• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

Now that I have a percussion rifle and pistol, I may want to get a a flintlock rifle and pistol (it may be awhile don't the road through). I can get a flintlock rifle from the place when I got my percussion gun but they don't carry flintlock pistols - any suggestions?
    :party29:
    Or should just get a flintlock rifle 1st?

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    I have only seen one shop local to me carry percussion BP revolvers. You may just have to order one online and have it shipped to your door.

(And for the record -- I have four percussion guns how -- two side lock rifles, a Remington New Model Army and a Dragoon [3rd model])

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The ultimate flintlock fun is a .69 caliber, 1766 Charleville musket.

Cherry's in North Carolina carries these by Perdersoli.

1766.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Can you get fine grain BP over there for the pan?

I say go for something classic.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Now that I have a percussion rifle and pistol, I may want to get a a flintlock rifle and pistol (it may be awhile don't the road through). I can get a flintlock rifle from the place when I got my percussion gun but they don't carry flintlock pistols - any suggestions?
    What's your price range? I'll warn you now, do not try to go cheap on flintlocks. You'll merely drive yourself nuts with frustration.

My recommendation would be the Pedersoli LePage pistol. If you're patient, they'll turn up on GunBroker.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Have you thought about a theme?
    Revolutionary war?
    Pioneer?
    Pirate?

I thought about building the pirate pistol kit

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    :party29:
    Or should just get a flintlock rifle 1st?

I'm assuming you can get black powder where you are.

If so, I learned that 3f will work in the bore and the pan in my .45, and have "heard"/read on the net that 2f will work as well in the larger bores.

I haven't tried the larger powder in the pan, but I don't see why it would not work with a good sparker.

I would vote for a rifle first and then a pistol, but it is certainly your call. Have fun:)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm assuming you can get black powder where you are.

If so, I learned that 3f will work in the bore and the pan in my .45, and have "heard"/read on the net that 2f will work as well in the larger bores.

I haven't tried the larger powder in the pan, but I don't see why it would not work with a good sparker.

I would vote for a rifle first and then a pistol, but it is certainly your call. Have fun:)

Someone suggested to me that I get a mortar and pestle and grind the coarser powder a bit for use in the pan.
    Seems to work. I imagine a pound of 4F powder would last a LOOONG time.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    It does, but I recommend Swiss Null B for priming powder. It's 7Fg equivalent. Everybody at the World Championship level uses it.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    QUOTE=Mike OTDP;3571262]Hard to find a good matchlock these days.[/QUOTE]

John Buck did mine back in my ECW days. Back then you had to know the secret handshake, wink, and the right people to get one of his guns. Apparently it is a little easier now. Mine iz like the one he has on the front page. He has also expanded into later 17th and very early 18th century guns.

The pikemen in the unit used to get upset after running drills for the public. Every one of them used to go home with powder burns after the weekend was over.
    www.musketmart.com

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Someone suggested to me that I get a mortar and pestle and grind the coarser powder a bit for use in the pan.

Don't grind more at a time than you want to go off while your hands are doing the grinding. When BP is made granulating operations are done wet to prevent explosions then the grains are finished and sorted by size. Dry grinding can cause a kaboom buy the right stuff.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County

I've ground small amounts (maybe an ounce) in a bowl using a spoon. Although I've never had a problem the potential is there. I do it outside and wear safety glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom