• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    These are kits that contain parts that can be used to manufacture lowers for the AR15. I have no association with this company. I don't know a lot about how a steel lower would work, but this is an option to get a AR before the deadline and it is only $25 for the kit.

http://www.theflatspot.net/ar-15-receiver-flat.html
    6057196_orig.jpg

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this and also how many will pull the trigger on this one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This guy is top notch, he has been in business for a while and his other stuff plain works.

I love seeing this kind of stuff, gun grabbers can talk all the smack they want about stopping the proliferation of firearms but it is a lost batter. Good luck stopping the AR platform or home builders on other platforms. It's not going to happen, there is too much technology in the hands of the public to prevent firearms from existing.

RDavidP

Mar 8, 2007
    Frederick
    I would get one, but looks like it requires welding. Operating a drill press is one thing, the safety and strength of a receiver relying on my welding skills, which is none, is another. :D Looks like a good idea if you know how to weld though.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    My neighbor is a machinist and has all the tools.
    I showed him this and he loved it.

As for rust... Straight steel would be a prime candidate for parkerizing everything. I am wondering though, how much that would alter the tolerances.

There are enough options for coating between chemical bluing, to dura-coating / Cerakoting....
    Weight and necessary skill would be my two biggest draw backs.

Chris

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    depending on the steel the biggest drawback would be rust, everywhere.

My neighbor is a machinist and has all the tools.
    I showed him this and he loved it.

As for rust... Straight steel would be a prime candidate for parkerizing everything. I am wondering though, how much that would alter the tolerances.

There are enough options for coating between chemical bluing, to dura-coating / Cerakoting....
    Weight and necessary skill would be my two biggest draw backs.

Chris

Since rust is always an issue when welding ( the joint will rust fro the inside out) just use some Weld Thru Primer . Stuff is great for replacing sheet metal panels on a car just wear a respirator (not a mask)

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    This looks like an ideal platform for mounting one of the 50BMG uppers, especially one of the single-shots. Strength when properly welded would be far superior to aluminum.

Ugly as home-made sin, though!!!

Runamuck

Jul 20, 2013
    Does this fall under the same category as an 80% lower, with no serial number, no need to register, no waiting period, etc. ?

silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    MarineTex.:innocent0

Call me crazy but:
    Almost every mating surface is flat plate to flat plate. I'm just wondering whether JB Weld would do it. Rough it up first then clamp it in a vise and let it cure 1 joint at a time.
    Only identified 3 places that are edge joints, and would need a tack weld. For 25 bucks it could be fun to try.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Call me crazy but:
    Almost every mating surface is flat plate to flat plate. I'm just wondering whether JB Weld would do it. Rough it up first then clamp it in a vise and let it cure 1 joint at a time.
    Only identified 3 places that are edge joints, and would need a tack weld. For 25 bucks it could be fun to try.
    I would think the added thickness of the JB Weld could screw things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom