• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jared

Jul 7, 2022
    MI
    Unless the law changed (and I didn't catch where the new law just signed had anything to do with carry permits), you don't need the FOID to get the carry permit as an out of state resident.
    I didn't when I applied but that was 2010 I believe.
    According to NJ code, you’re correct. You need an FID card before being issued a Handgun Purchase Permit; however, nothing requires an FID card to apply for a carry license.

The NJSP seem to have a bit of a better handle on this than a lot of local PDs. NJ gun lawyers have consistently told me that the people who apply to the state police like the non-residents have an easier time and a faster turnaround time than most residents who have to suffer through their local PD.

You’re also correct about nothing in NJ code changing for carry permits through Trenton. Next session is when they will make it a felony to bring a handgun anywhere except in your vehicle or for when stepping off your property into the street to open the mailbox.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Any clarification on the training required? Saw in that email that it appears that applicants will not have to do the NJ LEO PTC firearms proficiency course but will need an NRA instructor to sign off that the applicant is proficient with firearms and won't shoot their eye out.

At least that's the way I read it.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Any clarification on the training required? Saw in that email that it appears that applicants will not have to do the NJ LEO PTC firearms proficiency course but will need an NRA instructor to sign off that the applicant is proficient with firearms and won't shoot their eye out.

I would encourage folks to go ahead and apply with whatever training they have. My hunch is the Issuing authority will let you know if there’s something you’re missing.

That’s what they did in my case

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I would encourage folks to go ahead and apply with whatever training they have. My hunch is the Issuing authority will let you know if there’s something you’re missing.

That’s what they did in my case
    Did they accept your application without a NJ FID # on the form?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Based on what Im being educated on by those who live in NJ and the NJSP, the course of fire isn't even needed. The course of fire is for the PTC training option. That's not the only option. Another option is to just have an NRA instructor certify that you have demonstrated safe handling and use of a handgun. The make, model, and serial # must be on the form along with the Instructors NRA #

Last edited:

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I found NRA training locally here in PA. Seriously considering the Basic Pistol, and the Certified Trainer, with BIT. 8 hrs, then 16 hours, at $135 each. Then I should be able to get the MD cert. and hopefully be qualified for other states. For less money, and a little bit more time. Especially since so many MD courses are mostly booked up now. And it would save me travel expenses.
    Hopefully I can certify myself as needed. I don’t plan on teaching anyone else, but the option would be there.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    My question after reading all the laws.

Unless I missed something, I don’t see anywhere, that it requires an application be submitted in person?

It mentions that a Non-Resident may not submit application to any barracks located on a Toll road, and must submit to a State Police bArracks. But I have not noticed anywhere that requires it to be done in person?

can anyone verify that? And how and where it can be verified.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I just checked distance... my place(Linthicum-ish) to Bellmawr State police barracks... 103 miles... Bridgeton State police barracks... 102 miles. Just sayin'.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I spend an inordinate amount of time in that State. I was curious as to travel for dropping the paperwork off in person.
    ETA... Woodstown barracks 84 miles... that's even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom