• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    Not sure if this is the correct posting area..I apologize if it is not.

I just received my packet today from the Va State Police to get the non resident ccw permit..

I'm over in Dundalk and I called my local Baltimore County precinct and they do not do fingerprinting for this. They told me that I have to go to the MSP barracks over in Golden Ring. They only do fingerprinting on Thursdays..and no other local barracks seem to do fingerprinting after that day.

Has anyone been fingerprinted other than at a MSP or County police station for the process of the Non Res CCW permit?? Or do you know of a county precinct that would help me out. I don't want to wait an entire week if I don't have to.

Thanks...

I called another precinct and they explained it to me with greater detail. I'll go to Towson in the morning. Anyone else starting the process here is a link that may be of use for fingerprints.

http://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Agencies/police/miscfaqs.html

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    I don't think you need the fingerprints anymore...

I just got mine CCW (I live in va)

I asked about the fingerprinting and was told it's not needed anymore... your packet may have been a older one....call Va state police to be sure

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I don't think you need the fingerprints anymore...

I just got mine CCW (I live in va)

I asked about the fingerprinting and was told it's not needed anymore... your packet may have been a older one....call Va state police to be sure

That's for resident permit renewals(?) http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915.3
    § 15.2-915.3. Requiring fingerprinting for concealed handgun permit.

Notwithstanding § 15.2-915, a county or city may by ordinance require any applicant for a concealed handgun permit to submit to fingerprinting for the purpose of obtaining the applicant's state or national criminal history record; however, such ordinance shall not require fingerprinting for the renewal of an existing permit pursuant to subsection I of § 18.2-308.

. . . non-residents don't get the same breaks . . . but it is a good idea to check . . .

Lawyer56

Feb 10, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    CJIS, 6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 102, Baltimore, MD 21215. 410-764-4501. (West side of Reisterstown Road Plaza Mall (just down the road from MSP Headquarters)). M, T, W, F: 8:30 am to 5:00 p.m; Thursday: 8:30 am to 6:30 pm; 1st and 3rd Saturdays: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Expect to wait 1 hour after signing in. $20.00 fee (money order or credit card). Have proper identification (MD driver's license). Good luck!

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    I'm looking for a notary now...

Check with you local UPS Store - when I did my VA non-resident app about 2 weeks ago I used them.
    I also had them do my Collectors letter and they charged me $8 to do both.

And even though on another thread someone seemed to think that VA would accept a personal check for the fee - I didn't want to take any chances on delaying it - so I decided to go ahead and send a Money Order - the Post Office is the perfect place to get it.
    It was really cheap (under $2)
    I had everything ready, so I could just fill out the MO, drop it in the envelope and mail it right then and there.

Good Luck!

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I just went here and got it done:

http://www.fyifingerprints.com/index.htm

Real nice people...by the Howard County court house...

I'm looking for a notary now...

Some banks and credit unions will notarize documents for account holders. Navy Federal in Rockville had someone who notarized my VA CCW renewal application. :) She didn't even blink an eye . .. for a second I thought I was back in VA.

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    I went to a place called EZ Parcel right up the street from my house...I hit CVS on the way back home...I have my passport photos....got the money order..

All I need to do is make a copy of my DD214 and my drivers license and I'm good to go. :party29:

I really appreciate all of your input.

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    I got my non-resident CCW from Florida which requires fingerprints and also requires that they be done by a law enforcement organization. In my case I went to an Anne Arundel County Police station. Fast, easy, and inexpensive ($5). Their locations & schedules below:

http://www.aacounty.org/Police/FingerPrints.cfm

Va does not require it to be an actual Law Enforcement office/r to print you. As long as the person/business has a valid CJIS number when they call and verify, you're good to go. The print card must be signed by the individual and accompanied by a telephone number. I spoke to them (Va State Police) personally to verify the information so their wasn't any confusion..thanks for the input Ray.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    I live in Essex and went to the MSP.. twice, cause the first time failed the FBI because it wasnt clear enough. Im about to go back again for prints for my C&R

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Va does not require it to be an actual Law Enforcement office/r to print you. As long as the person/business has a valid CJIS number when they call and verify, you're good to go. The print card must be signed by the individual and accompanied by a telephone number. I spoke to them (Va State Police) personally to verify the information so their wasn't any confusion..thanks for the input Ray.

Agreed. But by my count non-resident VA CCW is recognized by 25 states (including VA in that count but ironically excluding FL for non-residents) whereas the non-resident FL CCW is recognized by 31 states. I travel to FL a lot so being able to carry there is important to me. Of course if you don't care about those 6 extra states then the issue is moot.

VA reciprocity list: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm
    FL reciprocity list: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

As I recall Utah and Florida currently lead in the most number of states for non-resident recognition.

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    WoW..that is a lot more states... I pretty much stay local any way...but I'll keep that in mind if I do have a trip coming up.

Is there a law stating you can/cannot have more then one ccw permit from different states??

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Is there a law stating you can/cannot have more then one ccw permit from different states??

No. While I have only one (FL) and that's good enough for me, I know of others who have multiple permits. It's mostly just a matter of cost and inconvenience getting multiples.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I got my VA non res permit towards the end of last year.
    Towson police station did the finger printing. They do this 2 days a week. You can call to find out as I can't remember for certain what days it was.
    I also used a personal check to pay with no problems.
    Be sure the officer taking the prints puts his phone number on the card.:)

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    You can get your prints done for a carrying permit in Ellicott City by Hoco Police?!?!?!

I don't think he did, he went to a private fingerprinting business. However, I did just what you said without a problem about 2 months ago. I've had nothing but good experiences w/ Hoco police in 15 yrs of living in Columbia. Except for that one time I went streaking...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No. While I have only one (FL) and that's good enough for me, I know of others who have multiple permits. It's mostly just a matter of cost and inconvenience getting multiples.

I have multiple non resident permits from VA,UT,FL, and NV. I had to get NV so I could carry when I visit friends there. Sometimes reciprocity agreements change so having more than one helps.ie NM dropped UT reciprocity recently.

To get NV you must take a class in NV from a certified instructor and it includes live fire

BillH

Exalted Grand Poo-bah
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2009
    Ellicott City, MD
    Fingerprinting in Glen Burnie-S. Balt Area

I once used these guys after a MD State Police fingerprint guy in Laurel screwed up my fingerprint card and I had to get another card done for my supressor purchase. They are quick and use a computer based, ink-less system. They guarantee their work. They're a little more pricy than some but their quality is excellent.:thumbsup:

http://www.marylandfingerprinting.com/

- Bill H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom