• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This was discussed at The High Road.

I got the DVD a couple months ago (a home defense training disk I haven't watched yet). Included was a LOT of packaging andletters and return envelopes... typical NRA junk mail, but more so. Anyway, they invite you to pay for the DVD, and ask you to return it in the prepaid envelope if you don't want it.

A month or so later, maybe a month ago, I got some kind of follow up junk mail asking me to pay for the DVD. I just glanced at if briefly on its way to the trash.

Other people at THR report ongoing harrassment. I'm waiting to see what happens.

This is amazing stupidity, even for the NRA. There is no way this can go well for them, or us. Some antis could get ahold of this, and try to push a federal mail fraud prosecution. It can't help but make for bad PR.

Here's The High Road thread:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=416392

amish

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Fredneck
    Yeah, I got their Personal Firearm Defense DVD as well along with a M1903 Rifle Series challenge coin. They asked for money or to have it sent back, but I knew from a previous thread on here (too lazy to search for it right now) that since it was an unsolicited mailing, I didn't have to do anything about it.

I've gotten probably 2 notices since originally receiving it asking for money or to have it sent back. However neither of those notices could be confused as a bill or invoice, at least not the ones I got.

Also to reduce some of the 'junk mail', this is from their FAQ:

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
    A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

After I joined, I got a ton of junk, but then it magically died down w/o any involvement. If it picks up again I'll email them.

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    I just received a DVD which immediately went to the shredder along with all the other ******** that the NRA sends out

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    You never, ever have to pay for anything that someone sends you, unrequested.

Nor is it ever necessary to return it. That's part of the "guilt" game they use on you.

You know those nickels that charities mail out, to entice you into making a donation? I keep every last one, cuz I'm a cheap miserly bastard. I have a 10" high stack of complimentary return address labels, too. :D

Lawyer56

Feb 10, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    § 14-1304. Unsolicited sending of merchandise.

(a) Offer which includes unsolicited sending of merchandise.-

(1) A person may not offer any merchandise for sale in any manner or by any means if the offer includes the voluntary and unsolicited sending of merchandise not actually ordered or requested by the recipient orally or in writing.

(2) If a person receives any merchandise offered for sale in violation of this subsection, it is an unconditional gift to him for all purposes. He may use or dispose of the merchandise in any manner without any obligation on his part to the sender.

(b) Unordered merchandise sent after termination of membership.-

(1) If a member of an organization making retail sales of merchandise to its members notifies the organization by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, of his termination of membership, any unordered merchandise sent to the member after 30 days following execution of the return receipt by the organization is an unconditional gift to him for all purposes. He may use or dispose of the merchandise in any manner without any obligation on his part to the organization.

(2) This subsection does not relieve a person from liability for damages to which he might otherwise be subject if his termination of membership breaches any agreement with the organization. However, he may not be subject to any damages with respect to the merchandise considered under this subsection to be an unconditional gift to him.

(c) Injunction.- After the receipt of any merchandise considered to be an unconditional gift under this section, if the sender continues to send any bill, statement of account, or request for payment with respect to the merchandise, the recipient may bring an action to enjoin the sender's conduct. In that action, the court may award reasonable attorney's fees and costs to the prevailing party.

[An. Code 1957, art. 83, § 21A; 1975, ch. 49, § 3; 1978, ch. 673, § 2.]

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Trains magazine did the same thing a couple years ago. They send DVD's out and included bills. If they didn't get paid within two weeks, they sent another bill.
    I got one, and my daughter got one (she is into trains too). I kept one for us to watch and took the other one, destoyed it by scratching the hell out of it, and sent it back and told them I did not order it and will not pay for it or the other one they 'sent me as a gift'. Never heard another word about that. The talk of the fiasco was all over the railfan community.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    You are under no obligation to pay, or even return the DVD. There's a disclaimer saying so in the fine print of the forms that come with them. I've gotten one since becoming a NRA member.

If you do not return the DVD, they will send 3 or 4 more letters asking for a return of the DVD or payment. Once again, you're not obligated to do anything.

They aren't bad DVDs at all, honestly. They're PDN videos hosted by Rob Pincus. I've seen three of them so far. Myself and a few other friends with memberships would pass them around to one another, lol.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    You are under no obligation to pay, or even return the DVD. There's a disclaimer saying so in the fine print of the forms that come with them. I've gotten one since becoming a NRA member.

If you do not return the DVD, they will send 3 or 4 more letters asking for a return of the DVD or payment. Once again, you're not obligated to do anything.

They aren't bad DVDs at all, honestly. They're PDN videos hosted by Rob Pincus. I've seen three of them so far. Myself and a few other friends with memberships would pass them around to one another, lol.

I guess Life members don't get any DVD's .... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom