• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Sitting fieldside as I type this. Nothing yet except a very annoying squirrel about 5 yards away.

Same here. I have been skunked 2 days in a row now. This afternoon I will change my hemisphere on the farm and go to the other side. The Deer have been on strike here for the past 2-3 days. The wind has been out of the NW and it's screwed up all pre-laid game plans. That wind Wednesday night cold really cold and would not stop blowing.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Same here. I have been skunked 2 days in a row now. This afternoon I will change my hemisphere on the farm and go to the other side. The Deer have been on strike here for the past 2-3 days. The wind has been out of the NW and it's screwed up all pre-laid game plans. That wind Wednesday night cold really cold and would not stop blowing.

The wind picked up here mid morning and I'm relocating for the afternoon. Hopefully it blows steady one way.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Well I couldn't help myself. I ordered a name plate to go with my mount plaque I made out in the woodshop for my Buck I got with the Optima Pistol. I don't normally go this extreme, but, since it was a "first" I had to do it up.

:lol2: don't let you PETA see it...you'll hurt their feelings you killed an innocent creature:lol2::lol2::lol2:;)

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Taking the bow out tomorrow so I can shoot buck or doe if either gets close enough (I still-hunt on the ground). Gotta wear orange, but looking forward to being in the woods in the cool weather.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    My heater sure is comfy, cozy, and warm this morning. I am pretending to be sitting in a tree right now, but, I prefer the warmth of this heater. I think I have reached the age where heat beats hunting. I also miss my fat. I can't stand the cold any more these days. I should not have lost so much weight over the past few years LOL I'll go out this evening after it warms up a bit...

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Well on a quest to get my first deer with a gun, I had a golden opportunity to shoot a very good sized doe yesterday. I shot that deer 5 times with a hawken and it misfired every single time. Even with the percussion cap popping I had 5 deer at 8-25 yards and they never moved out of range. I finally just sat back down disgusted. Back to bow hunting for me.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Well on a quest to get my first deer with a gun, I had a golden opportunity to shoot a very good sized doe yesterday. I shot that deer 5 times with a hawken and it misfired every single time. Even with the percussion cap popping I had 5 deer at 8-25 yards and they never moved out of range. I finally just sat back down disgusted. Back to bow hunting for me.

Grease or bore butter (or oil+dirt) plugging up the nipple, would be my first guess.

Were you shooting powder, or pellets?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

Two things I highly advise when using a Hawken style rifle. First is to upgrade the nipple to a Flame Thrower or a Red Hot and the second is to use Pyrodex P powder and not RS. The P "pistol" powder is a a finer powder and burns much better in a hammer gun. The finer powder allows the powder grains to get in the nipple port better and will not clog the port.

You can not use pellets in a Hawken.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Two things I highly advise when using a Hawken style rifle. First is to upgrade the nipple to a Flame Thrower or a Red Hot and the second is to use Pyrodex P powder and not RS. The P "pistol" powder is a a finer powder and burns much better in a hammer gun. The finer powder allows the powder grains to get in the nipple port better and will not clog the port.

You can not use pellets in a Hawken.

:thumbsup: I have a screw on the side of my Hawken where the nipple screws into that I open and had to pour some loose powder in and put the screw back on. I then fired the pellets. I dunno if you are supposed to do that but it worked. I didn't use pellets again for that particular rifle. I also had a misfire before but it was after I ran some bore cleaner foam down it and it didn't dry up all the way so the powder got a little wet. I opened the screw port again and put some loose powder in and got it to fire.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Yeeeeaaaahhhhhh.

I tried pellets in an old style percussion Kentucky rifle. Once!

Click-Pop.

Click-Pop.

Click-Pop.

My immediate thought was: "Where's the KaaaaaBooooom"!!!

P.S. Got a small doe last night. I named her Sausage.

Also, I like that name tag. Who makes them? A trophy shop? Local PETA branch?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    :thumbsup: I have a screw on the side of my Hawken where the nipple screws into that I open and had to pour some loose powder in and put the screw back on. I then fired the pellets. I dunno if you are supposed to do that but it worked. I didn't use pellets again for that particular rifle. I also had a misfire before but it was after I ran some bore cleaner foam down it and it didn't dry up all the way so the powder got a little wet. I opened the screw port again and put some loose powder in and got it to fire.

OMG no wonder you had problems. Pellets are only to be used in "inline" rifles... that's what the hole in the center of the pellets are for. That's their "ignition point". Trying to set fire to the side of the pellet is no good a'tall.

They ignite like this:

illustration.jpg

This is also a major reason why I do not, never, ever, under any circumstance use pellets. The biggest issue I have seen with them is one pellet will light and the other one, or two, get blown out the barrel either unburned or smoking. Also, technically the pellets are supposed to be inserted in the muzzle in one direction. Look at your pellets and you'll notice a black, darker band, at the base of the pellets on the part that was in bottom of the factory box. That is the ignition end.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yeeeeaaaahhhhhh.

I tried pellets in an old style percussion Kentucky rifle. Once!

Click-Pop.

Click-Pop.

Click-Pop.

My immediate thought was: "Where's the KaaaaaBooooom"!!!

P.S. Got a small doe last night. I named her Sausage.

Also, I like that name tag. Who makes them? A trophy shop? Local PETA branch?

Yep Pellets are not designed for any Muzzleloader except inlines... Like I said the hole in the center is the utmost importance.

The plates I get from this fella here. I have gotten 12 plates from him and he has them to me in 3 days or less. BUY HERE $2.99 EACH

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom