• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Has anybody done the research to determine which combination of state non resident carry permits comes closest to covering the entire country? I realize there are states (such as MD) that erect significant barriers to legal carry and have no intention of pursuing single state permits. I have Utah and would be willing to apply for 1 or 2 more if I could come close to full coverage.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think the New Hampshire permit covers 28 states. It also covers all of the surrounding states of Maryland other than Delaware. Since you have to do nothing but complete the paperwork and mail in the fee, it's the easiest one to get that covers the most states. But if you want a slightly better alternative, the Florida permit covers something like 36 states. However there is a lot more to getting that permit. Nothing too difficult but it's not as easy as New Hampshire.

I know nothing about Utah, so I won't speak to that.

mjester93

Mar 28, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    Depending on where you travel, here are a few options:

* New Hampshire: allows two additional states (NH, PA)
    * Texas: allows two additional states (NM, PA)
    * Florida: allows two additional states (FL, NM)
    * Nevada: allows two additional states (NM, MN)

There are also a few that would allow you to carry in just one extra state: ME, CT, MN, VA.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    NV and TX requires you to travel there to take a course from a state certified instructor.

I have a NV CCW

As mentioned, if you want to carry in PA, get NH

AZ will give you reciprocity with NV and NM, no travel required.

I have an AZ CCW.

The FL and UT permirs are both good. FL does not honor non resident permits so if you plan to travel there, it's the only one you can get. I have a FL and UT CCW

CT does not honor any other permits, so unless you travel there, not much use. ME is permitless carry unless you travel there and want to go to State Parks or Acadia National Park not much use either

I have a ME and CT CCW too

If you spend significant time in any reciprocal state, having their permit gives you coverage under the GFSZA and if they offer their own NR permit, good idea to get theirs. I have a VA CCW permit for that reason.

BTW MD DOESN'T TRUST ME TO CARRY.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Texas gives non residents 33 states. Yes you have to travel there to get it but it gives DE and PA . Since I am in Cecil County , Delaware is less than two miles and Pennsylvania is like 15 :)

Jano

Jul 11, 2016
    In md, even if you got charged with a marijuana seed 20 yrs ago you cant get a cc in MD. But other states will after some yrs some as low as a few yrs. The UK should really get a national carry now if not soon. Things are getting crazy over there or already is.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have UT, VA, FL, NH.

UT gives many states.

VA due to GFSZA

FL as they do not recognize any other NR permit.

NH to add PA.

I want to add NV, as that adds MN.

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    I have UT, VA, FL, NH.

UT gives many states.

VA due to GFSZA

FL as they do not recognize any other NR permit.

NH to add PA.

I want to add NV, as that adds MN.

I have all the same (and hopefully MD as well). I am going to use points to fly to MN and hand my application in in person. Crazy, I know, but since I got into handguns about a year ago I've become a collector of sorts.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you want to get coverage for MN, the NV NR permit gets you more states, and you can spend tine in Vegas instead of MN.

NV 29 states
    MN 15 states.

You have to go to the actual state to get your permit, so why not go to Vegas if you can use airline points? I know some MN sheriffs might accept outside training, and NV requires an in state class, but everything else being equal, NV seems like a better deal

I have a NV NR CCW.

just my .02

just a thought

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    If you have more than one permit you will need a system to remind yourself when one needs to renew. I hav MD, FL, UT, AZ, VA, and NH so it become a process. What do each of you use?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I look at each state that I have a permit for, (8) look at the maximum time before I can renew each, and put it on my calendar so I get a reminder as soon as the date I can renew occurs. In the case of NV, I have to fly to Vegas to get my NV renewal training, so that's important

I've renewed all of them at least once, so my system works.

USA Carry has a place to store your permit info and get reminders but I don't put PII on the net.

http://www.usacarry.com/permitreminder/

that's my system

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ideally your multiple Permits would have staggered dates, so that if you did have a brain fart, you would still have redundant Permits.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Has anybody done the research to determine which combination of state non resident carry permits comes closest to covering the entire country? I realize there are states (such as MD) that erect significant barriers to legal carry and have no intention of pursuing single state permits. I have Utah and would be willing to apply for 1 or 2 more if I could come close to full coverage.

As someone who is a MD resident w/o a MD permit you'll automatically lose a bunch of states due to some states not honoring non-resident permits (MI,PA,CO). Utah, AZ, and FL probably have the broadest coverage, and if you want to visit FL, you need their permit.

Edit: Forgot a NH permit will get you PA coverage, although the NH permit doesn't have great coverage.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    As someone who is a MD resident w/o a MD permit you'll automatically lose a bunch of states due to some states not honoring non-resident permits (MI,PA,CO). Utah, AZ, and FL probably have the broadest coverage, and if you want to visit FL, you need their permit.

Edit: Forgot a NH permit will get you PA coverage, although the NH permit doesn't have great coverage.

NH gives you 28 states. Not bad.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As mentioned the following states do not recognize any NR permits

CO, FL, MI, SC. There are a couple that recognize only certain states NR permits, like PA. PA honors NH and TX NR permits only

better than it used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom