• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Can anyone from experience recommend an inexpensive night vision scope that would hold up to the recoil of a break barrel 22 cal air rifle?
    I’ve only Used scopes that came as a package with air rifles but have heard they can damage a regular rifle scope due to the recoil.

Mine is not a springer but gas break barrel if that helps. I never noticed a “reverse recoil” effect shooting it like I have with some springer.
    Thanks

Sep 28, 2023
    Darnestown, MD
    Can anyone from experience recommend an inexpensive night vision scope that would hold up to the recoil of a break barrel 22 cal air rifle?
    I’ve only Used scopes that came as a package with air rifles but have heard they can damage a regular rifle scope due to the recoil.

Mine is not a springer but gas break barrel if that helps. I never noticed a “reverse recoil” effect shooting it like I have with some springer.
    Thanks
    Cobra;

I have mounted two.
    But always using a ZR mount, or some sort of "scope floating" device.
    If you have the time, read these two:

https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/hectors-airgun-blog/nightvision-riflescope-for-springers

https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/hectors-airgun-blog/the-nacht-jager-or-the-night-hunter

Since both these have been discontinued, I would suggest getting a NV attachment like this one:

Amazon product ASIN B09NRHF1JS
    for a small and robust 4-6X scope and attach it to your rifle using a ZR Mount.
    Since the eye relief for the scope gets dramatically changed with the addition of the device, I would make this assembly a dedicated set piece and keep a better scope sighted in for daytime use. At least initially.
    If you find that you like the day/night setting, then by all means make it the only aiming device for your airgun.

Of course, always follow the law. It will enhance your capabilities for night pesting and the ability to record everything may come in handy if someone decides to get the authorities involved you can then demonstrate what you were doing.

The use of the ZR mount is mandatory not because of the double recoil, that has been overcome for ages, but because of the vibrations that a piston gun imparts to the shooting system. Gas springs vibrate less than metal springs, but they DO make EVERYTHING else vibrate like crazy because at their lower efficiency point, there is more energy to create vibrations.

HTH, keep us posted!

HM

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Heckler nice articles
    I was never aware of the clip on nv scope options nor a shock absorbing mount.
    How do you feel about Pard brand scopes. They seem to have decent inexpensive options.

To be clear I will not be shooting more then 20-25 yards for rat control after sun down.
    Granted there are other means of pest elimination but 22 air rifle so far has been very effective right after sundown

Sep 28, 2023
    Darnestown, MD
    Heckler nice articles
    I was never aware of the clip on nv scope options nor a shock absorbing mount.
    How do you feel about Pard brand scopes. They seem to have decent inexpensive options.

To be clear I will not be shooting more then 20-25 yards for rat control after sun down.
    Granted there are other means of pest elimination but 22 air rifle so far has been very effective right after sundown
    Hello Cobra;

Thanks for reading! And thanks for your kind words.

Wasn't aware of the Pard brand, they have some really great things at some very reasonable prices, THANKS for the idea!

If you are not shooting farther away than 20-25 yards, almost anything would be overkill.

Short range pesting can be accomplished well by just being patient and getting your quarry used to some specific "changes".

For example: SOME rats are less sensitive to red light than others. Some are less sensitive to green light than others. You need to find out which type you have and use a low intensity light in the area you need. Do not shoot for a few days and get them used to it.
    After that you can even put some bait (peanut butter works wonders and is cheap, also doggy food -ask your local market manager for broken bags and he will be happy to sell them at a nickel for the dollar or even give them away-), and observe for a couple of nights.
    After that, you can take shots.

I've seen clowders of rats send a scout or two before they attack (alfa female first) a bait. So, if you go through all the process, allow the first rat or two (wait for the biggest one to appear) to go by and then shoot the largest one, the clowder will get disoriented and if you shoot at the two ends alternatively, you can get a dozen shots before panic sets in and they all run away.

MOST scopes with at least 40 mm's objectives and magnifications in the 1-4.5X region will "collect" enough light to allow night shooting at short ranges with a LITTLE bit of ambient light.
    Do allow your eyes at least a 15 minutes "settling" time to get your pupils as dilated as possible. If you cannot do this, use the old Pirate trick and wear a black eye patch over your shooting eye. When you uncover it, your "low light" vision will be there for you.

I'm sure you know very well the rat's anatomy, but still, perhaps you might like to read this:
    https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/hectors-airgun-blog/the-other-side-of-an-accurate-shot

Going back to the Pards; ¡Darn! now I need to save $700 to get one of their scopes, ROFL!

Again, thanks for reading and for the Pard idea.

Depending on where in MD you live, I would be willing to go and lend a hand in the setup, if you need it.

Keep well and shoot straight!

HM

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Thanks Heckter.
    For now been useing night vision binoculars to spot them.then illuminate with green light.
    They do not run from it like white light
    A few nights of green light from rifle gets me a shot

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Picked up the night vision scope shown in your Amazon link.
    For under 200 dollar night vision not much risk.
    As a hand held night vision monocular it works rather well . Let’s you see in the dark fine.take pics,videos,ect.

I just mounted on my pellet rifle useing the supplied adapters. Cross hair on nv don’t quite align with cross hairs on my rifle scope.
    What I did was adjusted to red dot pointer to impact same place the rifles scope cross hairs.
    Going to be be warm we out next few days so hope to shoot it to see how red dot aligns with scopes 0 poi.will report back.

Worse case it turns out to be ok hand held night vision monocular for use around the yard.

Sep 28, 2023
    Darnestown, MD
    Picked up the night vision scope shown in your Amazon link.
    For under 200 dollar night vision not much risk.
    As a hand held night vision monocular it works rather well . Let’s you see in the dark fine.take pics,videos,ect.

I just mounted on my pellet rifle useing the supplied adapters. Cross hair on nv don’t quite align with cross hairs on my rifle scope.
    What I did was adjusted to red dot pointer to impact same place the rifles scope cross hairs.
    Going to be be warm we out next few days so hope to shoot it to see how red dot aligns with scopes 0 poi.will report back.

Worse case it turns out to be ok hand held night vision monocular for use around the yard.
    Good!

Keep us posted.

HM

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    So shot rifle just to be sure it was stil on target. Keep in mind my goal target is around 20 yards and less for rat, ground hog killing zone.

The rifles scopes cross hairs showed up just fine looking thru night vision. Poi and poa was the same as before nv was mounted. compared to shooting without it.

After 10 shots everything remained sighted as before nv was mounted.
    The I fa red Illuminator that came with scope does’nt really have much effect as for brightening up view . Seems under powered to me but realy not needed for distance I shoot at. Could be factor for longer distances.

So far happy with results for under 200.00
    scope

Sep 28, 2023
    Darnestown, MD
    That;'s a good start!
    USUALLY, IR illuminators have a "focusing" ring somewhere.
    And usually, they are shipped out at the widest beam, so, you MAY have that, and you may not. But it is worth looking into it.

Good progress and thanks for the update.

HM

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I personally think Illuminator is just weak, not really up to the task.
    I have others that fit in same mount that work fine.
    I r Illuminator was a common complained when looking at reviews.
    However for my distance used not really needed.
    Wanted to mention Turning off cross hair function in nv scope allows you to use regular cross hairs on rifles scope fine. Like looking thru rifles scope without nv mounted.

Nv monocular just makes anything viewed thru rifle scope normal except it allows you to see in the dark
    I will try it on one of my ar’s next since it has several scope adapters
    Hth

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Thanks He tor.
    I will try to take a video of a night target shoot once I figure out the whole camera thing opposed to just using it as a scope lol

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    So over the weekend put 30 pellets thru the rifle with n v mounted. ( wanted to see how well n v stayed connected to scope useing the supplied adapters.

Scope retained 0 as expected and n v still maintaining picture quality and focus fine.
    Night visions red dot alignment with center of rifles scope cross hairs did drift of center a bit, but no big deal as I use scopes cross hairs for targeting, not red dot so turned that feature off in n v settings.

I beleive for the price of under 200 bucks. A great choice for entry level night vision for a rifle scope.
    Seems to hold up well to the recoil of a break barrel gas piston system fine.

I am not using the shock absorbing mount,
    only added the n v viewer to rear of scope using one of the supplied adapter clamps it came with.

I do not have break barrel springs gear to test it with but guessing it would work just as well.
    May buy another one for one of my center fire rifles

Hope this helps those looking into inexpensive night vision scope option not wanting to buy a hi dollar dedicated night vision scope
    Thanks

Sep 28, 2023
    Darnestown, MD
    It is fairly easy, Cobra.
    IF you have Windows 11:
    Open a new tab
    Open your file explorer
    Locate the picture you want to include
    Right click on it and then choose "Open with"
    Choose "Photos"
    A separate window will open to show you the photo in full size.
    Now, on the tab you have the forum open, click on the "Reply" button
    At the top you will find a band of icons. There is one that looks like a picture of a mountain, in my PC it is the 10th symbol.
    Click on that. It will open a dialog box that says : "Drop image"
    Now right click on the photo you want to include that is open in the "Photos" window and "drag" (that means holding the left click button DOWN while moving the cursor to the spot where the dialog window of the forum was opened.
    "Drop" the picture there, and it should appear directly, like this one:
    DSC04027 - Copy.JPG
    Hope this helps!

HM

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads