• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    For those not aware, the License to Carry process in New Jersey involves several Offices/Agencies. Local Police, State Police, County Prosecutor, and a Superior Court Judge.

It appears Judges and Prosecutors in some counties are following NY's lead and are using posts on social media as justification to deny an applicant.

This applicant has retained counsel and will be appealing his denial.

Screenshot_20220923-004010.png

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There are other instances of NJ denying firearm applicants for arbitrary things. Those who don't follow NJ gun rights closely don't know.

Things like this don't make the news. At best some gun blog or social media influencer makes a story, but overall the media does not care.

I believe the ANJRPC is now involved in this case. They are constantly working hard behind the scenes.

My wife and I will be going in front of a NJ Judge in a few weeks for our NJ Permits.

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The thing about social media there are those that hold it up like its some talisman of higher power and knowledge. Others like me see it as a grocery stor billboard where you occasionally drop in to do something crass and make jokes and take it about as seriously as an onion or Babylon Bee article. Anything on social media is judge subjectively and not objectively because those that moderate it and those that use it as some sort of cache of intel on people have blinders on. I hope that citizen of new jersey all the luck and hope that social media stalking takes a hit. Social media the 21st century's more dangerous version of the National Enquirer.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    We should not have to ask permission to exercise an enumerated Right!
    And that's exactly what a HGP is. Same goes for NJ and those laws.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Well look at it this way, if you can't post responsibility (1A) you shouldn't be able to carry (2A).

But hey you can still be a politician and say and write all the stupid shite you like, and if you choose to be a Democrat politician then you can pull strings to get a permit, so where there's a will there's a way.

Or you can sue the shite out of them for denying your civil rights.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Well look at it this way, if you can't post responsibility (1A) you shouldn't be able to carry (2A).

But hey you can still be a politician and say and write all the stupid shite you like, and if you choose to be a Democrat politician then you can pull strings to get a permit, so where there's a will there's a way.

Or you can sue the shite out of them for denying your civil rights.
    Who defines "post responsibly"?

The Twitter censors? Mark Zuckface? Google search algorithm coders? A NJ judge?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    There are other instances of NJ denying firearm applicants for arbitrary things. Those who don't follow NJ gun rights closely don't know.

Things like this don't make the news. At best some gun blog or social media influencer makes a story, but overall the media does not care.

I believe the ANJRPC is now involved in this case. They are constantly working hard behind the scenes.

My wife and I will be going in front of a NJ Judge in a few weeks for our NJ Permits.
    How long is a NJ permit good for? and is the process the same every-time

And as far as something that was posted years ago or even a day ago should be exempt, crazy world we live in .

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Who defines "post responsibly"?

The Twitter censors? Mark Zuckface? Google search algorithm coders? A NJ judge?
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I was being my sarcastic self. IMHO any kind of 2A permits should not be required period. Also I don't get the whole social media importance, people have they right to say and write all the stupid stuff they like as long as its not liable or slanderous to non public figures . Everyone has the right to open mouth and insert foot. Its up to the reader, listener to decide to pay attention or move along.

One mans wise man is another's fool. (You may replace man with woman, or any of the other made up genders of your choice).

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I was being my sarcastic self. IMHO any kind of 2A permits should not be required period. Also I don't get the whole social media importance, people have they right to say and write all the stupid stuff they like as long as its not liable or slanderous to non public figures . Everyone has the right to open mouth and insert foot. Its up to the reader, listener to decide to pay attention or move along.

One mans wise man is another's fool. (You may replace man with woman, or any of the other made up genders of your choice).
    Got it. No, it was me, not you. My sarcasm meter was off at 5:30 this a.m.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    How long is a NJ permit good for? and is the process the same every-time

And as far as something that was posted years ago or even a day ago should be exempt, crazy world we live in .
    It's a 2 year permit. It's all via paper at this time and will likely change to an online application by the time I renew.

The man who was denied said the post/s they used as a basis for denial were from an old and no longer used FB account and the post/s were 6 years old.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    For those not aware, the License to Carry process in New Jersey involves several Offices/Agencies. Local Police, State Police, County Prosecutor, and a Superior Court Judge.

It appears Judges and Prosecutors in some counties are following NY's lead and are using posts on social media as justification to deny an applicant.

This applicant has retained counsel and will be appealing his denial.

View attachment 381243
    Who is the "governing authority" for permits? Is it the State Police, along with input from the County Law Enforcement Agencies, prosecutors and judges?

My nephew is going through the process now, I'll have to give him a call and see where he is at with it. New Jersey is f'n weird, with their law enforcement agencies. Every county has a law enforcement agency for each "city" in the county.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It's un-effing-believable that that's even a thing.

My wife just joined me in having a MD permit, and is still seething at the hoops this state makes you jump through, even post-Bruen. But ... go before a judge to see if you're worthy of exercising an enumerated right? Gaah!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Who is the "governing authority" for permits? Is it the State Police, along with input from the County Law Enforcement Agencies, prosecutors and judges?

My nephew is going through the process now, I'll have to give him a call and see where he is at with it. New Jersey is f'n weird, with their law enforcement agencies. Every county has a law enforcement agency for each "city" in the county.
    I can't say for sure because it seems that each county does things a little differently. It appears the prosecutor tries to find things to bring to the Judges attention to give them a cause to deny an applicant.

In this instance the applicant was cleared by the law enforcement side of the investigation. The court side is at the very end is what denied him.

I'm about to find out how tis this pans out in Salem County NJ in a few weeks when I appear before the Superior Court Judge.

Last edited:

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Valid story or not, things like this just reinforce my decision many years ago not to get involved in social media like FB, Twitter, etc. And with the current cancel culture, woke mentality from the left, intrusions like the one mentioned, are only going to get worse IMO.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    It's a 2 year permit. It's all via paper at this time and will likely change to an online application by the time I renew.

The man who was denied said the post/s they used as a basis for denial were from an old and no longer used FB account and the post/s were 6 years old.
    Interesting. I don’t know how this holds up in court.
    If the guy already owns firearms (and has for some time), then it’s really going to be bad for this judge.
    I assume they’re using “good moral character” as the basis for denial?

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    How do they dig up such an old post without help from FB, or them having something on the guy already?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's un-effing-believable that that's even a thing.

My wife just joined me in having a MD permit, and is still seething at the hoops this state makes you jump through, even post-Bruen. But ... go before a judge to see if you're worthy of exercising an enumerated right? Gaah!
    It is absurd.

To be fair, not all NJ Counties are demanding a court appearance. Many Judges are signing off based on the LE investigation.

The court date I have for NJ is the first in that County so it's unknown how it will go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom