Nonresident CHP as resident - still valid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Apparently yes. I find it odd that VSP wouldn't just tell me to go get a resident permit, but they are just going to issue me a change of address card reflecting my VA address. :rolleyes:

In theory, I suppose it's OK, but a resident permit is better obviously. Who here has applied for a resident CHP when they still had an active nonresident permit?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I dunno. WI honors the VA NR permit but not the resident permit, because the resident permit does not do a NICS check. (They use a VSP database.) Why is a resident permit better if you have the COA card with it?

The permit is just as valid as a resident permit. What's the issue?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Apparently yes. I find it odd that VSP wouldn't just tell me to go get a resident permit, but they are just going to issue me a change of address card reflecting my VA address. :rolleyes:

In theory, I suppose it's OK, but a resident permit is better obviously. Who here has applied for a resident CHP when they still had an active nonresident permit?
    I disagree with a resident permit being better. I think you have the best of both worlds. It is a resident permit when you need it to be. It is non resident permit when that works better. IMO you have the best reciprocity. IANAL

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That's my take on it. What do you gain by having a resident permit (A flimsy piece of paper BTW) vs the NR permit with a COA card? (Laminated but pretty bad job)

I am just guessing, but to most LEO's in VA, a permit is a permit.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    That's my take on it. What do you gain by having a resident permit (A flimsy piece of paper BTW) vs the NR permit with a COA card? (Laminated but pretty bad job)

I am just guessing, but to most LEO's in VA, a permit is a permit.
    And out of state he picks up places like Florida as a resident and picks up WI as a non resident. I would strongly suggest anyone moving into VA get the non resident card just before the move, then do the address change.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    It's still an out of state permit, no? So I don't get Fl and others? Or is it because I'm a resident, it would be treated as a resident permit in other states? Maybe I'm just getting hung up on the language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    It's still an out of state permit, no? So I don't get Fl and others? Or is it because I'm a resident, it would be treated as a resident permit in other states? Maybe I'm just getting hung up on the language.

I believe you are covered both ways but then again I'm not a lawyer. I certainly can't see how someone in Florida would say you're not a resident when you have an address change card that says you are.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    To put it another way you have a state agency who issued you a state license who now acknowledged you are a state resident via their own issued address change card.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    To put it another way you have a state agency who issued you a state license who now acknowledged you are a state resident via their own issued address change card.

What you said is logical and it should work that way but I can see a South Carolina cop not recognizing the license because it says Non-resident across the top. Simply covering his/her own rear end would be his/her logic. After all SC and FL only recognize resident permits per state law not policy. That means there's less wiggle room for a cop to work with.

Getting a VA resident permit is relatively quick and easy as long as you're a resident and not a prohibited person. Get the resident permit and keep the NR permit if you think you might travel to WI.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    What you said is logical and it should work that way but I can see a South Carolina cop not recognizing the license because it says Non-resident across the top. Simply covering his/her own rear end would be his/her logic. After all SC and FL only recognize resident permits per state law not policy. That means there's less wiggle room for a cop to work with.

Getting a VA resident permit is relatively quick and easy as long as you're a resident and not a prohibited person. Get the resident permit and keep the NR permit if you think you might travel to WI.

From http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx

"Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence may carry concealed firearms in South Carolina, but must abide by the restrictions in the South Carolina CWP law."

To my eye, this suggests that I'm legal in SC. As I hold a permit issued by my state of residence.

Edit: I'll still probably get the resident permit, I just thought this thread might help others as I found nothing else online addressing the topic.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA

Yep, I did the same thing and had no problem. Mine was that way for about a year as we stayed with my in-laws (in VA) while our house was taking entirely too long to be built (also in VA). I changed mine over once we moved in to our house and before my Utah permit was up for renewal.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    From http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx

"Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence may carry concealed firearms in South Carolina, but must abide by the restrictions in the South Carolina CWP law."

To my eye, this suggests that I'm legal in SC. As I hold a permit issued by my state of residence.

Edit: I'll still probably get the resident permit, I just thought this thread might help others as I found nothing else online addressing the topic.

Bingo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom