• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    NRA Advance Defensive Pistol
    (NRA PPOTH Instructor Rating & Pre-Qulaification Required)

The module’s outline and lesson plan is written in a manner that allows maximum flexibility to foster mentorship between the students and the instructors. The goal is for instructors to guide students through this advanced training to the point at which the students have accomplished each objective and have become qualified to receive a course completion certificate.​

Frederick Chapter #1 of the IWLA, Inc.
    Friday, April 4 6:30 p.m. – 10 p.m.
    Saturday April 5 8 a.m. – Finish

(must have PPOTH Instructor and qualify)

2014 Training Schedule:
    http://www.frederickiwla.org/uploads/Training.pdf

Course Registration:
    http://kelkye.com/Registration-Forms/IWLA 2014 Registration Form.pdf

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I did not realize that the PPOTH Instructor rating is required to take the Advanced Defensive Pistol class.

How much is the class?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The class is $150.

I dont think PPOTH Instructor is rerquried by the NRA, I will assume that it it is the preference of the instructor. I'll verify and report back. As you know, there are only a handful of NRA instructors authorized to teach this class.

AFAIK, this class has only been offered in this area once, last year. In that class, many of the participants required a lot of remedial work, which detracted from other's learning and practice. One participant dropped their gun, another swept the class with an unloaded firearm, etc. The PPOTH Instructor prerequisite may just be a tool to ensure that doesnt happen again.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I can understand!

Being an instructor, I have had many candidates (for both regualr classes and instructor classes) needing remedial help.

The instructor can impose whatever criteria he/she wants to insure that the attendees are qualified to attend and have a reasonable chance at passing the course.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    This class is going to run, this Friday/Saturday, regardless of if the number of registrants can be counted on one hand.

I will be part of the training team.

To sign up email Ben at Kelkye.com, or visit his website.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Great class, and I highly recommend anyone wishing to obtain their Wear/ Carry permit to attend. Those who already carry, can always use some other educational pointers and this class maybe just what you need to obtain the "Continuing Education Credits". You can always learn from what you see other people do. Especially the mistakes. The OP mentioned the guy who dropped his gun and the other guy who swept everyone (with an unloaded gun).

What I learned from the guy who dropped the gun: he was trying to catch it mid-air. Bad move in my opinion. If you lose the gun, let it go. To try and catch it, leads to the possibility that when you do snatch it from mid-air, you may inadvertently catch it in a fashion you pull the trigger and um, the results could be fatal. The shooters "BAD" for dropping it, suffer the damage to the gun, repair it and move on. Can't say that about catching it and blowing yer knee out (or worse), cause that "BAD" can't be repaired as easily.

They guy who swept everyone: I think if everyone attached a laser sight their gun for an hour, they'd be amazed at what they do sweep, when not thinking about it.

Had it not been for late notice on this course, I probably would have repeated it simply because I learn from others. If you can make it, you will not be disappointed, well, maybe, cuz the coffee really does suck!!!

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The class just began. We have a instructor to student ratio of 2.5 to 1, and most of the Instructors are not only NRA instructors, but NRA Training Counselors, as well.

The training team at IWLA is phenomenal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom