• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I have a M1A NM and if you know anything about these they are bedded into the stock. It is recommended not to remove it but if you do you need to knock it out with a dowel. Doing so may lossen the action within the stock. It's a 1/2 Moa shooter and it's never been apart in the 30 years I have owned it. I understand there are stocks out there and I think they are aluminum that will maintain or improve the accuracy. I'm looking for some suggestions or if anyone has experience with these stocks.

Oh and I bought it in California before it went into the toilet.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You're shooting 1/2 MOA. Do you think it would be wise to mess with a good thing? I doubt you will get any better performance out of any other stock.

Good Luck!

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    I bought my M1A as a 7.62 battle rifle
    It was a "loaded" model with a lot of NM parts.
    Shoots better than I do and I bought it back when surplus ammo was abundant and cheap .Never intended to shoot it with anything but surplus for the most part.
    Guess by today's standards building a bench rest semi-auto .308 hand loaded ammo target rifle few are using a M1A platform.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    You're shooting 1/2 MOA. Do you think it would be wise to mess with a good thing? I doubt you will get any better performance out of any other stock.

Good Luck!

Wondering after 30 years it would need a cleaning. I have about 1k rounds through it. I guess if no one else cleans theirs I could leave it. I've used reloads for it 168gr Sierra BTHP. After firing about 200 rounds of mil surplus. There is a Internet document called Reloading for the M14 rifle. I've used the same tips for my M1.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I glass bedded my M1 over 25 years ago and it pops lose with a couple of lite taps. I don't take it out of the stock very often, but I don't think that when I do take it apart, that it affects it's accuracy. It will still shoot better than I am capable of.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Fulton guarantees sub MOA performance for $3499, on sale for $3149.

1/2 MOA M1A, LEAVE IT ALONE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom