• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    The NRA range at NRA HQ on Waples Mill Road in Fairfax, Virginia will be closed from September 26 to October 31 for repairs, the classrooms and office and store will remain open, merchandise sales and classroom instruction will continue, but there will be no shooting during that period. The end date is tentative so I suspect they will reopen when they are done doing whatever they are doing.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    the museum is on the 1st floor. still open.

range in the basement

Actually, the NRA range is around the back (left) side of the museum. Follow the yellow arrows in the satellite image below. Limited parking in the parking ramp lower area just outside the door to the range, but plenty of parking outside, as seen below.

NRA range view.JPG

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    to get fgrom the lower parking garage to the museum you have to follow a flight of stairs upwards one floor. done it many times.

that's why I said 1st floor. the NRA building is built on an incline

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    They are repairing the backstop at a cost of 10's of thousands.

Too many people snuck AP ammo in there and ruined the thing.

Not sure if it was hyperbole but a RSO told me they were going to institute stiff fines for those caught in the future.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    here comes the magnet

Bimetal jacket is fine, steel core is not.

Even non-bimetal 5.56 will throw sparks and leave small pock marks in the backstop just due to the velocity. I've been up to the backstop many times and it is quite full of pock marks.

SonOfSpartans

Jun 7, 2013
    Could have been intentional abuse. Could also be ignorance and lax enforcement. Shoo many shooters just don't know. They buy on price

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    the NRA put up signs at the entrance to the range. So people can't read?

it's selfishness or illiteracy

either one is bad..

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Bimetal jacket is fine, steel core is not.

Even non-bimetal 5.56 will throw sparks and leave small pock marks in the backstop just due to the velocity. I've been up to the backstop many times and it is quite full of pock marks.

Correct. Bi metal is good to go. I have an email from Debbie Crews (Mgr there) confirming.

I always let the desk and RSO know I'm shooting wolf or red army bi metal so they don't freak when the light show starts.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Thinking of going tonight around 7. I've only ever been in the mornings. Anyone know how busy they are at night?

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    So Tula is bi-metal yes?

I heard they were going to do this work last May and put it off until now. I've only shot brass there before.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yes. Importation of AP rounds was banned years ago, so all those russian rounds are bi-metal.

Importation of steel core "handgun" rounds that is. There's still plenty of rifle ammo being imported available commercially with varying amounts of steel in the core, mainly M855 and most surplus 7.62x54R. The steel core 7N6 5.45 was only banned from importation about two and a half years ago, but it seemed to have been available commercially until recently.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Took a trip to the museum down there. Kinda surprised how small it was. Especially the shop. Nice collection however but the steampunk collection was puzzling. I didn't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom