• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    Evening gents, I'm planning to pick up another pistol for my next firearm and wanted to get some ideas from you bitter clingers!

I want something that would be good for conceal carry but that would still be comfortable to shoot a hundred through.
    It would also double as a gun My gf should be able to handle better than my full size (4") Springfield XD 9mm (size of gun is issue not recoil).
    We tried a Glock 26 at the range and it was too small. She didn't like it. And it seems like most of the semi-autos handles are too short.
    We looked at a few revolvers, I really liked the S&W model 60, although the price tag and one review I read wasn't great, and its only a 5 shot.

Let me know what you think. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    look at S&W M&Pc
    Kahr Arms

whats wrong wtih S&W 60?? great pistol!! if ammo capacity is a issue then don't look at revolvers. they are great pistols, you still have the Mod 64 which is a 6 shooter, Ruger LCR (if you like poly) or Ruger SP101

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    look at S&W M&Pc
    Kahr Arms

whats wrong wtih S&W 60?? great pistol!! if ammo capacity is a issue then don't look at revolvers. they are great pistols, you still have the Mod 64 which is a 6 shooter, Ruger LCR (if you like poly) or Ruger SP101

First that avatar is disarming...
    Anyway I just read a review that over time too many .357 rounds through it will wear it down. And a reviewer said they had a FTF with it after about 400 rounds. Since its a revolver that didn't bode well with me. But I do like it so if you've had positive experience with one let me know.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    First that avatar is disarming...
    Anyway I just read a review that over time too many .357 rounds through it will wear it down. And a reviewer said they had a FTF with it after about 400 rounds. Since its a revolver that didn't bode well with me. But I do like it so if you've had positive experience with one let me know.

thanks....that avatar just makes my day:D

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    It is really hard to make a wrong decision with all the good handguns on the market. Honestly all you are going to get is everyone's opinion on their favorite gun, which may or may not work for you. That being said, work gives me a free Sig, but I'm a 1911 guy.

The Colt XSE Commander would be worth a look for a relatively compact carry gun. The grip is slimmer than your XD, and might be easier for your girlfriend to handle. The newer model XSEs have the upswept beavertail so the gun won't chew your hand up like an old school 1911. This means the gun will easily satisfy your requirement for being able to bang away at the range for 100 rounds. The 1911 trigger cannot be beat, which makes it easier for your girlfriend to focus on sight alignment instead of managing a creepy, crunchy trigger.

Try lots of guns and see what works best, but at least look at a good 1911.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Look at the G19. If you are looking for a concealed carry gun, the G26 is ideal, IMO. When i take mine to the range, I use G19 mags with extenders.
    images

Keep in mind that when concealing, the hardest thing to conceal is the grip. The shorter, the better.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    45ACP is more of a push because the bullet travels slower. A lot less snappy than 40S&W. I prefer it over the snap of 9mm. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    The Ruger SR9c is a pretty sweet piece too, if you can find one. Nice for concealed carry and you can use the SR9 mags when you go out to the rang for some extra capacity.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Good advice, although I'd be worried about the extra recoil along with a .45 for her to be able to shoot comfortably.

Mine recoils less then the snap from my Keltec PF9 (which I traded toward the XDS). I also have the M&P9C and it is a comfortable accurate weapon and conceals well.

The XDS disappears for me in an IWB holster. It has replaced my M&P9C as my CCW.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    It is really hard to make a wrong decision with all the good handguns on the market. Honestly all you are going to get is everyone's opinion on their favorite gun, which may or may not work for you. That being said, work gives me a free Sig, but I'm a 1911 guy.

The Colt XSE Commander would be worth a look for a relatively compact carry gun. The grip is slimmer than your XD, and might be easier for your girlfriend to handle. The newer model XSEs have the upswept beavertail so the gun won't chew your hand up like an old school 1911. This means the gun will easily satisfy your requirement for being able to bang away at the range for 100 rounds. The 1911 trigger cannot be beat, which makes it easier for your girlfriend to focus on sight alignment instead of managing a creepy, crunchy trigger.

Try lots of guns and see what works best, but at least look at a good 1911.

while they were popular many moons ago the 1911's chambered in 9mm might be a good fit. I know Kimber makes a compact 1911 in 9mm that looks as good as she shoots . Its a little pricy but that's what I would get for the lady who is looking for a good carry piece.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    The SIG 229 is an excellent choice. It is a smaller version of the U.S. Navy Seals pistol. Reliable, accurate, dependable, CZ makes a compact and subcompact version of their CZ75 in 9mm which is a semi copy of the Browning Hi Power, w some modern improvements, such as DA/SA.

I am pretty sure Colt makes a compact and/or a subcompact 1911 in 9mm. Nice thin grip, low recoil pistol with good handling characteristics ( as EVERY 1911 is :-) Don't forget about a PPK or the more modern copy, a BERSA, which is a very well thought of mid size.

Then for the upper class, along with the SIG :-) ( of course I own a SIG, P220, with a Glock G22 and Hi Power ) you have the H & K compact USP, expensive but very nice, and then you have several KAHR models to coose from, like the P9 and TP9.

These are just a few that I would consider off the top of my head, and there are probably a lot more. One suggestion is for you and your girlfriend to go to a range taht has a large selection of rental guns. Handle them first, then shoot a few that feel good to you.

Happy shooting.:-)

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    M&P 9c is good to go. Small mag for CC and full size mag for range time. My brother CC G19 and loves it. The G19 is a great gun but I'm not a Glock fan so I went with the M&P 9c

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom