• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    A gun show where you can't take delivery of a gun. :facepalm: Is that what it has come to in MD?

A multi-faceted special event proposed for this September to potentially help offset the unsanctioned pop-up event continues to move forward, but there are issues to resolve with the proposed gun show element.

The Tourism Commission this week got an update on the proposed Ocean City Adventure Fest proposed for the week of Sept. 19-25 this fall, which would overlap with the often-troublesome unsanctioned pop-up event. In October, promoter Cliff Sutherland, who has produced motorcycle events in Ocean City and his native West Virginia in the past, pitched to the Mayor and Council the conceptual plans for the series of special events during that week in conjunction with the Hogs and Heroes Foundation, which supports public safety and military organizations.

Tourism and Business Development Director Tom Perlozzo and Convention Center Director Larry Noccolino have been working with the promoter to iron out some of the details with the proposed Ocean City Adventure Fest, which would take place largely in and around the convention center. It would include police K-9 competitions and training, a police motorcycle rodeo in the parking lot, concerts at the Performing Arts Center and a hunting and fishing expo, including a gun show.

The latter has caused some heartburn for some city officials. It’s important to note the gun show would be part of a larger hunting and fishing fall expo, although no one would be able to walk into the show and purchase a gun.

The vendors would be vetted, and the producer would provide security. Buyers could make purchases with the appropriate waiting times applied and would later complete the transaction at an authorized dealer after considerable vetting. However, permitting the gun show at the larger series of events would require some ordinance changes approved by the Mayor and Council. Noccolino said the time was quickly approaching for the Mayor and Council to pull the trigger on the gun show and the larger series of events.

We need a yes or no at some point soon, or bring Cliff back before the Mayor and Council,” he said. “His position is, if there is no gun show, there is no show. I know there are some ordinance issues to work through and I know there are some issues to resolve with the police department.”

City Manager Terry McGean said he has had discussions with the Ocean City Police Department (OCPD) on some of the issues regarding the larger event series in general and the gun show specifically.

“The police department has some concerns,” he said. “They’re worried about two things. They are going to have to have personnel on hand to inventory all of the stuff. They want to make sure the promoter is providing security from the second the first gun shows up to the second the last one leaves.”

“We went to Annapolis and showed the video,” he said. “It should come back to the Mayor and Council. All of this looks great. The gun show piece is the emotional piece. … We need to keep putting the pressure on. We haven’t knocked them out. It’s only one punch and you don’t let your guard down after landing one punch.”

For his part, Noccolino said he has reached out to other convention center directors in the region about the proposed gun show element and has heard nothing but good things.

“I’ve talked to my colleagues and they can’t put high enough praise on the promoter that runs it,” he said. “The FBI and ATF are all involved. I’ve questioned my colleagues at other convention centers and they all support it. We just need some direction.”

Noccolino explained the OCPD and allied law enforcement agencies would have the area around the north loading dock to stage during the pop-up event after Thursday of Adventure Fest week. He also said the south loading dock area at the convention center would be available all week for law enforcement.

Perlozzo said City Solicitor Heather Stansbury would work out the details in terms of what needed to do on its end to permit the gun show as part of the larger event. There are strict federal regulations in place regarding the sale and transfer of weapons.

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2022/02...oncerns-promoter-likely-to-meet-with-council/

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    “The police department has some concerns,” he said. “They’re worried about two things. They are going to have to have personnel on hand to inventory all of the stuff. They want to make sure the promoter is providing security from the second the first gun shows up to the second the last one leaves.”

The police are planning to inventory all the guns? WTF I assume this isn't something that happens at other gun shows. I hope they pull out and take their business elsewhere and OC loses the revenue.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I will be on the boat fishing that weekend and not going to a gun show I can't walk out with anything. If I wanted to to to all the local shops, I'd just do it.
    Now if they had a fishing flea market, I"d go to that at the end of the day

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

The police are planning to inventory all the guns? WTF I assume this isn't something that happens at other gun shows. I hope they pull out and take their business elsewhere and OC loses the revenue.

If only the feds licensed people to do just that, it would really help the gestapo....

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As landlord of the Convention Center , they may specify what conduct they care to have their ( booth) renters engage .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    One does not preclude the other .

The newspaper feature appears to describe the Handgun ( 77R) scheme . We need to hear from the Promoter the actual fine print .

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    How can they prevent dealers from making sales at the show? If they're a dealer they're a dealer

Maybe the reporter doesn't know what he's talking about. We know how that works.

One does not preclude the other .

The newspaper feature appears to describe the Handgun ( 77R) scheme . We need to hear from the Promoter the actual fine print .

This is what it sounds like to me.

(1) although no one would be able to walk into the show and purchase a gun.

(2) Buyers could make purchases with the appropriate waiting times applied and would later complete the transaction at an authorized dealer after considerable vetting.

The reporter may have heard pieces of information (item 2 - he heard a discussion about the 7 day wait, and that a buyer would have to arrange the pickup after approval) and then assumed things that aren't true (item 1 - customers can't walk out with any firearm).

If you change his word 'gun' in sentence 1 to 'handgun' and assume by 'purchase' he means 'transfer' this accurately describes every gun show in Maryland :

(1) although no one would be able to walk into the show and purchase a handgun and walk out with it.

(2) Buyers could make purchases with the appropriate waiting times applied and would later complete the transaction at an authorized dealer after considerable vetting.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Made me think about when I was working in the firearms industry and worked a security and police expo in New Jersey. Now mind this was a show that only allowed pre-approved security and sworn police personnel with ID to attend. As much a trade show as it was a retail show and all guns were only there for display, no deliveries were being made at the show. The day started off with a New Jersey state trooper coming through and threatening to arrest any of the vendors who did not have their guns properly cabled and locked to their displays. And within the first 15 minutes of the show opening someone had already stolen a tactical bag worth a couple of hundred dollars from the booth across from us. Always nice to feel welcome.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Made me think about when I was working in the firearms industry and worked a security and police expo in New Jersey. Now mind this was a show that only allowed pre-approved security and sworn police personnel with ID to attend. As much a trade show as it was a retail show and all guns were only there for display, no deliveries were being made at the show. The day started off with a New Jersey state trooper coming through and threatening to arrest any of the vendors who did not have their guns properly cabled and locked to their displays. And within the first 15 minutes of the show opening someone had already stolen a tactical bag worth a couple of hundred dollars from the booth across from us. Always nice to feel welcome.

So, while they were watching the hogs, a chicken was stolen. But, no hogs were purchased, so all was well.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    So, while they were watching the hogs, a chicken was stolen. But, no hogs were purchased, so all was well.

It's just amazed me, and it kind of pissed me off I guess. I mean we're there putting on a show for them that they freaking want, and they're coming through threatening to arrest us because we've brought those bad assault weapons (for them to look at) and they need to be chained up just right. My territory was more or less all around the country depending on what needed to be done, and there were only two states I strongly disliked going to. New Jersey and Minnesota.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

New Jersey is the armpit of this nation and their state troopers look like Nazis

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom