• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • somdboy

somdboy
    Apr 18, 2009
    Today I had the basic pistol course with Ken, It was definaly worth it and much more! We went ahead and sped throught the nra pistol course and then we started doing some fun stuff. Ken is a good guy and a fantastic teacher; whether your a newb or fairly familiar with guns, like me. Anyone would have a good time with Ken in this course. Thanks ken! :thumbsup:

DapMan

Mar 25, 2009
    NRA Basic Pistol & IDPA Intro -- 4 thumbs up!

My wife and I met Ken at Sanner's Lake to participate in the NRA Basic Pistol training course. Our previous experience included a lot of reading, internet research, NRA membership, and several hundred rounds each through our firearms.

Ken went through every part of the course syllabus, tailoring each aspect to our particular experience, need, and skill level. Our questions were numerous, and Ken had a thorough, common-sense answer to every one. When it came time to send some rounds downrange, he carefully analyzed and critiqued our technique, offering great personalized feedback. He also provided practical practice tips.

My wife was somewhat self-conscious about the training, but Ken's easy-going, charismatic style put us all at ease and removed all the pressure frequently present in the student-teacher relationship. He made things fun! At one point, I got lucky and knocked the bullseye out of the target. Ken immediately called for a cease-fire. At first I thought I must have violated a safety rule. Instead, he wanted to snap a photo of me with my bullseye shot...nice!

After the NRA Pistol Course concluded, Ken treated us to an introduction into IDPA-style shooting. I wasn't sure if it would really appeal to us, but I have to say that it entails some extremely practical personal defense techniques, and is a heck of a lot more fun than target shooting. This is something we'll have to explore in more depth.

So...my wife and I give Ken and his NRA Basic Pistol / IDPA course 4 thumbs up!

crash06

Jun 1, 2009
    I'm in Parkville and would like to have my son and daughter take a basic training course. Anyone near this location?

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I took the NRA Basic Pistol Course with Ken today. If you are thinking about taking this course and haven't done it yet? Take Ken up on his offer to teach you this course, if you do? Trust me when I say this; you will not be dissapointed!

I have taken a few courses (not firearms training though) during my lifetime related to training for my job. I have seen a very few Instructors who not only enjoy what they teach, but also know their subject matter very well.

Ken is one of these Instructors. If you want to have someone who can teach you so you can learn without the fear of being intimidated. And if you need someone who can show you how to better improve your shooting skills with a hands on approach? Call Ken.

I took the course with Ken today, and enjoyed myself so much I can't find the words to describe the feeling of it all. Ken, all I can say is Thank You very much. You are indeed a rare Instructor/Teacher.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

leekl03

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Mary's County
    Ken is a really good teacher/instructor. I've been around fire arms since I was a kid. Never really shot hand guns much. All I have to say is keep up the good work. I really appreciate the one on one teaching. After the NRA course he showed me some of the IDPA format. That was really cool and loads of fun. I would highly recommend this course to any one.

Last edited:

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    If anyone in this area ever wants to or is thinking about taking a NRA Handgun Course, I will honestly say taking this Course is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Proper handling oy your handgun on and off the Range may save your, or someone you love's life.

Ken has a personable approach to this course never forgetting why the student is there. Honestly it doesn't matter how good or how bad a person is, Ken has this Instructing ability to adapt to each of his Students needs. Something else I found out while taking this Course with Ken I'm sure most don't know. Ken does this because of his love for teaching people about Safely handling and shooting their Handguns. And he charges quite a bit less to his Students than others do, the money he collects goes to the accessories and books he needs to properly teach his class. I'm quite sure he makes absolutely no money teaching you the proper way to handle and shoot your weapon. What better dedication is this?

Looking back on my own experience, I took a NRA Rifle Course years ago at a boys Camp. As time progressed naturally you get a little better with each year. Something that I now remember is with each new year, we usually got a different instructor. After listening to and watching our Instructors I found naturally some were better than others, it's just the way it is. I'm sure you can remember Teachers in School that could get their point across and make learning fun. But as we all know, these teachers are actually few and far between.

I honestly believe anyone can learn from Ken because of the way he not only explains different questions, but he does have a ton of experience that he won't bring out to tell you how good he really is. Ken makes sure the student learns, he already knows his subject and he has this certain way of calmly explaining what a shooter does well, and how they can improve when they need it.

As a Student, I appreciated his laid back approach and suggestions. Ken is one of, if not the best Teacher/Instructors I have had the pleasure to learn from. So, no matter the level of experience you or someone you know has, I'm sure Ken can teach you/them something.

I know I have written several times about taking this Course, and anyone reading this may be correct in thinking I'm some kind of a nut? But I will explain it by saying this is the most fun I have had for that many hours in one day! What else can a person say when they have fun and learn at the same time?

Thanks for reading.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    I want to thank everyone that has come out to shoot with me. I really appreciate all the kind words and I'm glad everyone that has made it out enjoyed themselves. I can't ask for a better group of people to meet, shoot with, and become friends with.

Once things slow up a little, I plan on getting together with everyone again for some additional shooting. Shooting is important to me and, well, I'll leave it at that.

Respectfully,
    Ken

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I took the family out this morning for the NRA Basic Pistol course with Ken. I want to add my compliments to him and how he conducts his course. He is a wonderful teacher. He adapts the course to the needs of the student, while also making sure that all the required basics are covered. He is extremely patient, very much a 'there are no dumb questions' kind of person, and a just plain good guy you would be delighted to go shooting with and to spend time with. They just don't come any better or nicer than Ken.

Ken, thank you for a terrific morning. We all learned a lot, each of us learned what we needed to learn at this point, and we had a great time learning.

I look forward to the next opportunity at the range!

Big Fatty

Mar 15, 2009
    Southern Md.
    Let me start off by saying a few things before I thank the hell out of Ken.

A little over three years ago my wife and I were in a discussion about whether or not to have a kid or buy a house. We decided kid first then house. A year later we bought our home. It was at this moment I felt the greatest need to protect my family and home. My wife and I have been together over 10 years, married for 5 years. We have a three year old girl and are planning another addition.
    I have always enjoyed shooting. I am prior military and now work as a security officer. I have never owned a gun though until recently. My wife up until this past Sunday has been dead-set against guns. She had never seen one up close, let alone hold one or fire a gun.
    I guess I wore her down enough and we agreed to buy a pistol for home defense and for me to practice shooting for my job. In March I bought a 9mm. Over the next few months, I got my wife to actually hold the gun and dry fire. I went over safety, parts/mechanics of the gun, our home defense plan, and everything I could think of. She learned enthusiastically but VERY apprehensively. She was still scared of the gun and nervous to fire it.
    I told her I would get us into a professional basic pistol course. A friend directed me to this forum and I found Ken.
    Ken teaches the NRA Basic Pistol Course. My wife was all for this so I worked with Ken on getting us signed up.
    This past Sunday we attended Ken's course. It was my first time firing my new pistol and my wife's first time shooting. Now my wife and I are kinda quiet and take some time to warm up. Ken handled us perfectly. He knew how to read my wife's needs and she loved him for it. She thought he was fantastic as a teacher. Ken never made her feel like an idiot. Ken instructed with care but did not string out a needlessly boring course. He gave us what was required, needed, and asked for. And he let me shoot his 44 revolver! lol
    My wife ended up shooting spectacular. I will let Ken attest to this. She shot better than I did. Which is not saying much because I am no sharpshooter, but for a first-timer it was awesome.
    I highly recommend Ken for fellas that need help getting family members oriented to guns. He knows his stuff. Presents it very well. Ken is a pro.
    On our way home from Sanners Lake, my wife says to me, "When we going shooting again hon?"
    Need I say more? :)
    Thank you Ken!

Attachments

• 0712091022 (2).jpg
      0712091022 (2).jpg
      87.4 KB · Views: 357
    • cp1_0712090919a (2).jpg
      cp1_0712090919a (2).jpg
      89.3 KB · Views: 353

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    I have seen some amazing shooting the previous two weekends. I mean this shooting has inspired me. We typically shoot at a 6" target at 45' supported, standing two-handed, and standing one-handed during the course. To qualify for the NRA basic rocker a student must shoot a 9" 5-shot group at 15'. So right at the start I'm setting a higher standard.

July 4th weekend had OldSaltyDog and his family shooting with me. Great people and excellent shooters. His daughter was above and beyond and was just an amazing shot. If I remember right all of her groups from all of the positions were no more than 2". Her smallest group was 3/4" standing two-handed. She did this with a XDM in 9mm. Good thing we weren't near a gun store, I wanted to buy her a pistol of her own. I was in awe of the best shooting I had seen yet.

Then just this past weekend I went shooting with Big Fatty and his wife. Both great people and excellent shots. His wife is definitely a shooter just like OldSaltyDog's daughter. About 2" groups or better except for standing one-handed. First 3-shot group was about 1". She took a break, picked up the pistol for another 3-shot one-handed group of 1/2". Yep, one-handed standing and she stacked them all together about 3/4" at 5 O'clock from dead center. Pistol was a Sig 226, 9mm. Amazing.

So I'm going to take my own advice and spend more time dry-firing because I want to consistently shoot like that.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    If you are shooting for the first time, or just need a refresher course. kbuddy teachs this course in such a way it's very easy to learn for anyone. Ken is not only an Insturctor, but he's also a Teacher who can bring out the best in anyone willing to learn.

He has a heartfelt love of the sport of shooting definitely comes across while you are on the Range with him. Personally I believe you will see improvment in your shooting even if you have used a handgun before. And if your out for the first time with a new handgun, when you leave that day; you will be shooting better than you even thought possible. Ken just has this way to communicate with the shooter that is low key and non-agressive, so the shooter isn't intimidated by him. This will bring out the best in the student so they can pick up the fine details much faster, which will make them a better and safer shooter overall.

There are other NRA Courses that cost much more than kbuddy charges. I know Ken does this because he enjoys the sport, but so much so I'm sure he makes ZERO for his time. If that isn't dedication, I don't know what someone would call it? As in any Teaching situation there are good teachers, and great teachers. Ken shows time and time again why he is one of the best. His gentle way of letting the student what they could do to shoot better is what he is really good at.

So if you need to take this course, or know someone that does? You'd be doing them a huge favor by hooking them up with Ken. ;)

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    If you are shooting for the first time, or just need a refresher course. kbuddy teachs this course in such a way it's very easy to learn for anyone. Ken is not only an Insturctor, but he's also a Teacher who can bring out the best in anyone willing to learn.

He has a heartfelt love of the sport of shooting definitely comes across while you are on the Range with him. Personally I believe you will see improvment in your shooting even if you have used a handgun before. And if your out for the first time with a new handgun, when you leave that day; you will be shooting better than you even thought possible. Ken just has this way to communicate with the shooter that is low key and non-agressive, so the shooter isn't intimidated by him. This will bring out the best in the student so they can pick up the fine details much faster, which will make them a better and safer shooter overall.

There are other NRA Courses that cost much more than kbuddy charges. I know Ken does this because he enjoys the sport, but so much so I'm sure he makes ZERO for his time. If that isn't dedication, I don't know what someone would call it? As in any Teaching situation there are good teachers, and great teachers. Ken shows time and time again why he is one of the best. His gentle way of letting the student what they could do to shoot better is what he is really good at.

So if you need to take this course, or know someone that does? You'd be doing them a huge favor by hooking them up with Ken. ;)

+1 What he said.......!

strube

Jul 5, 2009
    Baltimore
    I decided a short while ago to purchase a pistol for home defense and to take to the range even though the wife wasn't quite supportive. After talking it over we decided that taking a basic pistol class might be a good way to get everyone more acquainted. Unfortunately in the Baltimore area the courses are very expensive, especially when you consider 2 people. When getting involved with the forums I heard about Ken and after talking with him I decided it was the way to go even with the 2 hour drive each way to Southern MD.

I have to agree with everything that was said on this thread and overall on the forums about Ken. He was very patient, informative and a great instructor. He definitely made my wife and I feel at ease and even got her excited about shooting. I guess it didn't hurt that she's a natural (better then me for sure). On the way home all we did was talk about shooting and when/how often we can go again.

So here's a big THANKS to Ken for converting my wife and bringing balance and a new activity to the household.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Classes stopped for now

I want to apologize to anyone I have not replied to, it's been a very busy year. The wife and I had twin boys and they take up 98% of my time. The other 2% is split between getting work done around the house and teaching people to get rounds on target.

For those not familiar, I offered the NRA Basic Pistol course and a few blocks of instruction on using rifle iron sights, the AR, M1's, action pistol, reloading, and whatever else I was knowledgable in. Cost usually varied from free to the cost of the course materials and ammo. I do shoot precision rifle when I can but I'm nowhere near proficient enough to instruct. I'll leave that to the pros like Mr. Shell from CVT.

I can no longer offer full classes on a regular basis at this time. I'm going to finish up the shooters I already have waiting and take a much needed break and hopefully work on my precision rifle skills. The amount of requests for instruction have been overwhelming and I just can't keep up right now. For your pistol training I suggest you read the reviews of the other instructors on the forum and pick one you think suits your needs. Contact them to discuss your goals & expectations. For your rifle training I suggest Mr. Ed Shell from CVT (look under industry partners). Ed's a great guy, very skilled, and will get you on target. I know his main focus is on scoped precision rifles but he may help you with your non-scoped rifle work. I can't say enough good things about Ed. Just a great guy and an excellent rifleman.

I hope to offer small blocks of instruction starting the end of this month on varying topics as time will allow, but I just can't commit to a schedule anymore. I still want to help folks out but it's going to have to be when I can as opposed to a dedicated schedule. Hope this all makes sense, I'm not use to posting so much at one time.

Please feel free to PM, email, or call if you have any questions.
    Respectfully,
    --Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom