Number of W&C permits issued has doubled.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Those are the words of one of our legislators, not mine. I asked for a source for the numbers and the subject quickly changed. I asked directly why the governor won't change good and substantial. They believe if that happened a new law would be written next session to make things even more restrictive. It was also mentioned that we need 5 more in the house to make it over-ride proof.

Something else was mentioned that I was unaware of. Apparently a governor's veto cannot be overturned in his 4th year of office.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Doesn't mean it is true. They are politicians, after all, and facts are not part of their profession. Was it told to you in-confidence?

Maybe here?
    http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/43const/html/02art2.html#sec17
    17 (d) [...] No such vetoed Bill shall be returned to the Legislature when a new General Assembly of Maryland has been elected and sworn since the passage of the vetoed Bill.

The way I read that, it's the legislature's term, not the governor's.

Got that link from here:
    http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/07leg/html/proc.html#vetoed

So I sourced it for you. :)

Doesn't matter anyway since they can just pass the same text again as a new bill.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Late session vetos have to wait until the next session, too. That may be what the delegate was referring to. Either way, they can always call a special session. Nothing in MD is fool proof. Emphasis on the "fool".

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Late session vetos have to wait until the next session, too. That may be what the delegate was referring to. Either way, they can always call a special session. Nothing in MD is fool proof. Emphasis on the "fool".

No, he clearly mentioned 4th year of a term could not be over turned. He claimed it was in the MD Constitution.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    So your source was wrong. Has nothing to do with the governor's term. It's the Legislature's term. Generally same cycle, but still not the governor's term.

Also if they submit a bill to him prior to 6 days before the end of the session, he has to veto it before the end of the session, in which case they can still override during the session even if it's his fourth year. Your source was just plain wrong. And they are one of the legislators who run the state. Why am I not surprised?

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    So your source was wrong. Has nothing to do with the Governor's term. It's the Legislature's term.

Also if they submit a bill to him prior to 6 days before the end of the session, he has to veto it before the end of the session, in which case they can still override during the session even if it's his fourth year. Your source was just plain wrong. And they are on of the legislators who run the state. Why am I not surprised?

One and the same. they are on the same cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom