I want to stay legal with everything due to having a clearance and making sure I can pass a poly if needed.
    If it's sold by a gun shop- FFL- it's almost certainly 'legal' - until State or Federal agencies change the rules next week.

You should go to MARYLAND SHALL ISSUE for the answers.

Please consider joining;

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I understand that a Colt AR-15 or a "clone" or "copy" is banned, except for a Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle "clone" or "copy". I get that's because of the HBAR. What I don't understand is the following:

A) See answer 'C' (as far as AR15s are concerned).
    B) Only ARs that fire the .223/5.56 round are considered capable of being converted to a 'copy cat' or 'clone'. All other calibers are good as is(are) and do not require Hbars. We're talking strictly AR type rifles here.

C) Any AR that can be converted to a 'copy cat' configuration by changing only one part falls under 'copy' or 'clone'. Gas/piston guns require the replacement of more than only one part, so they do not fail the 'copy cat/clone' rules and do not require Hbars.
    D) See answer 'B'

E) Any weapon you buy as a pistol, is transferred to you as a pistol and recorded as such. Md accepts the fact that there are 'braced' guns out there and considers braces to be fine(federally speaking, the goal line keeps being moved though). You can build your own AR pistol and attach a brace to it in Md.

Bemmster

Jan 25, 2024
    Harford County, MD
    Thanks for the replies!

So hypothetical question to make sure I'm understanding this...

Sig Sauer MCX-SPEAR LT 16" 5.56 although a gas piston operating system, banned in Maryland due to having a folding stock and a flash hider (2 of 3 evils). Correct?

IF for example I order a MCX-SPEAR LT 5.56 16" Upper Conversion Kit, put on a muzzle break instead of a flash hider, attach it to a lower receiver, and add a folding stock - should be legal right? Even though it does not have an HBAR.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Thanks for the replies!

So hypothetical question to make sure I'm understanding this...

Sig Sauer MCX-SPEAR LT 16" 5.56 although a gas piston operating system, banned in Maryland due to having a folding stock and a flash hider (2 of 3 evils). Correct?

IF for example I order a MCX-SPEAR LT 5.56 16" Upper Conversion Kit, put on a muzzle break instead of a flash hider, attach it to a lower receiver, and add a folding stock - should be legal right? Even though it does not have an HBAR.
    Yes, remove the fh or remove and replace with a break and its legal. Some shops will even order a complete rifle with a folding stock and remove the FH before the transfer.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Yes, remove the fh or remove and replace with a break and its legal. Some shops will even order a complete rifle with a folding stock and remove the FH before the transfer.
    +1

I bought an MCX SPEAR from Maryland's Elite Firearms (an IP on this Forum) so I know that the version I got is MD compliant.

Cal68

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    banned in Maryland due to having a folding stock and a flash hider
    Yup.

A) because you could tuck that rifle in your waistband like a Glock 43;

and

B) because the "flash hider" makes you invisible.

1706320801225.jpeg

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    +1

I bought an MCX SPEAR from Maryland's Elite Firearms (an IP on this Forum) so I know that the version I got is MD compliant.

Cal68
    I was in there probably about a year ago and they where trying to get a FH off of one. The owner was on his way to pick it up. Would be kind of funny if that was yours.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I was in there probably about a year ago and they where trying to get a FH off of one. The owner was on his way to pick it up. Would be kind of funny if that was yours.
    Could very well be! Who knows? But I am sure that Dan at Maryland's Elite would have concirmed that it was MD compliant when I left the shop. I am a customer who spends too much $$ there!

Cal68

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Welcome OP and this thread is YET ANOTHER REMINDER of what a sh*t show and circus anti-gunners quickly turn the world into for the rest of us as they go through no end of legislative contortions and legal gymnastics to AVOID AT ALL COSTS actually prosecuting actual criminals, let alone doing anything to instill any sense of accountability in society …

:omg: :deadhorse:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom