• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amsmlmssml

Feb 2, 2012
    Northern Frederick County
    Anyone use this stuff? I saw it advertised in some catalog. I believe Herters sells it. Apparently used in place of copper to jacket bullet. Price is fairly cheap. Be nice to use for plinking. I was wondering if it would eventually buildup in rifling.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Anyone use this stuff? I saw it advertised in some catalog. I believe Herters sells it. Apparently used in place of copper to jacket bullet. Price is fairly cheap. Be nice to use for plinking. I was wondering if it would eventually buildup in rifling.

just saw that.. it was cabelas catalog.. im curious myself.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I think that it "could" build up just like plastic in shotgun sabot rounds. however if they are using a good self lubricating plastic it may not leave behind any more than the copper jacketing does..

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Hmm, Blazer is an ATK brand, right? Federal is also an ATK brand. Seems like Cabela's and ATK decided to join forces.

In the past I did carry the Nyclad 125 semi-wadcutter HP in my Colt Agent. Back when it was first out it was considered a good load.

BTW, who here remembers when S&W made the Nyclad ammo? Yep, S&W used to make ammo, for a short period of time.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Federal Nyclad was actually available again for 38 Special a few years ago and maybe even today still in "over runs" that places like MidwayUSA, Sgammo, etc. get from time to time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    S%W ammunition developed the process , and used it for a full line of ammo. Good stuff , and with further tweeking could have been excellent. In addition to good performane, it was ahead if its time for airborn lead control.

When S%W left the ammo business , Federal bought the rights. But alas at the time Federal as developing and heavilly promoting their HydraShock line of ammo , and they saw the NyClads as potentially cutting into their own sales of HydraShocks. They only produced the "Chief Spl" loading which had a cult following of its own , but never adversited or promoted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom