• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    So what's the best way to deal with nocturnal deer?

The bow hunting spot in my backyard has dried up, however the trail cam shows that the deer are still coming in, but only at night. The deer feeder (my kids manually dumping a bucket of corn) goes off late in the afternoon. I wonder if simply putting the corn out early morning would change their routine?

FWIW they are coming in from midnight to 6am.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Is this a real question?

You send your kids to put a bucket of corn in the afternoon and don't know why deer are coming in the night? Really?

Ferg

Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Dorchester County
    Sure, but they will probably think the food source dried up, and may take a while before they figure it out again. Of course, if they're the only ones, the food will still be there at 3am.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    we have a bird feeder in the backyard. my wife fills it each morning while taking the dog for a spin around our property. most days within ten minutes of her filling it, we have 3-10 deer fighting over it, and they come back thru several times a day. there is literally a path from the adjacent woods to the bird feeder, from deer, raccoons, etc.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    And the hits keep coming!!

"night vision or send the kids in to drive the deer to you"

Night hunting is highly illegal and sending his untrained kids into his path is highly unsafe"

Please think before you post..!!

Once deer have become nocturnal, it is very difficult to overcome. What you can try is getting an electronic feeder such as a Moultrie Pro and gradually start feeding earlier and not in large amounts(3-5 seconds) so that the deer have to get there earlier or go without and put a mineral rock for attraction as well..That has worked for me....

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    "night vision or send the kids in to drive the deer to you"

Night hunting is highly illegal and sending his untrained kids into his path is highly unsafe"

Please think before you post..!!

Once deer have become nocturnal, it is very difficult to overcome. What you can try is getting an electronic feeder such as a Moultrie Pro and gradually start feeding earlier and not in large amounts(3-5 seconds) so that the deer have to get there earlier or go without and put a mineral rock for attraction as well..That has worked for me....

The mineral rock is a good idea, but that will usually be out there 24/7 for a while. He just needs to get them into the habit of coming around for the food in the morning. Wait until the ground is snow covered and the temps really dip down. Those deer will be hurting for food and will not be nocturnal when their stomachs are empty days on end.

Now, if there is another food source in the area, then he might be completely screwed.

End of the day, it all depends on the totality of the circumstances.

deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    my suggestion which i used on a feeder but will still work with the hand dumping is to cut back amount dumped to 10 percent of current amount then every other day move time back 30 min. earlier till you start seeing them at legal shooting light

Last edited:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    You send your kids to put a bucket of corn in the afternoon and don't know why deer are coming in the night? Really?

Yep, its a real question. That's why I posted it. In the past 10 years of feeding the deer in the evenings I have never had an issue with them being nocturnal, in fact you could set your watch by them in the past.

The mineral rock is a good idea, but that will usually be out there 24/7 for a while. He just needs to get them into the habit of coming around for the food in the morning. Wait until the ground is snow covered and the temps really dip down. Those deer will be hurting for food and will not be nocturnal when their stomachs are empty days on end.
    Now, if there is another food source in the area, then he might be completely screwed.

End of the day, it all depends on the totality of the circumstances.

That's actually my game plan at this point. Hopefully late season bow hunting will be good

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom