• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Talking to my closest FFL dealer, he told me that his girl from ATF advised him against doing a release w/o a NICS #. Just saying. As happy as I am that dealers are doing 8th day releases, I sure hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the future. So much conflicting BS out there, all intentional no doubt.

See, this is the stuff that causes problems. Oh Lordy, your closest FFL dealer's ATF "girl" advised him against doing a release w/o a NICS #. Me, I want the "girl's" name. That way, I can call and confirm the position, or send a letter and confirm her position. Always better to leave a paper trail.

There has been thread after thread on here about how 8th day release is legal. This is being covered in the training sessions by ATF agents. They are showing dealers how to complete the paperwork for an 8th day release when there is no NICS number.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Sounds like there was explicit confirmation of the "SBRs are exempt from copycat tests and named list tests" at the meeting yesterday, so that's promising progress.
    Aaaaaarrrgggghhhhhh! This was confirmed at the FIRST meeting earlier this week. Thats why I started this thread. You just didnt want to believe it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Guys, time to give it up and accept that things not banned in the law are not banned! This really is not monumental news! I have been saying that from the start. Of course it feels like a victory for gun owners after all thats been said here but man, MSP and the AG have said it. Even if a future MSP or AG change it in the future, it gives them little hope in any court battle. Plus they are correctly reading the law now, so we are ok. Give it up, SBRs are going to be OK. You can build your lower. You can get your gun with a purchase order post Oct!

The only question I still have is what is a purchase order, legally! No opinions please.

lol - so, no legal opinions either? There really is no definite answer to what a PO is. In normal business practices, a company issues a PO, with no deposit, to a vendor and the vendor fulfills the PO by delivering the product, at which time the vendor is either paid immediately or the vendor invoices the company that issued the PO.

So, you are pretty much going to have to go with what the MSP defines a PO as. In this case, it is essentially a written order for a firearm with some sort of deposit put in place. I wasn't there for the training seminars, so I did not hear this first hand. There's my disclaimer.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    lol - so, no legal opinions either? There really is no definite answer to what a PO is. In normal business practices, a company issues a PO, with no deposit, to a vendor and the vendor fulfills the PO by delivering the product, at which time the vendor is either paid immediately or the vendor invoices the company that issued the PO.

So, you are pretty much going to have to go with what the MSP defines a PO as. In this case, it is essentially a written order for a firearm with some sort of deposit put in place. I wasn't there for the training seminars, so I did not hear this first hand. There's my disclaimer.

Lol - ok, you got me. I welcome opinions of what it means legally. I was just trying to avoid everyone giving me their 2 cents as thats pretty meaningless as they are all different.

Here is the other odd thing about the PO think. If the purchaser (me) issues a PO to say Beretta. Beretta get the PO and sends the gun with a Bill! So when the gun comes in, the PO is not with it... Normally it would not come back to the buyer at all...

I do agree, its however MSP defines it. Thats why I sent that letter mid June and still have not gotten a reply...

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    I don't feel like wading through numerous pages in this thread to see if anyone posted something similiar, but the Striker 12 is on the "assault weapons" list, is an NFA firearm, and will be banned. Therefore, the broad notion that NFA firearms are untouched is not entirely true.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Hate to burst your bubble, but it appears that this has changed in the past couple of days, according to the MSP report I got today from a buddy that has been in contact with them on a regular basis.. SBR's now seem to now fall under the 'copycat' and 'min length requirements' as stated in SB 281... :mad:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I don't feel like wading through numerous pages in this thread to see if anyone posted something similiar, but the Striker 12 is on the "assault weapons" list, is an NFA firearm, and will be banned. Therefore, the broad notion that NFA firearms are untouched is not entirely true.

Good point... I am guessing we have a case of added to the list before it was determined to be a DD.

Hate to burst your...a regular basis.. SBR's now seem to now fall under the 'copycat' and 'min length requirements' as stated in SB 281... :mad:

Here we go again...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hate to burst your bubble, but it appears that this has changed in the past couple of days, according to the MSP report I got today from a buddy that has been in contact with them on a regular basis.. SBR's now seem to now fall under the 'copycat' and 'min length requirements' as stated in SB 281... :mad:

No. A copy cat has to be a rifle. This is the place where you need to suspend logic.......A SBR is not a rifle. It is a SBR.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    No. A copy cat has to be a rifle. This is the place where you need to suspend logic.......A SBR is not a rifle. It is a SBR.
    Well, if my buddy is right, the MSP will be reclarifying their position very soon do dealers, as this is contrary to what they have been telling them lately... I suspect we'll just have to wait and see next week.. :envy:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Just to clarify and validate him a bit, I know that for the past several weeks he has been on the phone (MSP) with them every couple of days, this was passed on to me this afternoon, much to both of our surprises. I would trust that this will be confirmed very shortly.

I think you have our illustrious AG to thank for this new interpretation of the law... :rolleyes:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Just to clarify and validate him a bit, I know that for the past several weeks he has been on the phone (MSP) with them every couple of days, this was passed on to me this afternoon, much to both of our surprises. I would trust that this will be confirmed very shortly.

I think you have our illustrious AG to thank for this new interpretation of the law... :rolleyes:

MSP said this week that NFA won't be touched. I may or may not know people who were and are very involved in this process.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    MSP said this week that NFA won't be touched. I may or may not know people who were and are very involved in this process.
    I hope you are right, because this is a reversal from what they have been saying and this person admitted that to him.

For once, I hope the contact that my buddy had with them today is dead wrong!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I hope you are right, because this is a reversal from what they have been saying and this person admitted that to him.

For once, I hope the contact that my buddy had with them today is dead wrong!

It's the first post in this thread, and I have also discussed the issue with a couple FFL's I know who corroborate the information.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It's the first post in this thread, and I have also discussed the issue with a couple FFL's I know who corroborate the information.
    I realize that. Apparently he (MSP) was just as surprised and peeved as we were to hear him say that.... just repeating from a reliable source... again, I hope he was misinformed.. This apparently was just revealed yesterday to the MSP contact that he was talking to and is directly the opposite of what they were led to believe and what they have been telling dealers and FFL's the past couple of weeks.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO

I've been following this line of thought, and it was a head scratcher until I broke it down. Maybe this will help explain it:

1) "Rifle" = firearm with a rifled barrel that is at least 16" in length;

2) "Copycat weapon" = any "rifle" with a barrel at least 16" long, but with an overall firearm length of <29" = banned; basically the goal seems to be to ban bullpup configurations.

2) "AR15" = a subset of "rifles" = named "assault weapon"; if the AR15 has barrel of 16" or greater it is banned as an "Assault weapon."

3) SBR/"short barreled rifle" = firearm with a rifled barrel less than 16" in length.

4) SBR AR15 = firearm with a barrel less than 16" = not a "rifle" = not a banned "assault weapon."

That is some hair splitting right there, but it makes sense. No wonder I'm not a MD lawyer . . .

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I realize that. Apparently he (MSP) was just as surprised and peeved as we were to hear him say that.... just repeating from a reliable source... again, I hope he was misinformed.. This apparently was just revealed yesterday to the MSP contact that he was talking to and is directly the opposite of what they were led to believe and what they have been telling dealers and FFL's the past couple of weeks.

IANAL.

In order for MD to ban NFA firearms, the law would have to specifically address them. It does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom