• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    Tried to search but may have missed it.....

When I was in the service (got out in 95) I had a chance to use NVG a lot. I am wondering if anything on the commercial market matches what we had in the Army back then?

Anyone with experience in the commercialy available stuff? I would love to know how good and for how much anything might be out there.

TIA
    B1Web

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    Tried to search but may have missed it.....

When I was in the service (got out in 95) I had a chance to use NVG a lot. I am wondering if anything on the commercial market matches what we had in the Army back then?

Anyone with experience in the commercialy available stuff? I would love to know how good and for how much anything might be out there.

TIA
    B1Web

There are plenty of options available, although a majority of the commercially available stuff is Gen 1 optics. It really depends on how much you're willing to spend. You can buy ATN PVS-7/PVS-14s on eBay, but they can run anywhere from $1500-4000. Of course, they are Gen 2-3, which "open up the night" a lot better than Gen 1s. My only real experience with NVGs was in the Marine Corps, and we used the PVS-7s and 14s.

Just depends on how deep your pockets go. If you think you'll be satisfied with Gen 1s, you can get a decent pair for a few hundred dollars.

B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    Warpig, any idea what Gen would have been in the Army in the early to mid 90's? I have no idea what model we were issued. Just that they were an amazing tactical advantage in the right conditions.

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    Warpig, any idea what Gen would have been in the Army in the early to mid 90's? I have no idea what model we were issued. Just that they were an amazing tactical advantage in the right conditions.

Im assuming they'd be Gen 2-3....they used Gen 1 in the Vietnam era, so Im sure they were probably using Gen 3's by Desert Storm.

If you can spare the money (and have patience lurking eBay for a bit), definitely get the Gen 3's.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    I used gen 2 PVS7 NV (Goggle) while in mid '90 Army. It gave me headache everytime. Gen 3 PVS 14 is a lot better- more clarity and versatility, which can be used w/ helmet or head mount, as well as on your weapon.

If you are getting a commercial ones, make sure that is has at least ITT 2/3rd gen tube, w/ plenty of warranty, either PVS7 or 14. Plan on spending around $2000-3300 for one. Gen 2 is OK, but Gen 3 mades a huge difference. Some NV was built entirely by ITT. Some built by other companies using ITT components. Some even built w/ imitated components w/ fake spec. A mil-spec NV has to meet certain standard, but doesn't mean the one made by ITT w/ a blemish (dot on NV lenses) for commercial purpose is not just as good.

I was in the same situation, while looking for a NV Gen3. I just plainly avoided anything ATN or e-bay. I would actually consider a pre-owned one: if it has good warranty left (up to five years, some 2 years), spec sheet w/ matching serial number, low hours, of course the overall conditions. And, make sure the seller is reputable and will allow 3 days money back. I got mine brand new for less than $3000 w/ 5 years warranty earlier this year.

Do a search at AR15.com under NV subjects and FS optics section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom